Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Enhancement requests
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Enhancement requests
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Android
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fredbloggs123
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: SUGGESTED IMPROVEMENT Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
fredbloggs123 wrote:
Also as I use Cameralert behind Co-pilot is it possible to have the warning displayed for longer (ideally user definable) as at the moment it disappears after a very short time.

I'm pretty sure this is a limitation of Android. the 'toasts' (or pop ups as normal people would call them!) can either be 1 second or 2 seconds. Certainly something we may be able to look at. Although toasts, from what I understand, are static as opposed to dynamic so it would not be able to show the distance counting down as you approach the camera.

MaFt

I see the advanced setting to make the 'speed limit popop' 2 seconds but cannot find anything for the camera warning popup/toast. Perhaps we could have a similiar advanced setting for 2 seconds on this as well?
Thanks
mrfrank
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: SUGGESTED IMPROVEMENT Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:

I'm pretty sure this is a limitation of Android. the 'toasts' (or pop ups as normal people would call them!) can either be 1 second or 2 seconds. Certainly something we may be able to look at. Although toasts, from what I understand, are static as opposed to dynamic so it would not be able to show the distance counting down as you approach the camera.

MaFt

Reading through this, I would propose to have all or some of the following "toasts", depending on what is possible without hindering the application performance too much:

1) A toast that warns about the camera for a second time, but this time say just before the camera is reached (e.g., 3 seconds before the camera is reached, maybe user configurable).

2) A toast that gets repeated (like the big one in the middle of the screen when oversppeding in a camera zone) for SPECS, showing the current average speed (at the moment you can only see it if CA is running in the foreground). Can you create a toast that instead periodically appear in the foreground for this? Maybe user configurable? I know that overlay is not supported on Android, but performance permitting, you can repeat toasts periodically to obtain a similar behaviour.

3) An option to show or not show a repeated visual toast for the camera warning. Same as 1) above, but repeated say every 4-5 seconds, instead.

I hope I made my point ;)

Cheers!!
TheQuest
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:03 am    Post subject: Re: SUGGESTED IMPROVEMENT Reply with quote

mrfrank wrote:
MaFt wrote:

MaFt

Reading through this, I would propose to have all or some of the following "toasts", depending on what is possible without hindering the application performance too much:

1) A toast that warns about the camera for a second time, but this time say just before the camera is reached (e.g., 3 seconds before the camera is reached, maybe user configurable).

2) A toast that gets repeated (like the big one in the middle of the screen when oversppeding in a camera zone) for SPECS, showing the current average speed (at the moment you can only see it if CA is running in the foreground). Can you create a toast that instead periodically appear in the foreground for this? Maybe user configurable? I know that overlay is not supported on Android, but performance permitting, you can repeat toasts periodically to obtain a similar behaviour.

3) An option to show or not show a repeated visual toast for the camera warning. Same as 1) above, but repeated say every 4-5 seconds, instead.

Cheers!!

+1

Take Care
TheQuest Cool
fredbloggs123
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: SUGGESTED IMPROVEMENT Reply with quote

mrfrank wrote:
MaFt wrote:

I'm pretty sure this is a limitation of Android. the 'toasts' .......

MaFt

Reading through this, I would propose to have all or some of the following "toasts", depending on what is possible without hindering the application performance too much: .............

Cheers!!

+1 for me as well
mrfrank
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: SUGGESTED IMPROVEMENT Reply with quote

mrfrank wrote:

Cheers!!

Bump bump...
Nobody from PGPSW staff replying on this?

Crying or Very sad
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long answer: The request is duly noted, and added to our list. We are constantly discussing the items on that list and prioritising for the next release.

Short answer: Low priority for now.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
mrfrank
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
Long answer: The request is duly noted, and added to our list. We are constantly discussing the items on that list and prioritising for the next release.

Short answer: Low priority for now.

Okey Dokey Wink Thanks for the update Razz
ghost5
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for mrfrank's number 1 & 2 requests

Would it possible to make CA start when it detects a bluetooth connection and close when it looses the bluetooth connection.

I am currently starting it via Tasker and it works well but it will not close automatically due to the way android manages services

Cheers
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting one. We'll need to find out if that is possible. Do you have examples of other programs doing this?

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
ghost5
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah,

I first started thinking of this from using poweramp as this will start and stop music playing when connected to bluetooth.

So I started searching and found tasker, which as already mentions starts the program without any problems, but won't close it.

I did some searching for a solution and came across another program that is similar to yours which has included this option, but I have not tried it Posts 6 to 9
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I was referring to the Bluetooth connection sensing.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly, many thanks for the latest CamerAlert version which I downloaded recently.

My requests:-

1) Unless I am missing something, the speed in "track logs" is recorded in m/s. Although it is an easy enough coversion for me to do with a calculator, it is a bit of a faff. Any chance of a more meaningful speed output in the next version please, or a choice mph, km/h, m/s, lightyears per millenium, etc.?

2) I am confused between the 3 slider settings for the cones of accuracy:- Direction difference / Warning cone / Warning Sensitivity. The description of their functions are very similar, please could we have a little more description in the User Manual of the subtle differences between these three functions.

Many Thanks, Ali.

PS, can anybody please remind me how to view the Tracking logs which are in .csv format?
PPS, Is it TYRE?
ttfn.

EDIT - What is the criteria for recording a waypoint when logging Tracks? it looks like it's 1 per second and/or a change if direction of 2°. This could add up to an awfully large, albeit accurate, file at the end of a journey.

EDIT #2 - Ok I've answered my own question. TYRE does not open .csv files, PoiEdit should but didn't but MS Autorute did work. As a non-windows user may I make a further request please?

3) IIRC Tripmaster used to offer the following options for logging tracks:- csv, gpx, itn, kml, poi & nmea. Using .gpx allowed me to contribute to OSM. .kml was good for GoogleMaps. Would it be it be possible to offer a similar choice in CamerAlert please?
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@AliOnHols. I'll try to answer as much as I can and then I let the others chime in

1) The raw GPS data stream (NMEA) is using m/s data. In the interest of speed and minimum impact on the actual warning functionality we simply take that raw data and dump it into the database.

Waypoints are recorded whenever the iOS GPS chip comes back with a valid location fix which is different from the one before. Technically that should be once a second but we have observed a bit of a wobble around that interval, mostly on the low (fast) side, even down (up) to 1.5 Hz. We do not have any "change of direction" logic.

So yes, it basically records every second, but that is not as scary as it sounds. even if you have an epic 8 hr trip you still end up with only about 29K records. That's peanuts for databases.

Of course you can play it safe and either disable recording, or clean out the track log once you have experted it, or don't need it any longer.

When you use the "Send track log" function we actually include a suggestion for a program to pipe the data into, namely GPSVisualizer.com - they support oodles of formats and conversions including the ones you mention. Hence we don't see the need to include this format choice in our app.

2. Are you sure you want to know? Really sure? Well, since you're still reading, here goes.

Direction difference: If I am driving east and a camera in front of me is pointing north then most likely that camera is on a cross street and I should not be worried about it. That is, of course, unless the camera is behind the (sharpish) bend that I see ahead. You can decide how much you are worried about cameras pointing in different directions.

Warning cone: This is actually calculated before the direction difference. Basically just looking straight ahead plus minus an angle that you are still willing to include. Pretty much works like all the other programs out there. Some of them even paint a nice little cone on their nice little screens. We don't.

Warning sensitivity: Well, this is basically the result of the above previous calculations compared against a threshold. It tells you how likely it is that a particular camera will become a "live" threat to you in the next few seconds. You can tune that down to only be warned about the cameras that are dead ahead and that point in the same direction as your travel, or you can be the nervous guy who wants to be warned about any threat, no matter how unlikely it may be.

Having said all that most people leave these settings alone, and they seem to be happy with that. If you play with the settings but end up with something unacceptable then just put the sliders back into their center positions, and put a curse on us for wasting your time.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lutz, many thanks fur your replies.

1) I shall use GPSVisualizer.com as you suggest. Sorry, I had missed the prompt when exporting from CamerAlert.

2) Wow! I'm going to need to read that several times before it sinks in. Or I may just leave them at the defaults Shocked

Regards, Ali.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
alab
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:58 pm    Post subject: Would it be possible to have intelligent "All Clear&quo Reply with quote

At the moment the "All Clear" message comes at a standard delay after passing cameras.

It would be nice to have the message straight after a Truvelo, but delayed (as it is at present) after a Gatso.

After years of downloading the cameras and then having to copy them to my PDA, it is very nice to have the automated check and download in the smartphone when CanerAlert is opened. Excellent!

(must update my signature block)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Android All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 2 of 11

Jump to: