Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Launch Online Live Traffic Map With HD Live Data
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Launch Online Live Traffic Map With HD Live Data

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:34 pm    Post subject: TomTom Launch Online Live Traffic Map With HD Live Data Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.comTomTom have launched an online live traffic map service today.

Powered by HD Traffic, the new service gives everyone the ability to view live traffic data overlaid on the TomTom map. The service covers the the 18 countries where HD Traffic is available including UK, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, South Africa and New Zealand.

Whilst TomTom will no doubt be hoping that this free service will serve as an advert for the quality of the HD Traffic data, it also serves as a useful tool for anyone planning to undertake a journey.

The map shows clusters of traffic problems as a single icon which also shows the number of incidents in that area. As you zoom in further you can see individual traffic incidents and what the cause of each issue is.

To visit the live traffic site goto http://tomtom.com/livetraffic.
tomthumb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a fantastic service but if HD traffic is available free online why would anyone need to purchase a subscription? What stops people simply using the service by connecting with their smart phones.
I for one am only interested for the most part in HD traffic, I'm not that bothered about navigation so this method would be perfect for me.
In fact if this had been available a couple of months ago I wouldn't have purchased my satnav and yes I did try searching for an online version of the service before I made my purchase so others will to.
Is it possible that this may be a shot in the foot? Question
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're driving up the M1 and there is an accident ahead. It appears on the website. How does that help you? Does the website automatically reroute you? Does it alert you? Can it read out the new instructions to you?
tomthumb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
You're driving up the M1 and there is an accident ahead. It appears on the website. How does that help you? Does the website automatically reroute you? Does it alert you? Can it read out the new instructions to you?

No Embarassed

However Smile for me I only drive a short conjested route to work, probably like alot of people. I know the alternative routes to get to work so if I am alerted to conjestion on the route ahead, I reroute myself.
So the internet service would be good enough for me.
How many others?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough.
Kaybee40
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:44 pm    Post subject: Traffic Information Reply with quote

The problem with all the various traffic information systems is the lack of accuracy and precision. I have incar satnav and a Garmin with TMC on a motorcycle and both these have reported traffic problems, the incar device automatically rerouting me, where there have been no problem. The biggest culprit is the Highways Agency with their overhead gantry signs. Most drivers ignore them since in most cases the information is simply wrong (once showing a motorway slip road blocked when it was actually on the opposite carriageway to that indicated) and also frequently not cancelled down when the problem has disappeared. If Mr Cameron wants to save money spent by Government Departments he could usefully disband the Highways Agency, save labour costs and maintenance costs on the overhead gantries.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Except HA also maintain the roads so that would be a rather drastic measure for the odd case where a matrix sign is displaying out of date messages.

They are a lot better these days but I still see the odd one where the warning is for an issue long since cleared.
philce
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont forget lots of the messages (Queue Caution) etc and the 40 speeds are set automatically depending on the speed of traffic ahead.

When 2 lorries decide to calibrate their speedlimiters and block 2 lanes of the M1 going south towards J22 then everything slows, the MIDAS (I think it's called) senses the slowing traffic and hey presto its christmas and loads of flashing signs.

By the time we get to the hill the traffic has gone (lorries decided to pull in again) and we all moan why the signs are telling us to slow!

If anyone actually did take notice and slow down though! That would give the Highways "officers" another reason to close a motorway!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: