Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - tomtom go 1005
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

tomtom go 1005

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rsinbad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:51 pm    Post subject: tomtom go 1005 Reply with quote

I have had a TT510 for several years and has been no problem. I have decided to upgrade to the TT go 1005, however i am quite concerned after reading some reveiws (on amerzon) ,that the product has been sent out with incomplete software. I know there is an update for the poi's but think there are several other issues too.

Your thoughts please and whether or no to buy this product.
madgee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recently I bought a Via 120 which, like the 1005, has Navcore 10 (but not the nice screen or mount!).

Yes, there is loads you can't do with MyTomTom software yet, not even get your free map update. However, Navcore 10 is quite a step up, with much faster start-up and routing, plus slicker graphics and simplified menus.

Once MyTomTom is fully functioning it will be more intuitive than Home, and I especially like how it checks updates daily and alerts you from the system tray ofr new updates, even if your unit isn't connected.

I suggest buying 1005 if you can live without many of the Home functions for now.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a good question. There are many good things about the new units ..... and some less good.

Much of the functionality to be offered by MyTomTom (the HOME replacement) has yet to be made available.

If you're happy with what the unit offers as is, the go for it. But if you're buying, based on promised support, then I'd advise you wait until it materialises.

The biggest omissions currently are no custom POI support at all, no backup and no map updates.

TomTom have promised that all will be coming to the new platform, some of those are due at the end of January and others by end of Q1. We'll see shortly if they will be keeping to this timescale.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest you read the GO 1000 Review and all the many other threads about that device - I understand there is a lot of similarity between the two and this should let you see many opinions. There are quite a lot of negative comments - compare what people are saying is not operative with what you get in your Go 510 and see if the missing stuff is important to you. If your 510 is still performing reasonably well, you might be best advised to hold back from upgrading until you get a better picture of the functions available.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
LesP2008
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree wholeheartedly with Darren here.
I too plumped for the 1005 a superb unit which would be even better when the promised updates are made available.
Give me PGPSW cameras any day !!
The one major flaw at the moment apart from the inabilty to use third party apps is the PC software, at present it is a few snags short of a barbie but when and if TomTom get it sorted it certainly has potential.
Time will tell, as Darren says if you can live without these bits then go for it, the unit itself is spot on.
rsinbad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your response guy's I've had a look at the other threads on this subject.

After reading the pro and cons of this model I have decided not to buy this TT, it may have its good points ;but as far as i am concerned its an incomplete product. Buy now fix later is not a risk i want to take and to be honest some of these issues should have been sorted prior to its launch.

Regards Roy
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... which is a great shame, because SOME of the standard TomTom features have been improved a lot. The screen is one of the brightest and clearest I've sen (but prone to reflections) and the routing calculation is MUCH faster then any other unit (Lands End to John O'Groats on a Go950 takes almost 59 seconds, but on a Go1000 it's only 10.7 seconds!.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote
Quote:
The biggest omissions currently are no custom POI support at all, no backup and no map updates.

Map updates came through in December for everyone on 1000 series (not sure about the new Via units too, but would presume this would be the same)

As for the units like everyone else has said here, they are great units and if you have live without PGPSW cameras for now, then there is absolutely no reason not to buy it and every reason to buy it

If PGPSW cameras are important and you don't trust TT to release the update, just hold on to your current unit for a few more weeks ;-) and buy it when they release the updated software

After using it since its launch, the only two things I would change on mine is 1) the on-off button should be a little more definite and 2) lane guidance more accurate (map problem not unit software)
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Map updates came through in December for everyone on 1000 series (not sure about the new Via units too, but would presume this would be the same)

Not entirely correct.........

The update servers DID supply updated maps for the 1000, 1005, and the North American 2405 and 2505 users for a few days.

But TT pulled the updates when too many users of all mentioned models found that the updates did not work and the user wound up with either no map or a bricked unit.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhn wrote:

Sorry, was referring to UK TomToms which did get the update and from what I read without a hitch

Hopefully they will be back online for everyone shortly then
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:
dhn wrote:

Sorry, was referring to UK TomToms which did get the update and from what I read without a hitch

Not correct either, I'm afraid.

As dhn says the update was only very briefly available and many UK users did NOT get it.
Here's what TomTom customer support said a couple of weeks ago to one UK user (my bold text):

Quote:
I am really sorry for replying to your query so late and making you wait for the response to your query, please accept my apologies. We appreciate your time and patience.

However I am again sorry to inform you but we at customer support are facing issue with the Latest Map Guarantee for the GO 1000 series of device and that is the reason why we are unable to use the LMG services.

I am sorry to inform you unfortunately but unfortunately this feature is not available currently with the GO 1000.

However I would suggest you to visit the following link below and click on "Notify Me" so that as soon as there is a resolution for the LMG for Go 1000 you will receive a notification from us, if you have already tried it then all I can suggest you is to bear with us until the issue is resolved.
http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/d...O%201000%20LIVE

I really apologize for all the inconvenience faced by you because of TomTom.

If you have any further query, please do not hesitate to write us, we will be more than happy to assist you.

Also I would take issue with where you say "
xtraseller wrote:
As for the units like everyone else has said here, they are great units and if you have live without PGPSW cameras for now, then there is absolutely no reason not to buy it and every reason to buy it

If the OP reads ALL the many posts and reports of the 1000 and Via models on here and other forums the majority certainly don't say they are "great little units".
Yes, they have SOME very nice aspects, but there's a whole lot more wrong or missing with these units than the lack of 3rd party POI support.

But we've discussed this at great length elsewhere, so I won't repeat it all here.
rsinbad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If the OP reads ALL the many posts and reports of the 1000 and Via models on here and other forums the majority certainly don't say they are "great little units".
Yes, they have SOME very nice aspects, but there's a whole lot more wrong or missing with these units than the lack of 3rd party POI support.

But we've discussed this at great length elsewhere, so I won't repeat it all here.

Hi Andy

I have read quite a few reports on this model and agree there are some that think its great, but there a lot more that are disapointed.I have always had tom tom not really had any problems, as i have said buy it now fix it later is a no no , the tom tom 1005 gets the thumbs down from me.

lets hope they don't start making cars Laughing
regards

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: