Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT Iphone 1.6 & iPhone 3GS - Poor Signal
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT Iphone 1.6 & iPhone 3GS - Poor Signal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
st1967
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:16 pm    Post subject: TT Iphone 1.6 & iPhone 3GS - Poor Signal Reply with quote

Is it just me or is the GPS in the 3GS not that brilliant.

Was so looking forward to my drive to work today with IQ Routes and HD Traffic after ditching my WM6.5 and ancient TT7

Loved the IQ Routes when they popped up, but seriously let down by the 4 times the iPhone came up with POOR GPS RECEPTION in a 60 mile drive.

That coupled to the 5 miles I had already driven before it got a fix this morning I thought I had gone back to SatNav 5 years ago.

Am I seriously going to also have to buy that overpriced TomTom cradle in order to use TT on the iPhone to my liking?

PS. the Speed Camera App worked quite happily in the backgroud by the way (when I had the GPS signal that is) so didn't have to mess around adding the POIs manually.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 3G's was dire, the 3GS was better but still not as good as current equivalents and the 4 is as good as any other.

You can also look at Arkon's cradle or the one from Mio, you don't have to use the TomTom one but none are cheap.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are other cradles available, of which Magellan/Mio is the same £100, and the Arkon is much cheaper. But do research it a bit first - one contributor, (see NickG, HERE) has concluded that the Arkon GPS performance isn't great.

I've used both the TT and Magellan/Mio and they both performed satisfactorily for GPS connection.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
st1967
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, will check those out.

Turning into a bit of a dear do !! With the £70 already spent on the App and Traffic and now another circa £60+ for a cradle I might as well have bought a Live 1000 dedicated Rolling Eyes

Still enjoying the App store, it's everything Windows wishes theirs was when the sold us 6.5 mobile users up the garden path Wink
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's no consolation but if you are planning an upgrade at some point, the iPhone 4 does not need any GPS augmentation although the amplified speaker is still handy to have.

Personally I just use a Brodit cradle with my iPhone 4.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

st1967 wrote:
I might as well have bought a Live 1000 dedicated

Had you done that you would have been more than disapointed.

3G wasn't very good at all and did benefit from the external GPS cradle, 3GS wasn't much better and again required the use of an external GPS equipped cradle to get decent perfomance. The iPhone4 is considerably better negating the need for any external GPS signal, I simply use a Brodit powered holder for the iPhone4 which is located low down on the center console with no issue at all in terms of signal reception.

Contact your phone contract provider and find out when you can upgrade the current phone, even factor in an early upgrade charge (ask them how much to upgrade the iPhone now) rather than spending £100 on something that isn't needed with the iPhone4 - Mike
st1967
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may do when they come down in price, I only got the iphone because it was in excellent condition and the right price, there really was nothing wrong with my Touch Pro 2 other than it is wm6.5 and a dead os. While there is still some resale value in it I will move it on.

I have already ordered a plain brodit mount for the iphone (another £15 Laughing Out Loud) and will use that for a bit yet, will see how many times it loses connection driving home.

I'll just watch fleaby until I can get the TT mount for the right price. Seen some at £60 brand new, but then I will need the brodit for that too unless I want it on the windscreen Laughing
st1967
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Contact your phone contract provider and find out when you can upgrade the current phone, even factor in an early upgrade charge (ask them how much to upgrade the iPhone now) rather than spending £100 on something that isn't needed with the iPhone4 - Mike

Not on contract, I get a basic phone from work, however it does have a data bundle so I can buy whatever I want and use it. So it is swings and roundabouts, I don't pay to use it but I have to buy the phone. So I've just bought the iphone 3GS second hand.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to power the iPhone in the car when using it for GPS or it will have a flat battery within an hour.

You can convert the car kit by TomTom from a Windscreen mount to Brodit style mount quite easily, I have written up how to do this on the forum somewhere! - TomTom also supply the iPhone Car Kit in the Brodit format also negating the need for the windscreen mounting - Mike
st1967
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, anybody know where you can get it any cheaper than this?

http://www.proclipusa.com/store/products/tomtom-car-kit-for-iphone-for-in-car-installation-with-proclip-9uob00104.aspx

Works out around £88
st1967
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A week and 500 miles driven with the iPhone.

Learning to live with GPS jumping about, but it is better when on the motorway, get into a town, or A roads and it does struggle to maintain the signal.

I've ordered the tomtom car kit now (refurb from ebay so a bit cheaper) so should be sorted next week.

Love the new TomTom though after putting up with TT7 for years. IQ Routes and HD Traffic are brilliant. HD Traffic even showed slow moving traffic at the bottom of our road during the Bolton rush hour @ 5pm (yes there is one Laughing Out Loud)

Camera App also great, that nice lady told me I wasn't using the lastest database, so a quick press of the button and I was !! No more syncing phones when I remembered

Happy Days Laughing (even though it cost me another £60 Wink )

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: