Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Forced Home & Navcore updates. Is 9.058 safe?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Forced Home & Navcore updates. Is 9.058 safe?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

davemcwish wrote:
I didn't realise that it had updated until after it happened so I've got 9.058; it's a nice (ish) layout.

Given the number of outstanding issues, particularly the very slow connection to the Live services, why did TT initiate the forced update ?

Because their testing didn't show up the problems. And I do think that overall it is better despite the issues. Slow delay in getting traffic - just turn it on a bit earlier. Occasional reboot? Once per 3 long journeys perhaps, and if traffic doesn't come back it probably reboots again to resolve that too.
RavyGravyDavy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davemcwish wrote:
I didn't realise that it had updated until after it happened so I've got 9.058; it's a nice (ish) layout.

Given the number of outstanding issues, particularly the very slow connection to the Live services, why did TT initiate the forced update ?

Thats a good question.

Had a long and refreshingly candid chat with TT Support 2 days ago about the very issue. It was interesting that his personal view was that he wouldn't let 9.058 anywhere near a GOx40 Live device, because of the known issues it induces.

He also agreed that the forced update was a backward step and raised it with 2nd line. He has since got back to me and indicated that they are working on removing this in another update to V2.8.

I agree that 9.058 has an attractive GUI, and I do like it, but the drawbacks outweigh the advantages for me. But that said, the jury is out, as there are also some who clearly like 9.058, have no or few problems and wish to go with it while accepting any limitations it may introduce. Others, like me, would prefer a fully working unit.

I think therefore that it comes down to personal choice; so if and when TT reintroduce the option to select or deselect the Navcore update in TT home, then we will all be happy.
franb
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RavyGravyDavy wrote:
so if and when TT reintroduce the option to select or deselect the Navcore update in TT home, then we will all be happy.

Except by then, those who don't like it will have already beed forced to take it. Well done TTHQ!
RavyGravyDavy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

franb wrote:
RavyGravyDavy wrote:
so if and when TT reintroduce the option to select or deselect the Navcore update in TT home, then we will all be happy.

Except by then, those who don't like it will have already beed forced to take it. Well done TTHQ!

.....unless they do the 'hack', fooling 2.7 into thinking it is 2.8 as you have already outlined earlier...? Very Happy
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would guess that less than 0.1% of TT Home users will have heard about hacking Home and have actually done it.

As to TomTom allowing the forcing of the update as their testing did not show up the problems, that is just so false, TomTom have known about the problem and acknowledged it, months before they changed Home to force the update.
RavyGravyDavy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree entirely Mr T, only the reasonably computer savvy would be able to find the hack, let alone expedite it.

And I also agree that TT knew long ago about the issues with 9.058, I see your first post on the subject was Sep 16 2010, so that's getting on for over 6 months since these became known, so why the heck they made it 'forced' is anyones guess?

Perhaps from a support point of view, they are seeking to standardise software versions across platforms, ie less combinations of software and units, so that they will have a narrower support overhead with everyone operating to the same Navcore version on a particular unit.

Whatever the reason, on our 'issue', ie forced update of 9.058 on a GOx40, they havent covered themselves in glory.
MRCC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RavyGravyDavy wrote:
Whatever the reason, on our 'issue', ie forced update of 9.058 on a GOx40, they havent covered themselves in glory.

My opinion of TT: Left hand doesn't know what the Right hand is doing Sad
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I imagine we're all going to have to accept the shortcomings of the 'old' generation TomTom models because I can't see TomTom dedicating many resources to new nav core versions or updates when they clearly want us all on the web based Home 3. What are the chances that even the problem ridden 100 series will be superseded soon with more new models hitting the markets but all no doubt using Home 3
RavyGravyDavy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you are probably right, I guess I am just being kind in thinking there is some logic to what is actually just a complete cock up. Sad

GO 940 Live V8.371, Live 1005
Tomtom Home V2.7 (hacked into thinking it is 10.0.0.0!)
Snooper 3Zero
Windows 7 Home Premium
RATOM
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:38 pm    Post subject: Cannot save application dot ini file to tick home Reply with quote

Hi

In response to a question about TT Home forcing update, one of the suggestions (from David !) was to change the version. I have 2.7 at present. This is what I did.

Went to programme files, tomtom home 2, xul folder and changed version to 2.8.1.2218.

But it does not let me save the change. The error messages is "...cannot create the file..make sure the path and file name are correct" if after changing the version in notepad, I go to File and Save option.

And if I click the cross to close the notepad page, I am asked if I want to save changes. Clicking Save, throws the above message again.

Any advice ?

ratom
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure the setting in notepad is to save 'as all files'
RATOM
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks David

In notepad, the setting in Save As is "all files" but still no luck.

ratom
RavyGravyDavy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not quite so simple in Windows 7, as before saving, you have to edit the permissions of the application.ini file;

1. Right click the application.ini file, select 'Properties'
2. Select 'Security' tab, click 'Edit' under 'To change permissions'.
3. Under Group or User names select 'Users'
4. Under 'Permissions for Users', tick the 'Full control' box under the 'Allow' column, all boxes underneath should become ticked.
5. Click 'Apply', then Ok and Ok to exit the Properties box.

You should now be able to select 'Save' and overwrite the original file.

GO 940 Live V8.371, Live 1005
Tomtom Home V2.7 (hacked into thinking it is 10.0.0.0!)
Snooper 3Zero
Windows 7 Home Premium
RATOM
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave

Thanks a lot.

Worked instantly!

Connected my 740 to home and all is working great.

Once again, David and Dave both thank you very much

ratom
ratman633
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm being offered "2.8.1.2218lt" is the "LT" something new/different or have they all been like this?

TomTom 540
v9.510
Map v905.4754

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: