Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 940 Reboots on anything to do with "City"
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

940 Reboots on anything to do with "City"
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robbooth
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:09 pm    Post subject: 940 Reboots on anything to do with "City" Reply with quote

Hi guys, a couple of weeks ago I had the dreaded sim 1001 error which seemed to be resolved (and is still working OK) by a complete battery discharge. My 940 also now announces out loud when the remote is connected and when the route is cleared (which it never used to - only on screen messages).
It now seems to have a new problem Rolling Eyes that causes it to lockup and reboot everytime I try to select navigate to City Centre or POI in City - it's not a feature that I use very often so I don't know if it's yet another problem or just down to v9.058 - I pretty sure I know the answer as I'm sure someone else would have asked about had it been down to v9.058.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 940 Reboots on anything to do with "City" Reply with quote

robbooth wrote:
My 940 also now announces out loud when the remote is connected and when the route is cleared (which it never used to - only on screen messages).

That bit's easy...
You've got "read aloud warnings" ticked in the second page of 'Voice Preferences'.

robbooth wrote:
It now seems to have a new problem Rolling Eyes that causes it to lockup and reboot everytime I try to select navigate to City Centre or POI in City - it's not a feature that I use very often so I don't know if it's yet another problem or just down to v9.058 - I pretty sure I know the answer as I'm sure someone else would have asked about had it been down to v9.058.

I've not heard of that one before.
All I can say is that my 940 running v9.058 doesn't do it, so it's not an inherent problem with the software.

Have you tried a full reset (15 second press on the power button) and a return to factory settings (from the Preferences menu)?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You haven't by any chance clothed it in a red United shirt? Laughing Laughing

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recall Andy P posting a while back that where a city centre has been pedestrianised, the TT can find no viable route. Though I think he said you got a message to that effect, not a reboot. You could try setting a route to a road in the city - just select address/city/any street.
Kia In-dash Tomtom
robbooth
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: 940 Reboots on anything to do with "City" Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:

That bit's easy...
You've got "read aloud warnings" ticked in the second page of 'Voice Preferences'.

I have indeed....obviously an effect of the full discharge / reset.

Andy_P wrote:

Have you tried a full reset (15 second press on the power button) and a return to factory settings (from the Preferences menu)?

That was my favourite as a cure but hate having to set everything back up so thought I'd ask first Sad. When I get back home on Friday I will give this a go along with a clearflash.
DennisN wrote:

You haven't by any chance clothed it in a red United shirt? Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud

Never, let me say once again NEVER! CTID Laughing
Guivre46 wrote:

I recall Andy P posting a while back that where a city centre has been pedestrianised, the TT can find no viable route. Though I think he said you got a message to that effect, not a reboot. You could try setting a route to a road in the city - just select address/city/any street.

Routing works ok to an address but when using navigate to city centre the unit locks up and reboots before you even get to the point of selecting a city and also navigate to POI in city has a similar effect.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: 940 Reboots on anything to do with "City" Reply with quote

robbooth wrote:
CTID Laughing

Maybe the 940 knows something you don't? Anyway, this sounds like a corrupt Navcore to me.

robbooth
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dennis,

When people refer to the 'Navcore' do they mean the 940 application, the maps or something else altogether?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, sorry, that's down to us having our own language - Navcore is the application - v9.058 in your case. I'm not sure a Factory reset would clear a dodgy app.

matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, my 740 with latest navcore will reboot if I try to enter addresses by city centre. I think I usually give up after the second go, but it may have eventually worked.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you got the MapShare POI update option enabled? if so turn it off and remove the POI updates then see if it is still re-booting as these files have caused issues in the past making the device re-boot but usually it happens on switch on rather than when in use, worth a try though - Mike
entwood
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar problem on the TT700 some while back, anything that required an alphanumeric input crashed and rebooted. It was eventually sorted by changing the keyboard from LARGE to SMALL ... no idea why it worked .. but it did !!!!
robbooth
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,
Where do I find the POI update option? Also, how do I remove previous updates?
Cheers,
Rob.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Home's Tools--Mapshare Corrections--Remove Corrections

You have to have your unit connected for the menu item to be active.
robbooth
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh...it'll have to wait until weekend then.
robbooth
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, did a backup from memory card to PC HD, reformatted memory card, ran scan disk on card, transferred backup from HD to memory card, removed application and allowed home to reinstall (funnily enough the app removed was a few megs less than the one that was down loaded even though it was supposedly the same version), did all the usual updates and everything is working now as it should.
Let's see if it works for the trip from Manchester to Taunton this afternoon Rolling Eyes.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: