Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - CamerAlert Comes To Android
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

CamerAlert Comes To Android
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Android
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheQuest
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Darren

Quote:
pass it on Green at 40mph and you'll get a ticket.

Shocked Why? 40mph would not be breaking the speed restriction. Laughing

Just joking.

With regards
Take Care
TheQuest Cool

PS: Had to remove tag from your quote because:- The html tags you attempted to use are not allowed Confused
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: Used CamerAlert for first time and .. Reply with quote

kevinx wrote:

I thought it may have in fact been a "feature" of the graphic (slightly dreamy appearence)

Yes, this was done by our psychedelics department. Despair not, even in the new version you'll still see a slight hue of dreaminess, particularly on high resolution screens. Providing higher resolution graphics would inflate the application size too much.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
AntonM
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:59 am    Post subject: Re: Bug? Reply with quote

AntonM wrote:
MaFt wrote:

Can you email the logs to lutz AT pocketgpsworld.com

They can be found at:

sdcard\Android\data\com.pocketgpsworld\cameralert\files

MaFt

My SD card does not seem to have a folder called com.pocketgpsworld in \Android\data\

Not wishing to spam or nag -- just didn't want this to get lost in all the other issues being raised here! Smile
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enable the diagnostics option in the settings, and then watch the MB value while you zoom in.

Generally we are not too concerned about this issue as you're clearly doing couch testing, and the issue is a lot less likely in real road use.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
AntonM
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
Enable the diagnostics option in the settings, and then watch the MB value while you zoom in.

Generally we are not too concerned about this issue as you're clearly doing couch testing, and the issue is a lot less likely in real road use.

I don't expect major problems either.

What bothered me more is that I should have "..\Android\data\com.pocketgpsworld\cameralert\files", but don't even have the "com.pocketgpsworld" folder on the "..\Android\data\" path.

I have enabled diagnostics, and watched the Mb change -- not sure what that should mean in relation to all this, though?
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For whatever reason zooming in on the map consumes a lot of MB (megabytes) of working memory. It will later be recovered by the garbage collector, but that is a rather lame thing and you can easily overpower it by hacking away at the zoom buttons.

No folder means that the application crashes in a way that doesn't even give it time to write a crash log. A bit like in "Mostly harmless".

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevinx wrote:
Thoughts... "We" are seen as a "dot" on the mapping.
Can that not be changed to an "Arrow" in the direction of travel (cosmetic I know, but would save any confusion!).
Also, is it not possible to incorporate a timed (or manual) "dusk til dawn" functionality, to dim the display during general hours of darkness (+/-), similar to that of Google Maps inbuilt timing.

Neither are options available to us via the Google Maps API.

You mention 'similar to' but Google Maps has no night mode, only Google Nav which is an entirely separate application using vector maps rather than the bitmaps that are used in Google Maps.
Juniper
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressed with this app, having just driven from Bristol to Swansea. Particularly like the running average speed shown next to the instantaneous speed when travelling in an average speed zone.
I was puzzled by a stretch of indicated 30mph just before the A470 junction, when there were no speed limits in reality (other than national speed limit, obviously). I suppose it might have related to a neighbouring road, but it seemed to be telling me about it for about a minute.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juniper wrote:
I was puzzled by a stretch of indicated 30mph just before the A470 junction, when there were no speed limits in reality (other than national speed limit, obviously). I suppose it might have related to a neighbouring road, but it seemed to be telling me about it for about a minute.

I expect this would be Truvelo:2126@30. This is something CamerAlert cannot avoid. It depends on your setting for the warnings, both the time of advance warning (I use 30 seconds, so the warning will last 30 seconds PLUS the post camera clearance time) and the arc you choose for the warnings to detect. Gatso:16029@30 at Reading always warns me on the eastbound M4. In my many miles, I find this a very insignificant factor, as I'm usually well aware that I'm on a motorway at national speed limit, so 30mph cameras are not relevant.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Juniper
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Juniper wrote:

I expect this would be Truvelo:2126@30. This is something CamerAlert cannot avoid. It depends on your setting for the warnings, both the time of advance warning (I use 30 seconds, so the warning will last 30 seconds PLUS the post camera clearance time) and the arc you choose for the warnings to detect. Gatso:16029@30 at Reading always warns me on the eastbound M4. In my many miles, I find this a very insignificant factor, as I'm usually well aware that I'm on a motorway at national speed limit, so 30mph cameras are not relevant.

OK, thanks. Maybe I need to fiddle with settings. I am used to the neighbouring road alerts on my TomTom (with PGPSW alerts), and I do filter them out, but it seemed to be more insistent with CamerAlert, as if it was a hangover from earlier roadworks on the motorway.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juniper wrote:
it seemed to be more insistent with CamerAlert, as if it was a hangover from earlier roadworks on the motorway.

I was that way myself last Monday and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. From recollection they never had a 30mph limit on the motorway there.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's a toss up between false warnings missed cameras.

you CAN adjust the angles in settings / advanced settings. for example you can reduce the angles so you only get cameras more directly in your 'line of sight' and not 'around the corner'. this would help in this instance as cameras to the side would have a higher chance of being ignored.

the downside of this when you are on smaller roads (not motorway) is that if you go around a slight bend and there's a camera then you may not have been alerted in time...

so, either you accept there will be some false positives or you reduce those with a risk of missing some proper alerts.

there's a better description in the FAQ's for the app here: http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/cameralert-android.php#faq

MaFt
dazzabird
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
dazzabird wrote:
ok fairly new to this BUT...

Downloaded s/w to my Sony X10 and drove to work this morning..all ok..

Paid £19.99 about an hour ago for subscription...

How long after paying can i download full database ?

darren

Access is immediate upon payment, you should see status 'subscribed' in the Manage Cameras page of the app.

Our records show a handset associated with your account and a valid subscription. There is also a download at 19:23hrs so that suggests all is working?

Yeah seems to have downloaded now....Will have a drive later today and see what happens.

The london A13 is getting some new average speed cameras so that was my main reason..

many thanks
darren
kevinx
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Used CamerAlert for first time and .. Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
kevinx wrote:

I thought it may have in fact been a "feature" of the graphic (slightly dreamy appearence)

Yes, this was done by our psychedelics department. Despair not, even in the new version you'll still see a slight hue of dreaminess, particularly on high resolution screens. Providing higher resolution graphics would inflate the application size too much.

"Wooooowwwwww. Cool man, I really dig it..." ;-)

Cheers buddy :-)
Mv710.1561(W Europe)+Traffic, N82 connection to GPRS traffic
+
kevinx
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
kevinx wrote:
Thoughts... "We" are seen as a "dot" on the mapping.
Can that not be changed to an "Arrow" in the direction of travel (cosmetic I know, but would save any confusion!).
Also, is it not possible to incorporate a timed (or manual) "dusk til dawn" functionality, to dim the display during general hours of darkness (+/-), similar to that of Google Maps inbuilt timing.

Neither are options available to us via the Google Maps API.

You mention 'similar to' but Google Maps has no night mode, only Google Nav which is an entirely separate application using vector maps rather than the bitmaps that are used in Google Maps.

Cheers Darren,

I consider myself to have had a severe wrist slap :-( (not fully understanding the API's etc..)

True enough it is the NAVIGATION of Google maps which incorporates "dusk til dawn" (just checked again), but I DID notice that the "marker" IS in fact a blue ARROW (within Google Maps, and navigation) as opposed to a blue dot...

(unless I am looking at the wong map data? - v5 #5014)

Cheers
Mv710.1561(W Europe)+Traffic, N82 connection to GPRS traffic
+

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Android All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 9 of 13

Jump to: