Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Problems with latest map update - Northern Europe - help pl.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Problems with latest map update - Northern Europe - help pl.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
juliaosborne
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have tried standard formatting - still no use. Does this sound correct - solution 4 http://www.fixya.com/support/t541438-tom_tom_one_xl_wont_accept_sd_card_map
juliaosborne
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope that link doesn't work, I get as far as going to click the backup/restore and with the SD card already in the TT it says this function is not supported by your device!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hang on. I'm not very on the ball today, but are we sure an XL can use BOTH the sd card and the internal memory at once?
I know a Go x40 for example can, but I can't remember if you can put JUST the map folder onto a card in an XL.
juliaosborne
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P - that's what I tried doing - just adding the map directory, but it's almost as though it is rejecting the card rather than what's necessarily on it. I've tried several different combinations of format of the card and addition of the map directory to it. I think I may of even tried it empty and it rejected it. I'm open to suggestions?
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be missing something, but could this be the original One XL with sd card only memory? If so everything needs to be on the card, and this device cannot handle an sd card with more than 2GB capacity?
Kia In-dash Tomtom
juliaosborne
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guivre46 - the SD card I'm trying is a 2GB one. I'm guessing it's not SD only memory as it has functioned since I've owned it without an SD card and I've always been able to write files to it like the PGPSW database as though it is another hard drive on the computer once connected via USB.
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Hang on. I'm not very on the ball today, but are we sure an XL can use BOTH the sd card and the internal memory at once?
I know a Go x40 for example can, but I can't remember if you can put JUST the map folder onto a card in an XL.

I have the same vague recollection, I think it might be either sd or internal, but not both.

So its a later XL than my original........ I'm understanding that juliaosborne is trying to do the restore from Home, not a direct back-up copy on her computer?. The Home restore has not worked for sometime now. It sounds as though the best course would be to take a computer copy of the map, then wipe the memory and force Home to redownload the software? Juliaosborne don't do this yet in case I've misread the situation...
Kia In-dash Tomtom
juliaosborne
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guivre46 - I've tried it several ways:

I've tried using TT Home to restore the file to the TT unit with SD card inside - with that set up the option is greyed out and it says that the restore function won't function with the device. Though it will restore fine if I don't put the card in.

I've also tried a straight copy and paste of the Europe 1GB directory onto the SD card from the TT - treating the unit and the card as though they were just USB flash drives as an analogy.

I've tried the above combinations with a standard format of the card using windows both with default format and with 32 bit format specified (which took longer)

I've also tried just putting in the card formatted with no data on it.

So far the moment I add the card I get the 'take the card out diagram' regardless, it seems, of what is on it.

The only time it didn't tell me to take the card out was when I added the card, turned on TT Home, added the TT unit with card in by USB and turned it on - no message, but no option going to backup/restore - see above.

It's almost as though it doesn't like the card per se - does TT have its own set of formatting commands for the SD card maybe - can I format it through the TT unit or through TT Home - or is this a 'red herring'.

N.B. Def. IT literate at this end and willing to have a bash at most things to sort this.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So f I'm right, so far all you've tried doing is to put the map folder only onto the SD card.
I thnk that if you moved everything onto the card it would work fine, but you're back to the problem of needing a bigger than 2GB card that is standard SD, not SDHC.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An XL CANNOT use both storage areas at the same time, you have to use either the SD card with everything on it or the internal memory.

Putting just the map on the memory card and leaving everything else on the device won't work.

You could look into getting a 4GB capacity card from TopRam or Trancend as these are true SD cards rather than SDHC which won't work unless you hack the boot loader to release the full capability that SDHC offers - Mike
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a 4GB SD card on Amazon. The make is "Platinum", but most reviews from people using them in their older sat navs are positive, although one says the card failed and had to be reformatted.

Otherwise, you might find it easier to source a micro SD card with an adapter.
Samsung Galaxy S21
juliaosborne
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Anita

I'll have a look at the Amazon link. From what I've seen though, if I got a micro SD card that was larger than 2GB it seems likely that it would be a micro SDHC doesn't it? (I'm sure this is what those I've seen have written on them) Surley the TT would then know it was a SDHC format through an adapter. If this is thought to not be a problem then clearly it is worth a bash - any thoughts on this are of course more than welcome.

In any event it would appear that there is a concensus that my poor little old style TT can't do both it's internal memory and the SD card at the same time so if I want to get round this I need an SD card large enough to shift the whole kit and caboodle onto. Just off to check out Amazon!

Back! OK, done the deed, Amazon says should be here on Monday (the trouble is I am away until Tuesday night so I won't be able to tinker), I guess I had better glue my TT back together for next Monday's trip until then!

That Amazon link was a good spot - I had a really good rummage before I ordered the Tanscend card looking for a 4GB solution and hadn't spotted it - thanks Anita. The Transcend card won't go to waste it fits my digital camera and a spare 2GB is no ill store.
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you're right, Julia. I'd just seen a lot of cards listed as micro SD, with SD on the adapters, but if you can find a clear enough image of the actual card it says micro SDHC. Sorry to have misled you. Sad

I've found recently that Amazon orders arrive far more quickly than their estimate suggests, so you might have it in time for y our trip. I ordered a Kindle at 2.50pm on 24 Feb with an estimated delivery of 2-4 March and it arrived the next morning!
Samsung Galaxy S21
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think ALL micro SD cards are HD.

Hopefully a good find though, for that card on Amazon - as although we still mention "Topram" and "Transcend" as possible brands, I haven't actually found one for sale for a long time.
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
I think ALL micro SD cards are HD.

Hopefully a good find though, for that card on Amazon - as although we still mention "Topram" and "Transcend" as possible brands, I haven't actually found one for sale for a long time.

I bought a couple of Topram SD cards two or three years ago on eBay, delivered from the US, but the two sellers I could find on there with them currently don't post overseas.

It will be interesting to hear how Julia's unheard of "Platimum" card performs.
Samsung Galaxy S21

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: