Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Up to date Maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Up to date Maps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> SatNav User Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
auntyflossie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:24 pm    Post subject: Up to date Maps Reply with quote

I have been using Tomtom on my Mitac Mio P550 for some time and have enjoyed having the spoken Speed camera announcements. Recently I have noticed that my maps are considerably out of date. As I am running Windows Mobile5 on this PDA I have tried to get new maps for the version of Tomtom that runs on it. I have spoken to Tomtom and they say that none are available. So I got hold of Igo8 which had more up to date maps and this ran fine on my device but unfortunately this mapping system does not support Spoken Speed Camera announcements. Has anyone any advise on a good up to date mapping system that would run on my PDA with all the benefits of Tomtom?
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are several skins about for iGO8 that enable spoken speed cam alerts such as those by gurjon and Dimka. Have you tried any of them?
auntyflossie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I am not familiar with your terminology. Could you explain in more detail as I am very interested.
Thanks Martyn
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Martyn.
The basic user interface (UI) in iGO8 is contained in a load of script files in a zip file called data.zip which is in the same folder as iGO8.exe. iGO have made it easy for third parties to modify the user interface extensively (provided that you have a handle on the script language) by adding another zip file that contains your changes in the folder iGO8/content/skin.

A load of people have writen these 'skins' that improve (in their, and other's opinions) the UI of iGO, some of which have included voice alerts for speedcams. If you google for the names that I mentioned in my previous post, you can download these skins and apply them to your iGO to give you the facility that you wish for.

If you chose to do this, for goodness sake take a full backup of yor SD card or device memory before you start so you can go back if it all goes pear shaped on you.
M8
auntyflossie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok friend, I will take a look on the web and try your suggestion. Thank You.
Martyn

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> SatNav User Reviews All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: