Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Problems with latest map update - Northern Europe - help pl.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Problems with latest map update - Northern Europe - help pl.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
juliaosborne
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so I think I'm a bit further forwards.

To begin with I took copies of every thing that was on the new TT device and chucked it into a folder on a computer. I also did the same with the existing contents of the SD card from the old machine, just in case I lost anything useful.

Then I deleted the contents of the SD card (because it didn't work if I just overwrote any files that were reoeated and left others). I then copied the contents of the new TT folder to the SD card, and put the SD card into TT. This time when I switched it on it didn't holler about the wrong map.

I then finally let it run TT Home (which had been a right PITA until that point insisting on firing up with every single sight of either the TT or the SD card which it thinks is a TT and needed several task manager shut downs so it didn't update anything until I was ready). TT Home then offered me the necessary map updates that I had previously bought for the old device - the rights to which it was happy to transfer to the new one - it does some clever things once you get it all talking to each other. It then stored WHOLE western Europe 1GB onto the SD whilst in the TT Very Happy

Now where do I stand with mapsettings.cfg please? I am assuming that this was also tied to the old device, as despite copying into the correct folder the new system isn't seeing it.

Is there a way round this or do I count mapsettings.cfg as collaterol damage and generate things from scratch. Which will include my POI's and PGPSW camera files and voices (mucho work there). Cheers

Jujlis
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

juliaosborne wrote:
Jujlis
New nickname Julia? Or are you just a typo? Twisted Evil
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

juliaosborne wrote:

Now where do I stand with mapsettings.cfg please? I am assuming that this was also tied to the old device, as despite copying into the correct folder the new system isn't seeing it.

Copied from an old post:

Copy the old MapSettings.cfg from your old map's folder and paste it into the new one.
Fire up the Go and see if it all works, check your favourites, check your POI warnings, etc. If it works, you've been lucky.

If it doesn't, the TomTom might just ignore it, or it may even go into a constant re-booting loop!

However, there is a trick you can try which MIGHT rescue the situation.

1. Connect the unit to your PC and run TomTom "Home".
2. Go to the page 3 of the menu and select "Operate my Go".
3. Then, using the on-screen emulator, create a new Favourite using any of the normal methods.
4. After you've done that, disconnect safely using the icon in the bottom right corner of Home's window before unplugging the device.

Usually that re-writes the MapSettings.cfg file to sort out any incompatibilities in the file. If not, you've only wasted a few minutes.
juliaosborne
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy_P

I could see that working, so have followed those instructions to the letter. Unfortunately the One XL doesn't want to know. Luckily I don't get locked in a re-boot cycle, but it didn't work either.

I can see the copied file in the folder and you can add a new favourite, I also tried with adding a new POI, but when TT writes the file it must completely overwrite what is there as the file name stays the same, but the file size changes and my old POI's and setting don't show Crying or Very sad Nice idea though.
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW Julia, when installing a new map on my 720 causes it to lose the settings, I tend to set everything up again rather than copy the old MapSettings.cfg file.

I would certainly do that with a new device, rather than copying a file from an old one. It doesn't take that long, especially compared to the time it takes to copy the file across and then sort out any problems it causes! Smile
Samsung Galaxy S21
juliaosborne
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Anita

You could well be right, I guess there is something in a 'clean sweep' as it were esp. with a 'virgin' device. I guess it will take 'a while' to sort out all my prefences again, but it is probably the best way to go as you suggest. I guess had I not gone for the repair the problem would not have presented, but I have now got a new shiny unit.

However, no matter the inconvenience I still think it says a lot about TT customer support that they replaced an old and genuinely confessed to self-clobbered machine out of warrantly with a new unit FOC. It makes me quite inclined to stick with TT, esp having seen a Garmin unit the other day in someone else's car - no where near the build quality or display clarity of the TT from what I saw. I just hope this new one will still hold the PGPSW camera data when I get round to installing it! Laughing

Cheers

Julia
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

juliaosborne wrote:
However, no matter the inconvenience I still think it says a lot about TT customer support that they replaced an old and genuinely confessed to self-clobbered machine out of warrantly with a new unit FOC.

Yes, credit where it's due!

In my experience TT customer support seems to have improved a lot recently. Installing the new v880 map caused my 720 to freeze, and the only way to get it going again was installing my last back up with the 875 map. I phoned TT, and they called me back and remotely formatted the device and reinstalled the software and map. After 45 minutes on the phone I had a working device with the latest map. I had, of course, lost all my settings, but I wasn't even tempted to try copying the old MapSettings.cfg file. It took a while to set everything up again, and I'm still finding things I'd forgotten needed changing, but it was worth every minute!

Quote:
It makes me quite inclined to stick with TT, esp having seen a Garmin unit the other day in someone else's car - no where near the build quality or display clarity of the TT from what I saw.

I don't like the Garmin display, and would prefer to stick with TT, but I don't want one of the newer devices where you can't access the file structure. I just hope my four-year-old 720 keeps going so I don't have to make the choice!

Quote:
I just hope this new one will still hold the PGPSW camera data when I get round to installing it! Laughing

It should be OK as the files are very small. If necessary a bigger SD card wouldn't cost too much, and you have got a nice new device for nothing! Very Happy
Samsung Galaxy S21
juliaosborne
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just what I hope will be a final update. In the finish I accepted the mapsettings.cfg file as collateral damage and went from scratch. I've got my PGPSW camera and speach files up and running (including the repetitive matching of the sound with the camera types - have now saved the new mapsettings.cfg file though!). I've also started to re-input some of may saved locations. I will use it for the first time next week, so lets hope everything goes OK.

I've also treated myself to a Brodit mount in the car for it. My BF installed the fitting plate about 10 mths back for his one, but I must admit to liking it in the corner of the windscreen - I think it's easier to flick the eye quickly from the road to the screen and back again than to completely take the eyes of the road if you need the satnav, but maybe I will try it. I've got the mount mainly for driving through France next spring where I get the impression window mounted devices are becoming more frowned upon and I can't see the point of attracking the attention of the gendamerie if I don't have too. I'll try the mount in the car next week - it mounts to the left of the steering wheel in my car, but I've got my doubts that I will like it better than in the very corner of the windscreen on its super sonic sucker device. Oh, well it will give me something else to report back on!
juliaosborne
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you credit it, I thought all Brodit clips were pro-clips so ordered the pro-clip bit for the device, turns out when I go to fit it that it looks like it is a Brodit Move Clip, which obviously isn't compatible Rolling Eyes £20 'down the pan'!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you buy it from DSL Developments Julia?

They are usually very good with "returns".
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Move Clip is a two part clip that goes between the vehicle ProClip and the "Device" clip. Is half of this attached to the car part so that your BF could remove his? If so, he may still have a spare "other half". They are usually stuck together with adhesive foam pads.

Personally, I use the MoveClip so that you can swap devices or cars as you want. Sure they are more expensive than other options but I've never had a problem with them. I wouldn't say it was money down the pan.
Brodit ProClip mount
juliaosborne
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, these responses concur with what I've been finding out which is very reassuring.

I got the mount through MorpethMobiles and a nice lady there called Helen has been very sympathic and has been helping me out. They have no trouble taking the 'return' if it seems I can't use it, but she asked me to send some photos and having spoken to Brodit UK for me has been able to confirm that it is a 'Move' fixture on top of a standard Brodit mount. She is going to find out what I need to make it compatible with the One XL mount (which I might yet be able to use), and is getting back to me tomorrow - we ran out of time today. Apparently I could have removed the 'Move' bit and used the underlying proclip fixture with what I have been sent at the moment, but if BF still wants to use his device I think it would be useful to keep this Move thing esp. if MorpethMobiles can help out with the required part - I imagine BF has the spare compatible part on his own device. So fingers crossed that Morpethmobiles can sort out the right part for me tomorrow.

I think it was one of those classic, I don't know about these things, so assume what I have is standard. Lesson learned = never assume anything Rolling Eyes
juliaosborne
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have now discovered that there are even two types of 'Move' fitments a larger one and a mini one - yes, you guessed it, I've been supplied with a mini one, when what it looks like I needed was a larger one Rolling Eyes That was despite sending the measurements through - still I guess I'll get it sorted, good job I don't need it urgently - however, I will soon be an expert on Brodit mounting systems! Laughing

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: