Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - help with tomtom traffic dots
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

help with tomtom traffic dots
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WackyRaces
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only solution is to take the DennisN road and also run a second Satnav in your vehicle that supports RDS-TMC and look for any significant routing differences on a long distance route.

Halfords has several clearance RDS-TMC models available starting at only £69.99 for the Garmin 1200T or £79.99 for a Navigon model that has also Bluetooth hands free calling.

Or otherwise have a notebook with a data connection with you and check the TomTom Routes site on that before you set off for nationwide traffic incident data.
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Google Maps traffic on my phone as a backup for TT traffic.

Can be installed on many phones.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, here's today's information. Travelling from Berkeley Nuclear power station to Dungeness ditto, 433 miles, 10.5 hours.

I have three devices running together - 550 Live with HD traffic, 520 with RDS-TMC antenna trailing round the windscreen and built in Carminat TomTom, running RDS-TMC through the radio aerial.

550 showed one incident, narrow lanes at M4 J8 roadworks.
520 showed nothing.
Carminat said the route includes a closed road, do you wish to avoid. I said Yes and it rerouted an extra 10 miles (stay on M4 to M25, then anti clockwise)

Radio Five Live said it was an accident at 9:45am, closure of the M3 from J3 to J2 (which stayed closed until maybe 6pm).

After about 40 miles, the 520 picked up the same closure and gave the same diversion.

The 550 Live caught on very soon after that and went for the same diversion.

Then there was an accident on the M4 which the 550 picked up, but the Carminat and 520 didn't. Then they did and all three re-routed down through Bracknell, but straight across M3 J3.

Now, there was a time when I'd agree with the OP - I too desperately wanted to know about the closure of M1 at Newcastle so that I could head north via M6 instead of M42/M1. But I've been thinking about it all day as the above developed. The only circumstance in which I'd want it that far ahead is the example I've given. But today, I didn't need it until I got closer - go via Bracknell/M3 or M25 J15? (Bracknell is 10 miles shorter, so I usually go that route). My possible diversion if I dealt with it at first knowledge could have been down A36 to Southampton, then east along M/A27 - that route being 35 miles further, but mainly an extra 75 minutes (compared with a clear M4/M25/M20 route).

All in all today I was affected by three noticeable motorway accidents - M3 diverted me along M4 where the next one occurred and I reverted to down past Bracknell, then on M25 there was no diversion available, just crawl for a time. Although the RDS-TMC devices had the M3 incident earlier, the 550 got it quite soon enough AND picked up slow traffic resulting from all the diversions from it and picked up the other two well before the others. All in all, today's experience has persuaded me that HD Traffic is pretty reliable and I shall pay it more attention in future.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice comparative report Dennis. Thumbs Up
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the most useful reviews I've ever read.
Kia In-dash Tomtom
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guivre46 wrote:

Agreed - very helpful. I'd like to see more of a similar nature i.e. how product A compares with product B in everyday use rather than looked at in isolation.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spook51 wrote:
Guivre46 wrote:

Agreed - very helpful. I'd like to see more of a similar nature i.e. how product A compares with product B in everyday use rather than looked at in isolation.

And I would LOVE to do more. Tell you what, everybody send me 100 smackeroonies, then if I get enough, I'll go out and buy some things to review. I'm thinking iPad, GO1000, all those funny Garmin jobbies, Ferrari. I could do a really special one on holidays in various Greek resorts. Laughing Laughing

garstie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff guys thanks only thing is I still don't know weather to go m1 or a1 ha ha thanks anyway I will keep my eye out for any more developments !! Still miss my old traffic master
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
spook51 wrote:
Guivre46 wrote:

And I would LOVE to do more. Tell you what, everybody send me 100 smackeroonies, then if I get enough, I'll go out and buy some things to review. I'm thinking iPad, GO1000, all those funny Garmin jobbies, Ferrari. I could do a really special one on holidays in various Greek resorts. Laughing Laughing

I wouldn't want to tear you away from plodding up and down Britian's motorway network Dennis, I know you love it so much...
WackyRaces
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:

I'm not sure you will get terribly far on the free Ferrari or Greek islands holiday front but I think we would all be interested to see you not just put your faith in only various different flavours of TomTom devices but to also see a comparative group test involving the RDS/TMC offerings of Garmin, Navigon, Navman/Mio and also how all of this compares with the same old TMC stuff spooled out by Garmin or anyone else over their NuLink mobile data services instead of via RDS FM transmission (given that TomTom seem to have some patented exclusive on HD Traffic for the foreseeable future).

Just for the hell of it I suppose it would also be interesting to compare the relative HD Traffic abilities of an x40 running v 8.371 verus an x40 running v9.058 and versus an x50 running 9.058 and then against a 1000 series unit running a v10 Navcore.

However I can't see you getting all that lot on to your dashboard every day so the only option would be a sophisticated pattern of unit rotation. Have you not thought of offering your advanced high mileage reviewing services to both the satnav companies themselves and the likes of T3 magazine, www.techradar.com and similar technology oriented magazines and websites?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.

Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What we really want is half a dozen people in similar vehicles, all with different Traffic-equipped sat-navs, all starting at exactly the same time and place and going on the same long journey through rush-hour and roadworks traffic.

Not easy to organise, unless you're Top Gear or similar though.
JaguarV12e
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Go 1000 previously displayed incidents over 100 miles away, but only used incidents up to about 50 miles away in route calculations. It looks like the "unused" incidents are no longer downloaded.

I can think of 2 good reasons for this:

1. It should reduce the time for traffic data to download (by up to 75%?).
2. It reduces the GPRS traffic volumes (maybe TT were exceeding their Vodafone allowance?).
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
What we really want is half a dozen people in similar vehicles, all with different Traffic-equipped sat-navs, all starting at exactly the same time and place and going on the same long journey through rush-hour and roadworks traffic.

Not easy to organise, unless you're Top Gear or similar though.

Or two people in one vehicle with different Traffic-equipped sat-navs etc. One to drive, the other to evaluate and make notes.

Easy to organise - I'll even volunteer to be the driver.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spook51 wrote:

Or two people in one vehicle with different Traffic-equipped sat-navs etc. One to drive, the other to evaluate and make notes.

But if they disagreed, how would you know if the reported incidents on the "other" suggested routes were right?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: