Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - help with tomtom traffic dots
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

help with tomtom traffic dots
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
spook51 wrote:

Or two people in one vehicle with different Traffic-equipped sat-navs etc. One to drive, the other to evaluate and make notes.

But if they disagreed, how would you know if the reported incidents on the "other" suggested routes were right?

Verification via Highways Agency and Traffic Master web sites.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I trust those less than TT Traffic!

Surely the only way is to all head off in different directions, slavishly following the calculated routes, and to see who gets there first?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
I trust those less than TT Traffic!

Surely the only way is to all head off in different directions, slavishly following the calculated routes, and to see who gets there first?

That's not fair!! You drive like a maniac with MapShare Corrections and I drive like a careful, courteous, not-a-single-blame-accident-in-50-years, lovable, handsome, once-slim, 55mpg whitevanman. Wouldn't give a true comparison.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pass me my 'Acme' cloning kit....
WackyRaces
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I turned my 940 on today around 2pm there were 450 traffic incidents reported and the dots on the map seemed to stretch up to nearly 100 miles away from my location but then stopped very abruptly at what was clearly a boundary point.

I wonder if they restrict the range over which traffic incidents are reported the most when their servers and/or the Vodafone data network are the busiest (i.e. Monday to Friday in the peak hour). Or may be they are fine tuning the range over which HD Traffic data is supplied to strike a balance between network loading and/or unit data download capabilities and having access to as much traffic information as possible.

I still find that they haven't mapped out many of the London back streets for HD traffic reporting as yet. For instance I went to Cirque De Soleil at the Albert Hall last Sunday afternoon and when I left around 5.45pm Exhibition Road was completely gummed up heading down to the A4 and so were several of the parallel side streets I tried driving through to but HD Traffic showed no jams at all in any of them.
st1967
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good article this one. I used to have a Honda with built in Sat Nav which had very good built in TMC (Trafficmaster data). However over the last year of the car my maps were so out of date, I went to my TT7 backup on my phone and resubscribed to the old style Tom Tom Traffic.

The first thing I noticed was how much better the data had become in the 3 years since I last used it (I subscribed to their 1st traffic system on my old PDA TT). I assumed that was because it was using the same data as the HD system, but I've since been told they are still completely different systems? Anybody know for sure?

Anyway, I used to drive with my Honda built in on, but zoomed out to the maximum resolution so it still showed traffic incidents, well TT Traffic had them all, with the added bonus of how long you would be in them for, and again this was quite accurate.

The Honda has gone now so I just have the phone, but I trust it. At the end of the day that is all we are really looking for, a device with data you can trust.
MRCC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just switched 540 on at 2pm on Sunday. Only 27 incidents reported, all in the 50 mile radius.

Not knowing the traffic situation on minor roads close to the main roads is a problem - I've had the situation in Manchester where it avoids the A34 queues but the diversion route is just as bad if not worse with the TT thinking there is no delay...
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed it last Monday morning, I had to be in Bolton for 6.30 am and left Hitchin just before 3.15 am. At this time of the morning I wasn't expecting any delay and I think HD traffic only showed a few problems on start up. There were no delays on my route around Birmingham on the M6 as I chose not to use tolls. I was in Bolton for less than haft an hour and then selected Home, HD traffic showed a general delay of about 5 mins. As I got on the M6 the delays started to get larger as again I selected not to use the M6 toll, but not as far down as Birmingham. Now what I wanted to know do I go off the M6 or chance it and if necessary pay the £5 toll. What I wanted was the whole route delays and make my own mind up as what to do.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2216 wrote:
Now what I wanted to know do I go off the M6 or chance it and if necessary pay the £5 toll. What I wanted was the whole route delays and make my own mind up as what to do.

My point was that I used to feel the same way. But on reflection, would you decide at Bolton whether to use M6 toll or the non toll section? My belief is that HD traffic would easily pick up delays which would be shown well in advance of the turn off for M6 toll.

Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
2216 wrote:
Now what I wanted to know do I go off the M6 or chance it and if necessary pay the £5 toll. What I wanted was the whole route delays and make my own mind up as what to do.

My point was that I used to feel the same way. But on reflection, would you decide at Bolton whether to use M6 toll or the non toll section? My belief is that HD traffic would easily pick up delays which would be shown well in advance of the turn off for M6 toll.

But at the time of leaving Bolton if there was a problem over the 50 mile range down the M6 I would have gone along the M62 and down the A1, but I wouldn't have known this till I got down to the Stoke exits M6 J16/J15 and these may have had a problem, so stopping me from going down the A50 to the M1, avoiding the toll.
zip401
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't post here often, so please be kind Smile

A workmate got a new TT about 4 years ago, and it had Bluetooth and came with free traffic for 3 months or so. He tried it for 3 months but gave up on it. Reason? It was looking at incidents 100s of miles away and redirecting him hours before he would have even got there. Eg, he travels from Kendal to London, TT Traffic reports a jam/incident on the M6 around Birmingham, so it tries to send him across the A50 and down the M1. Most times, by the time he would have got to Brum 2 hrs later, the jam/incident would have cleared. Particularly if he plans at 0900 (tail of rush hour) but won't hit Brum till 1100.

Last Oct my trusty 5 yr old TT Go Classic was stolen. I headed off to Dixons and bought a new Go1000, oblivious of the fact it had only just been released. It did not connect at first, but TT support were very helpful, and it was soon connected and getting HD Traffic info.

What a revelation! Incidents are only reported within a reasonable radius that you might actually get caught up in them. And they appear to be accurate.

Two examples (of more if needed):

1) traveling north on M5 to join M6, one usual jam at Brum. The TT reported a 0.8mile queue. I stopped to a standstill exactly where the icon on the route said I would. Spookily impresive.

2) One Sat afternoon before Christmas, was going from my home in Merseyside to Glossop in Derbys. Usual TT route is M62/M60 past Stockport/M67. TT this time told me to go M60 north to Oldham and drop down. Was only a mile longer, and TT was showing a red line at Barton.
As I drove there I heard on the radio that an incident had caused the closure of the M60 by the Trafford Centre. Major clag and delay if I had gone the usual route. So TT got it spot on.

Also when it picks up another delay, it tells me '3 more minutes delay, but you are still on the fastest route'. So it's little computer brain seems to be working out whether ducking around minor roads roads on estates will actually save you much time over simply sitting there on the clogged motorway for 10mins and taking the hit?

So far I'm quite impressed. It feels like an accurate traffic radar in the car.

Hope this post is helpful.
garstie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI I HAVE JUST BEEN LOOKING IN A FREINDS VAN WITH A BUILT IN TOMTOM WITH TRAFFIC HE HAD THE RED DOTS AS FAR AS THE M25 AS MINE HAD BEFORE IT CHANGED ITS THE FACT NO ONE CAN SAY OH YES WE HAVE CHANGED IT BECOUSE OR WE HAD TO DO THIS THE CHANGE OER MAKE BETTER!!!!! I DONT GET AN AWNSER FROM TOMTOM I JUST WOULD LIKE WHAT IHAD BEFORE!!!! Shocked Shocked Exclamation
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garstie wrote:
HI I HAVE JUST BEEN LOOKING IN A FREINDS VAN WITH A BUILT IN TOMTOM WITH TRAFFIC HE HAD THE RED DOTS AS FAR AS THE M25 AS MINE HAD BEFORE IT CHANGED ITS THE FACT NO ONE CAN SAY OH YES WE HAVE CHANGED IT BECOUSE OR WE HAD TO DO THIS THE CHANGE OER MAKE BETTER!!!!! I DONT GET AN AWNSER FROM TOMTOM I JUST WOULD LIKE WHAT IHAD BEFORE!!!! Shocked Shocked Exclamation

Point 1. Please don't post in capital letters - they are very difficult to read. And do try to put an occasional fullstop or comma in there too, so that we can then understand it better.

Point 2. I think you'll find the built in TomToms are not using HD Traffic - mine isn't, it's using RDS-TMC which works differently and takes in all the traffic along the route. But RDS-TMC Traffic is not as accurate as HD Traffic.

garstie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Point. 1 I'm actually dyslexic and struggle to put anything on here and I did not realize you needed a engish degree to post
Point 2 thank you for you answer
Embarassed Crying or Very sad
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was offering advice, not commenting on any lack of an English degree - it doesn't take one to knock the caps lock key on and off. And take your pick, fullstop or comma when you pause to breathe or make a different point.

Your previous posts (and I did look at them all before making my points) gave no hint at all of dyslexia.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: