Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Enhancement requests
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Enhancement requests
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Android
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
DennisN wrote:
Apart from any programming etc considerations, I wouldn't want us to encouraging users to exceed the National Speed Limit. Rolling Eyes
Nice answer. Better than 'No'. Neither would I Supreme Angel

Actually, 'No' is better - sort of final. And saves getting into all the talk about it wouldn't be useful to European users and they'd want a different thing and the Aussies would absolutely go for us and the Greeks and all the other countries with different speed limits. Doncha think?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No
ItsMikeE
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The option to store data on SD card

Although the app itself has been moved to my SD card the data is on the phone.
For those of us with older phones which are tight on storage space (HTC Desire in my case) the odd 2.5Mb makes quite a difference
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ItsMikeE wrote:
The option to store data on SD card

Although the app itself has been moved to my SD card the data is on the phone.
For those of us with older phones which are tight on storage space (HTC Desire in my case) the odd 2.5Mb makes quite a difference

Lutz said
lbendlin wrote:
Philip wrote:

Equally, many application developers do not make their programs suitable for running from SD card. In some cases (such as CamerAlert), this may be down to technical limitations but in many other cases it is nothing other than lazy programming.

In our case the application CAN be moved to SD card. That frees up a few MB. However the live database needs to stay on the device, and that's what you see under "Data" as eating up around 2 MB.

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
tonywalter
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would it be possible to have a less obvious icon in case a computer literate Gendarme decides to search through your phone for forbidden applications?
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonywalter wrote:
Would it be possible to have a less obvious icon in case a computer literate Gendarme decides to search through your phone for forbidden applications?

Not sure that would work to our favour though - as most of our users aren't in Ireland the majority of people would never be able to find the app to run it in the first place!

Also, can they simply pick up your phone and search through your private files without a warrant?

MaFt
tonywalter
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
tonywalter wrote:

Not sure that would work to our favour though - as most of our users aren't in Ireland the majority of people would never be able to find the app to run it in the first place!

Also, can they simply pick up your phone and search through your private files without a warrant?

MaFt

The French Gendarmes are pretty much a law unto themselves and they have a shiny new law to enforce with a €3,000 penalty.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, I was thinking of the Irish Garda!! Laughing Out Loud. Same rule applies, there's been a lot of talk that they may need a warrant to look through your personal belongings (phone). If using CamerAlert and you get pulled over simply stick the phone in your pocket as you pull in Wink

MaFt
tonywalter
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
Oops, I was thinking of the Irish Garda!! Laughing Out Loud. Same rule applies, there's been a lot of talk that they may need a warrant to look through your personal belongings (phone). If using CamerAlert and you get pulled over simply stick the phone in your pocket as you pull in Wink

MaFt

I'd rather not argue the toss with an irate French Gendarme, in French. An English bobby, no problem, a French "Flic" no way.

I have a fixed dashboard phone mount which may arouse suspicion, so I'd rather quickly uninstall CamerAlert and reinstall later. But, if I could change the icon to something that is not so obvious, that would be preferable.
drummer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few I haven't seen suggested

Option to have current speed spoken aloud during active threat zones at definable intervals instead of generic overspeed warning. Particularly useful to have current average speed read out in specs areas.

For android, change the behavior of back button to close the app, this is the standard way apps normally work in my experience.

Auto close the program after 5 (or user definable) minutes after GPS lock is lost. I've lost count of how many times I've had it running in my pocket draining the battery because I forgot to exit.[/list][/list]
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

current speed spoken: we only have tens and fivers. We would need to add so many more sound files and that would blow up the apk size too much.

back button: this is already the case if you are not tracking. If you are tracking and want to exit, use the menu.

Auto close: that should already work as described. The service will exit 10 minutes after the last GPS lock. Maybe your phone's GPS has the jitters.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
drummer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.

Regarding suto closing, I guess I may have been getting intermittent GPS lock, thus resetting the timer. Perhaps it may be possible in the future to add the option to auto-close using the phones proximity sensor so it goes off when you put it in your pocket.

Regarding toast alerts being fixed to a couple of seconds due to android limitation, what about repeating the alert every couple of seconds to effectively keep it on screen during the threat zone.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Repeating the toast ad nauseam would be inconsiderate to the foreground application that the user has there for a reason - to use it.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
drummer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
Repeating the toast ad nauseam would be inconsiderate to the foreground application that the user has there for a reason - to use it.

It would only be visible during the threat zone and you could make it an option in advance settings. Perhaps a repeat every say 5 seconds would work better.

I would imagine that the only apps that would be running whilst driving would be navigation and audio apps. Neither would be effected by the toasts to any great degree IMO, particularly if there's a few seconds between repeats.

There does appear to be a desire to have a more persistent countdown by users as the current toast disappears long before you get to the threat so it can often be difficult to tell where it is.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drummer wrote:
lbendlin wrote:

It would only be visible during the threat zone and you could make it an option in advance settings. Perhaps a repeat every say 5 seconds would work better.

I have TomTom cameras enabled on one of my PNDs. The average speed warning (which I have set to the approximate sound of breaking wind) goes off every few seconds and is starting to drive me nuts!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Android All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 4 of 11

Jump to: