Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GO x50 vs GO 1000
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GO x50 vs GO 1000
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nrestell
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:51 pm    Post subject: GO x50 vs GO 1000 Reply with quote

Hi,

I was looking to update my GO520 to a model capable of Live HD Traffic (the TMC I have only tells me I am in traffic when I have been sat in it for 20 minutes).

I am trying to find the major difference between the new 1000 and VIA models compared with a slightly older x50 model. (I have read all about the POI issue (and the web-based HOME issues)).

Other than looking sleeker and nicer, I cannot really see much benefit for my £100 by going with a 1000 model (the 550 is currently £150 compared to £250 for the 1000).

Can anyone enlighten me as to what the differences between the x50, 1000 and VIA models are? I have searched the web and this forum but cannot see a good feature set.

Many thanks,
Neil
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The screen is brighter, clearer and much more responsive on the Go 1000 and the mount is superb

The HD traffic refreshes more frequently

The unit software more future-proof (being web-based and new release)

The custom-poi issue is being updated as we speak (what the end result will be we have yet to witness), map updates and back-ups will all come soon

Price wise the Go 1000 is £186 UK & Ireland or £215 Europe at Hantec, so not too far away

The Via Lives are only a little cheaper, with a built in mount but standard resistive screen, so I would pay a few pounds more and go with the 1000 series
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You also need to consider some negative aspects of the newer device:

No memory card expansion slot so no way to have European and USA based mapping on the same device.

Considerably more reflective screen (fine if you never wear a white shirt)

Personally I think the x40/ x50 mount is better than the 1000 mount, sure the magnetic latch is inovative but the all important power cable looks like an after thought and is difficult to conceal within the car.

No way to back up the device or access the device from the PC via any method other than the rather useless "MyTomTom" interface. Whilst TomTom have a "plan" or "schedule" to improve the capability of the MyTomTom software it seems to be taking an eternity for what I consider basic and essential functionality.

No bluetooth audio output for the navigation audio.

All the above can be accomplished with ease when using a 950 Live, the 550 Live can accept foreign maps should you ever need them due to the all important memory card slot - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To paraphrase the post two above with a slightly different slant....

The screen is brighter, clearer and much more prone to reflections on the Go 1000 and the mount is pretty good but not as good as the Go950 mount.

The HD traffic DOESN'T refresh more frequently (as far as I can see). It also works over a smaller area then older models when a route is being calculated.

The unit software more future-proof (being web-based and new release) because TT are determined to go with it, but NOTHING with the web-based interface is working properly yet, so you cannot get your maps up to date or even back-up the device.

The custom-poi issue is being updated as we speak (what the end result will be we have yet to witness), map updates and back-ups will all come soon HOPEFULLY

Price wise the Go 1000 is £186 UK & Ireland or £215 Europe at Hantec, so so it's still quite a bit more.

The Via Lives are only a little cheaper, with a built in mount but standard resistive screen, which at least you can still use with a fingertip or with gloves on, so I would try them both out in a shop before you buy.

Smile
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can I ask how long does it take to work out a journey of 200 miles as the x50 can take ages sometimes so long you miss the turn off
is it almost instant or more than say 20 seconds to work out a route

ta
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Go1000 is MUCH quicker to calculate a long route (due to some very clever "pre-calculation" of thousands of possible routes), but very similar to the old models when calculating a short one as that uses the same techniques as before.
nrestell
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information guys. I think I may go with the x50 given all the cons with the 1000 at the moment. I've not really had a problem with the route calculation speed (once the initial journey has been worked out).

I would miss the backup and custom POI features as I use them a lot currently. Again, never really had a problem with the screen so to go to one that is (very) reflective seems a backwards step to me.

I think I'll get the 550 (only really need the UK) for now and wait for TT to sort out the niggles with the newer units! Then I revisit upgrading my unit later in the year and sell my 550 on if its worth the extra money for the 100x.

Thanks for the help!
WackyRaces
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nrestell wrote:
I think I'll get the 550 (only really need the UK) for now and wait for TT to sort out the niggles with the newer units! Then I revisit upgrading my unit later in the year and sell my 550 on if its worth the extra money for the 100x.!

Have you checked out www.satnav-discounts.co.uk/tomtom-go/tomtom-refurbs.htm where an officially TomTom factory refurbed Go 550 including 12 month of Live Services is only £129.99 and a 750 with 12 months of Live services is £149.99. There are also Argos Clearance Bargain prices for a 550, 750 and 950 with only one trial month of Live Services included (£113.98, £139.99 and £155.98) but unless you need the North American maps or EPT for tunnels (which only the 950 offers) then the TomTom refurbed units with 12 months of Live services seem like the better bet.

The 940 is a better unit than any of the x50 series as it also has an FM transmitter but is otherwise an identical spec but probably for that reason second hand 940s are changing hands at £180 on Ebay without any included Live services.

The only thing I would warn you about is when you see how long it can take to calculate or recalculate a route on an x50 series compared to the lightning simplicity of the x20 series you may wonder if you are actually better off.
Antoeknee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought 550 Live from Comet just before Christmas and price at that time was £139. Thought for extra £10 I'd go for a new and not refurbed device.

Unfortunately it's currently £149.
WackyRaces
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antoeknee wrote:
Bought 550 Live from Comet just before Christmas and price at that time was £139. Thought for extra £10 I'd go for a new and not refurbed device..

Did that one come with 12 months of Live services though?

As the refurb is from TomTom the chances are that its less likely to have something wrong with it than a new as it will have been more thoroughly checked.

I'm also amazed at the number of people on here who buy a 550 rather than a 750 in view of the high cost of subsequently buying a European map on its own. Are there really so many people who want to own a satnav and yet don't go abroad and/or never drive when they are on holiday.
WackyRaces
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nrestell wrote:
Thanks for the information guys. I think I may go with the x50 given all the cons with the 1000 at the moment. I've not really had a problem with the route calculation speed (once the initial journey has been worked out).

I suppose it all rather depends how many miles you are really out on the road each year because while HD Traffic may be better than anything else currently available it still isn't that good and seems to have plenty of issues, especially in terms of reliable ongoing connectivity with the x40 and x50 series units. But then as things stand there is no way I would buy a 1000 series unit that treats its users like idiots and stops them adding their own POIs or any third party apps (eg the usesful Height altimeter display written by Joghurt). Although TomTom has promised to add third party POI support we all know to our cost just how unreliable many of TomTom's promises can be.

Perhaps it would be better to keep your current unit in service for another 6 to 12 months and then see how the landscape looks in terms of whether TomTom have actually honoured the promise to add POI support for the 1000 series and/or whether they have released a further Navcore for the x40 and x50 series that addresses a number of the current rather serious bugs in the firmware for those units. I took a long drive with a friend who has a 720 in the summer and was impressed by the fact that it just worked without rebooting or hangs and managed to calculate any route input in to it in just seconds (compared to my higher featured but unreliable and slow to calculate a route 940). Unfortunately the processor in the x40 and x50 series units really isn't up to handling HD Traffic satisfactorily on any longer distance routes and/or especially any routes in to a major city centre such as London. Even the IQ routes calculations put a lot more pressure on the processor and amount of memory in the units and HD Traffic was clearly the final straw.
Antoeknee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WackyRaces wrote:
Antoeknee wrote:
Bought 550 Live from Comet just before Christmas and price at that time was £139. Thought for extra £10 I'd go for a new and not refurbed device..

Did that one come with 12 months of Live services though?

As the refurb is from TomTom the chances are that its less likely to have something wrong with it than a new as it will have been more thoroughly checked.

I'm also amazed at the number of people on here who buy a 550 rather than a 750 in view of the high cost of subsequently buying a European map on its own. Are there really so many people who want to own a satnav and yet don't go abroad and/or never drive when they are on holiday.

Yep 12 months live services included. Did consider 750 but not driven in Europe in a very long time and coudn't see doing so in the near future so the 550 was OK.
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks ...my sub runs out soon and if poi's are working I might upgrade & sell the 750 as I do long journeys sometimes and having to pull over for recalc can drive you nuts
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have compared side by side in a shop the XL Live and the 1000 Live, and the 1000 is definitely much faster in planning routes.

Not so sure if the touch screen is better though, as it does not respond to fingernail touches, so you have to keep your nails short ladies, and gents.

I have reserved a 950 and a 550 at Argos, but I do prefer the Live 1000, so I think I will wait until POI's and backups are fixed unless Argos drops the price of the old stock even further.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

technik wrote:
I have compared side by side in a shop the XL Live and the 1000 Live, and the 1000 is definitely much faster in planning routes.

It's MUCH faster at planning long routes (Lands End to John o'Groats in 16 seconds on a Go 1000, but 1 minute 5 seconds on a Go 940). According to a TomTom press release, this is down to thousands of routes having been pre-calculated on a super-computer somehow. But on short routes there's not so much difference.

technik wrote:
Not so sure if the touch screen is better though, as it does not respond to fingernail touches, so you have to keep your nails short ladies, and gents.

That's down to the differences between the old resistive screen of previous models and the "capacitive" screen of the new ones. That does allow them to provide multi-touch features like pinch-zoom, but as you say, it means you need a good damp finger to make it work.

Try using a Go1000 with gloves on!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: