Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - iPhone 4 & Speed Camera Database
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

iPhone 4 & Speed Camera Database

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
snowman71
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:34 am    Post subject: iPhone 4 & Speed Camera Database Reply with quote

I have an iPhone 4 & have TomTom Western Europe, but with the Speed Cameras out of date i purchased a subscription & followed the settings to install the speed camera database onto my iPhone using DiskAid etc.. the iPhone guide is very good but needs updating as the 2 files to download have me confused!!!

There seems to be a discrepancy between the "Zip File containing the modified bitmaps and .ogg sound warnings. Updated for TomTom iPhone v1.6" & the "PocketGPSWorld SpeedZoned UK Database in TomTom .ov2 format" namely the iPhone download file doesnt contain the "Pmobile" images or relevant .ogg sounds, also the iPhone download doenst contain the .ov2 files so i assume that i copy the ones that match the iPhone files? i would rename all the .bmp to .png but then i would have to copy the "mapsettings.cfg" file over!!

It's confusing having to use some of the files from each download!! wouldnt it be possible to consolidate them all into one downloaded zip file?

I have got the iPhone app which is very good & currently run it in the background but i want the speed camera updates on my TomTom.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We do not officially support the TomTom iPhone method. There is a lengthy thread on the install with full details here.

If you have any questions on that method, please post them in that thread where the author of the process can assist.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The instructions will be ammended later tonight as currently it reflects how to get the work around going prior to us making the zip download available directly from the page.

As for making a single download available, this would be rather difficult and probably lead to more issues in the long run, only the ov2 files need to be updated on the device with each release of the database from this site, the renamed icons, ogg files and mapsettings.cfg remain untouched so don't need to be altered each week.

As you have an iPhone4 let me know your e-mail address via PM and I will send you over a different set of icons to try which display far better on the retina screen. I guess these alternate icons could be made part of an iPhone4 specific download on the instruction page but that will again lead to users putting the wrong file set on their iPhone depending upon model, too many choices lead to confusion.

The instructions were intended originally to explain to forum members how to get custom POI files and warnings working within the TomTom app.

Why are there no pMobiles in the zip download?
Quite simple I don't use them and didn't include them, if you want to add them to your device feel free to rename each icon file as per the instructions and use a TomTom PND to configure the POI Alerts to generate the mapsettings.cfg file, make sure its running a v860 map if using the v1,6 TomTom app.

There are way too many options available from the database to cover all possible configurations, the download is nothing more than a demonstration of what can be achieved - Mike
snowman71
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The current iphone instructions are somewhat out of date and have too many assumptions for someone who hasnt done this before, while i applaud the work you are doing it feels to me as someone who is new to this that you have tried to cater for too many variables which seems too complicated!!

However i have managed to get everything working 100% with the only small issue being as you mentioned the icons are too small.

2 x questions though:

1. are the pmobiles inc into the iphone app?
2. i understand the pmobiles arent inc in the "mapsettings.cfg" but am confused how to add them, do i have to use a dedicated TomTom "PND" (unknown acronym) "Personal Navigation Device???" i.e. a "TomTom GO, XL, VIA etc.." & then how would i configure the POI's?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to use the pMobiles then you would need to do the following:

Rename the pMobile icons files eg:

pocketgps_uk_pMobile_30.bmp

to

pocketgps_uk_pMobile_30.png

The above needs to be done for each icon file (this also means the X2 icons), add all the pMobile icons to your map folder using DiskAid.

Locate a set of suitable ogg audio files to accompany the pMobile files and add those to your map folder using DiskAid.

Download the speed zoned database in the ov2 format including the pMobiles and copy them to the map folder using DiskAid.

To create the necessary "mapsettings.cfg file:

Use a TomTom PND (Personal Navigation Device) running map v860, install all the POI files to its map folder and configure the POI files for warnings as per your needs.

Copy the MapSettings.cfg file from the PND to your computer.

Rename the file from:

MapSettings.cfg

To

mapsettings.cfg

Copy the mapsettings.cfg file to:

UK-Ireland/ Documents/ United_Kingdom_and_Replublic_of_Ireland folder

(above location is for UK&ROI if you have Western_Europe coverage substitute UK&ROI for Western_Europe).

As for how to configure the warnings, on the PND device you go to Change Preferences/ Manage POI/ Warn When Near POI and select each POI category in turn - Mike
snowman71
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help, i have put them on mt iphone so i can see them but as i dont have a seperate dedicated TomTom PND i cant configure the mapsettings.cfg, however its not the end of the world!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: