Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Need your help to replace a Satmap & maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Need your help to replace a Satmap & maps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xcell1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:05 am    Post subject: Need your help to replace a Satmap & maps Reply with quote

OK I've just done what you all secretly fear doing, I drove off with my satmap on the roof of the car and it has disappeared without trace. My insurance doesn't cover me for stupidity, so I need to replace the whole lot at my own expense and I'm looking for some help to do it as cheaply as possible.

I had a self centred 110kmx110km 1:25K map and a whole of Scotland 1:50K map which were on a single card. I bought these separately from Satmap and had paid for them to be consolidated and made toggable on one card
I had free access to the online route planner because I bought it 3 years ago and had registered my unit
I had the rechargeable battery

The best idea seems to be to by a UK Plus unit with complete 1:50K GB map which I've seen new at between £320 and £370 on Amazon and others, then send the map card to Satmap and buy a new self centred 110kmx110km 1:25K map and get the two consolidated and made toggable on one card at an additional cost of £200 + £15 + £15 (overall total minimum £550 plus postage gulp!!)

Can you advise me if there are problems with the above approach (I want to make sure I don't get an old unit with out of date software or software platform)

Is there any chance I could get Satmap to replace my maps free? I did buy them from Satmap and they consolidated them separately so they should have a record, also I have reported the unit lost to the police so I've got a lost and found No, I would be prepared to buy the replacement unit direct from them to prove that I was indeed replacing a lost unit, I'd probably go for the Bike bundle at £347 if that was the case.

A couple of other minor points which are clouding my decision making, I presume my access to the online planner will still be valid from my last machine (I need to know this if I go down the Bike bundle route) but will it complicate things when I try to sync with my new machine?

Is there any news of a replacement for the Active 10? Although I've no complaints about the features, it's getting a bit long in the tooth for a gadget and I'd hate to have a new model coming out in 6 months time having just spent a small fortune.
Rogerfrit
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would send the above mail to Satmap Customer Service.
As an existing customer, they may be able to come up with a deal for you.
Always worth a try.......
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Satmaps FAQs:

The access to the Route Planner and Route Share Network is linked to the original purchase and cannot be transferred.

so you could be out of luck there Sad
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give them a ring on 0845 873 0101 and see what they can offer to do - Mike
rothers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
From Satmaps FAQs:

The access to the Route Planner and Route Share Network is linked to the original purchase and cannot be transferred.

so you could be out of luck there Sad

The original serial number will still work fine for accessing the route planner.
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:06 pm    Post subject: If you can , ..... Reply with quote

Please let us know how you get on, as I've often wondered the same thing, 'what if?'
Xcell1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Full marks to Satmap, they are replacing all my maps for an admin charge of £15, all I had to do was provide proof of purchase (order No from email conformation). They have advised that my existing registration would still be valid, so I should still have access to the route planner even with a new machine, regardless, for the replacement unit I've decided to go for the UK Plus option with full 1:50K UK map, this should keep things simple for registration, syncing, upgrades and will give me the full UK map as a nice to have back up plus with a voucher for a third off a 1:25K 60x60km map it gives me an excuse for a new map! I will be backing up my data in future as a record of what I have and the lanyard will never leave my neck until I am safely at home!
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent news....I wonder if it's still £15 if you have 8 maps on one cards ?
Xcell1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assumed the charge was for the cost of a new card and P&P, so provided Satmap had already consolidated them at some point in the past it shouldn't be much different regardless of the number of maps. As a point of note my new machine is noticeable faster when scrolling and zooming in (not enough to justify replacing an old machine I hasten to add, but at least a small silver lining in the sorry affair!). I should also have said thanks to all of you who replied to my original post.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gald it all sorted for you and what great customer service ... almost makes me want to go out and buy a satmap but suspect my trusty Etrex will have to last a while longer yet!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: