Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Enhancement requests
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Enhancement requests
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Android
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Allenmere
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:46 pm    Post subject: Enhancement requests Reply with quote

May I suggest that when you are running CamerAlert in text mode where Cameras are listed, and no cameras are present in your area and the text "No Cameras are present in your area", that actual speed is shown similar to the alert for overspeed.

Also in spite of the fact that I may have specified a "cone" of 45 degrees for scanning cameras that are coming up, when in list or text mode, even cameras that have been passed, are still shown. May I suggest that these be excluded, or at least listed after upcoming cameras, or even better allow an option to select whether you want ALL cameras listed or just those coming up.

This is an excellent APP but the above issues can be annoying for someone like me who does an average of 1500 to 2500 miles per WEEK

Cheers Guys. Very Happy
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, are you on Android or iPhone?

My iPhone gives this result for speed, top left.

And what's the problem with distant cameras listed? This is how I have mine running all day long, driving similar mileage to yourself (first pic is with map Show "Never", second is Show "Near cam". The cameras don't warn, so I don't care what they show - the important thing to me is the speed display which is easier to see than any other indication I have.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Allenmere
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am on Android.

My problem is not with distant cameras, but the ones that are BEHIND me still being listed, in spite of having set my "CONE" to scan in front from roughly 22 degrees to my left, to 22 degrees to my right. When I look at the list, and there are many cameras of various distances from me, I don't have time to scan the list to see which apply and I then also have to consider cameras which are in the list but I have already passed them. It takes my attention away from the road for far too long!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I'm on iPhone which gives me audible warning of cameras on my route, so I don't need to look at the list on my display to see if anything is about to treat me badly.

Doesn't android version offer audible warnings? I've just had a quick glance at the User Manual], but manuals aren't my thing so I can't sit reading it without an android by my side and it's different enough from iPhone to give me the shudders!!!

There is a forum just for Android versions, so I'll move this into there now, so that other people can see and discuss with you.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Android version of CamerAlert uses the same warning methods. Cameras that are a threat will be shown with a red background, and you get the audio warning.

The list also works when you have no GPS fix (and no speed for that matter), and no concept of "behind me". We _could_ use the compass mode to exclude cameras that are "behind me" but for that we have the yellow bearing arrow.

In the grand scheme of things the audio warnings are much more important than the list display anyway.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Allenmere
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, we are missing the point. I was making a suggestion. After all, if we have the option to define what Cameralert sees in front of us, why do we still have to see those cameras, which were in front of us, and are now behind us in the List view? I don't intend to harp on about the subject, whether there are audible warnings.... etc (which there are, but that was not the query that was raised. I understand that someone might be trying to nurture their baby, but a simple NO - It CAN'T/WON'T be done would have sufficed with regard to the user being able to select whether passed cameras appear in the list. Thanks for your time.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not exactly sure how to interpret your reply. I thought we have a discussion here about the merits and limitations - of your proposal as well as the application.

Don't give up that quickly.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at DennisN's screenshots, I'm not sure that I would be terribly interested in cameras that were 461.7 miles BEHINND me either. Or indeed, any that are behind me. I've passed it, it is no longer a 'threat', gone, not interested. Which I think is the point that Alenmere was making.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Looking at DennisN's screenshots, I'm not sure that I would be terribly interested in cameras that were 461.7 miles BEHINND me either. Or indeed, any that are behind me. I've passed it, it is no longer a 'threat', gone, not interested. Which I think is the point that Alenmere was making.

the 467miles is a result of couch-mode. initial location was inaccurate and then when it got a fix it jumped to actual location. on the iphone it keeps the cameras in the 'local' table for 2 minutes so after a short time the 467mile one would vanish anyway. however, android uses a different method and the 2 minute rule doesn't apply.

you would see cameras that are behind you in the list but not 'old' cameras.

thing is, where do you draw the line. if a camera is at 150 degrees to you then it is sort of behind you BUT after a sharp bend it's then right in front of you...

however, i do think it would be useful to grey out cameras that are 'behind' you so long as they are still visible should you turn a sharp corner.

MaFt

MaFt
tonywheeler
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allenmere wrote:
Guys, we are missing the point. I was making a suggestion. After all, if we have the option to define what Cameralert sees in front of us, why do we still have to see those cameras, which were in front of us, and are now behind us in the List view? ...... appear in the list. Thanks for your time.

I'd like to add my support to this request - clearly expressed to me. I too see no point in showing the cameras that I have passed when I have defined the angle of coverage so that only cameras affecting me (based upon settings, location AND my direction of travel) are indicated. I had wondered why such cameras were shown too.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
the 467miles is a result of couch-mode. initial location was inaccurate and then when it got a fix it jumped to actual location. on the iphone it keeps the cameras in the 'local' table for 2 minutes so after a short time the 467mile one would vanish anyway.
Ah, I see, but I didn't put Dennis as a couch potato Very Happy
MaFt wrote:
thing is, where do you draw the line. if a camera is at 150 degrees to you then it is sort of behind you BUT after a sharp bend it's then right in front of you....

See what you mean, but I suppose that the 'list mode' would probably not normally be used in the 'normal' mode of operation.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
See what you mean, but I suppose that the 'list mode' would probably not normally be used in the 'normal' mode of operation.

I do as it's easier to read than a map with half the tiles missing, however the voice alerts where all i really used over 700 miles last weekend...
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As MaFt was explaining already, on the iPhone/iPad the cameras are sorted by the parameters that you specify in the settings (the cone etc). On Android we haven't managed yet to get that piece to work at an acceptable performance, so the cameras are currently simply listed by immediate threat level and then by distance.

Which means the sorting change would not be trivial. The coloring change (making the non-threatening cameras darker/greyer etc) would be quite a bit simpler. We'll discuss with the team and the beta testers how to proceed and let all y'all know the outcome.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
fredbloggs123
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:20 am    Post subject: SUGGESTED IMPROVEMENT Reply with quote

Perhaps and option would be to not show cameras in the list that are say more than 1mile away in any direction?
Also as I use Cameralert behind Co-pilot is it possible to have the warning displayed for longer (ideally user definable) as at the moment it disappears after a very short time.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: SUGGESTED IMPROVEMENT Reply with quote

fredbloggs123 wrote:
Perhaps and option would be to not show cameras in the list that are say more than 1mile away in any direction?

makes sense to me as a workaround until lutz can match the iOS listing method.

fredbloggs123 wrote:
Also as I use Cameralert behind Co-pilot is it possible to have the warning displayed for longer (ideally user definable) as at the moment it disappears after a very short time.

I'm pretty sure this is a limitation of Android. the 'toasts' (or pop ups as normal people would call them!) can either be 1 second or 2 seconds. Certainly something we may be able to look at. Although toasts, from what I understand, are static as opposed to dynamic so it would not be able to show the distance counting down as you approach the camera.

MaFt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Android All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 1 of 11

Jump to: