Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Has my 520 gone mad?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Has my 520 gone mad?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:30 pm    Post subject: Has my 520 gone mad? Reply with quote

Can anyone explain why this happened. Today I was traveling north on the M1 heading for Doncaster and noticed my TT has routed me to come off at J26 and travel via Nottingham/Ollerton, anyway I just carried on, when i got to J27 it wanted to come off and go through Mansfield, worse still when I got as far J28 it suggested I turn left, do a lap of Alfreton Ind Est and then carry on up the A61 to Sheffield.
While all this was happening my TMC was showing it was clear all the way home (and so was the matrix).
It's never done anything like this before, the only thing I've done is install the 865 maps and that worked first time with no problems.

Any ideas!
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has the Option to Always plan fastest routes, in Planning preferences been deselected?

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last time I saw something like this a trusted MapSharer had marked a section of the A1 as closed even though it was only closed for a few hours overnight for a bridge removal. Look for a White and pink striped section of road on the route.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you mention TMC, I assume you've got the RDS-TMC thingy. Have you by any chance got it set to reroute automatically, or has it become set that way by the new map? I ask because I guess the TMC would show it clear all the way home if it had automatically adjusted the route to avoid whatever it had information about being not clear all the way.

I've just done a similar route and was not rerouted like you, so it doesn't look like map errors.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it must be due to the settings of the new maps, I'll go through all the menu's and see if any have changed when I installed them.
I sat for ages thinking what it could be, and you seem to have solved it straight away.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be aware that doing a demo run from your armchair will not pick up the RDS-TMC, so a demo run might be a quick test - it wouldn't divert for traffic. Do a Prepare Route from say Leicester to Doncaster, then Browse Route and look where it goes, i.e. Nottingham or not. Nevertheless, still check to see what your traffic preferences are.

Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've been out with it all day today and it's been alright. My last delivery was in Nottingham city center so i came out on the 610 onto the M1 at J26 and it came straight home, no fancy trips around Alfreton this time, so I guess it was having an off day.

By the way I checked all the preference settings and they had not changed, they were all as before, so again don't know?.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You haven't answered my question. Have you got it set to automatically avoid traffic?

hertz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too am mystified by a route I was given by my new Go Live 1005 last week (not yet updated Evil or Very Mad ). I was heading up the A1 from Kettering towards Tadcaster. I was turned off the A1 at Jct 35 onto the M18, up to the M62, then west along the M62 to rejoin the A1. I have just tried re-selecting the route, and I am told that the route involves a "closed road" and did I want to avoid it. It would appear to think a large chunk of the A1 is closed. I do not have the TMC set to automatically avoid, but it does not seem to matter if I select yes or no. A final point - my original route was recommended to be A14/M1, which I did not want, and asked it for an alternative to go on the A1. Anyone know what gives?

Ian
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fastest Route can lead to some anomalies:-

If I plan to travel from Home in Southport PR8 to Blackpool FY1 my choice would be a 33 mile journey via Preston, TomTom however always suggests I do Ormskirk, M58, M6 & M55 to Blackpool -47 miles - checking the journey time they can be exactly the same but the TomTom preferred route with motorways, which is one hec of a detour.

Interestingly, Google maps also suggests the longer route despite both routes taking as estimated 1hr 8 mins.

It's a pity TomTom don't have presets for Fastest, shortest, eco & 'Common Sense' routes!
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, for many many months last year the RDS-TMC system incorrectly blocked a lane heading Eastbound on the busy A720 Edinburgh City Bypass. SO infuriating because other than alter the traffic preferences which then affects the whole of the current route.

Unfortunately, as far as i`m aware, RDS-TMC is data not Tomtoms own data, but sourced from elsewhere, ITIS or something like that.

Steven

iPhone 12
hertz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to update my message, I have tried setting the same route with my older GO 730, which has the most up-to-date map installed, and the routing is exactly the same - a big dog-leg round the motorways!

Ian
Stampy72
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hertz wrote:
A final point - my original route was recommended to be A14/M1, which I did not want, and asked it for an alternative to go on the A1. Anyone know what gives?

Ian

I get the same problem if I want to go somewhere in the Midlands - Rugby Railway Station for example.

It sends me back to Peterborough on the A47, then South through some MAJOR roadworks on the A1260, right onto the A1139, and then A605, A14, M6 and finally A426

In theory, it SHOULD send me down the A43 to Kettering and then A14 to Catthorpe, then through the village of Catthorpe - across the A5 - and then the B5414 straight to the Station.

Weird!
GPS v1.20, Boot 5.5138
Map : "Europe_North" v 900.4602
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1304 wrote:
Today I was traveling north on the M1 heading for Doncaster and noticed my TT has routed me to come off at J26 and travel via Nottingham/Ollerton, anyway I just carried on, when i got to J27 it wanted to come off and go through Mansfield, worse still when I got as far J28 it suggested I turn left, do a lap of Alfreton Ind Est and then carry on up the A61 to Sheffield.
..... the only thing I've done is install the 865 maps and that worked first time with no problems.

I just tried to emulate this on a Go940 running v865 W+C Europe maps and couldn't reproduce your problem.

Starting point: M1 northbound, a few miles south of Junction 26
Destination: Doncaster city centre.
Planning preferences set to: "fastest"

It routed straight up the M1 as far as J32N and then onto the M18.

Did you say you can't reproduce it on a demo route now?
Were you using RDS-TMC traffic receiver at the time?

cheers
Andy

Last edited by Andy_P on Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:23 pm; edited 2 times in total
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hertz wrote:
I was heading up the A1 from Kettering towards Tadcaster. I was turned off the A1 at Jct 35 onto the M18, up to the M62, then west along the M62 to rejoin the A1. I have just tried re-selecting the route, and I am told that the route involves a "closed road" and did I want to avoid it.

Again, using v865 W+CE maps, I couldn't find the A1 going through Kettering? So I planned a route from the A1/A14 at Huntingdon...

Starting point: A1 junction with A14 just west of Huntingdon
Destination: Tadcaster city centre.
Planning preferences set to: "fastest"

It routed straight up the A1/A1M all the way to J44N and then onto the
A64 towards Tadcaster.

to get closer to your situation, I repeated it on a Go1000 still using 'Europe' v850.2827, but got the same results - straight up the A1.

hertz wrote:
It would appear to think a large chunk of the A1 is closed. I do not have the TMC set to automatically avoid, but it does not seem to matter if I select yes or no.

It does sound like a reroute caused by "Traffic", but were you really using a TMC receiver on a new Go1005? Or were you using HD Traffic via the Live Services?

hertz wrote:
Just to update my message, I have tried setting the same route with my older GO 730, which has the most up-to-date map installed, and the routing is exactly the same - a big dog-leg round the motorways!

This time with no "Traffic" system involved at all?
Can you give exact start and end points, map version, and planning preferences settings, so I can try to re-create this? (as I can't so far!).
Have you tried to reproduce it on the Go1005 using advance planning?

Cheers
Andy

Last edited by Andy_P on Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: