Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speed Camera Database
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed Camera Database

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EricWB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:17 pm    Post subject: Speed Camera Database Reply with quote

The website is suggesting the database available is still the one dated 23 March 2011 but I downloaded one yesterday that had a different name to my last one for 23 March so is the website just wrong?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was an error last week see Here - Mike
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, each and every download has a different name indicated by the random looking characters at the end.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Speed Camera Database Reply with quote

EricWB wrote:
The website is suggesting the database available is still the one dated 23 March 2011 but I downloaded one yesterday that had a different name to my last one for 23 March so is the website just wrong?

Different name? The file you download has a unique filename every time. If you re-download 5mins later it will be different again even though the data within is identical. That has always been the case.
EricWB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O.K. I understand now perhaps it might be an idea not to have a unique file name for every download, I am on the cusp of dementia now and to know you really have done something before might be useful.

Some forum members will know what I mean even more so if you have to get up in the night just to check that you did or did not do whatever you thought you may have done and have a pee whilst you are up anyway.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The release date etc. is in the file 'release.txt' within the zip file. I think the random chars at the end is because each download is done 'on the fly' Wink
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EricWB wrote:
O.K. I understand now perhaps it might be an idea not to have a unique file name for every download.

We don't use unique file names for the hell of it, there are very good reasons why we do so, one of which is as part of a piracy-protection strategy so whilst I sympathise, they will have to stay - sorry Crying or Very sad
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EricWB wrote:
Some forum members will know what I mean even more so if you have to get up in the night just to check that you did or did not do whatever you thought you may have done and have a pee whilst you are up anyway.

Mine is get up for the pee, then start worrying in case there was something I should be waking up to check that I did or did not do whatever I should have done or whatever I should not have done. At least I haven't yet started waking up to check whether I should have done a pee. Laughing

For your memory's sake, try my practice. When I download, I then create a new Folder/Directory named as the date of the Wednesday update. I unzip the download into that. So I have a folder called Updates, containing sub folders 2011-03-23, 2011-03-16 and so on (goes back to 2006-05-31 when updates were approx monthly).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, I always add the date to the start of the name. It would be nice if the page that appears as the file save dialog appears had the update date on, as I have to remember, or guess. The only clue is unfortunately when you last downloaded IIRC.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: