Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin Imports??
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin Imports??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheReverend
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:08 pm    Post subject: Garmin Imports?? Reply with quote

I'm completely new to GPS, and am in the market for a Garmin 60CSx or similar. When I compare the prices, you can import the units from the USA at about 50% the UK prices. I know there are voltage differences, but I can get around this, but are the base maps going to be USA rather than UK? I've also seen on the Garmin website that when you want to upgrade the mapping, it asks for the serial number, which I would assume automatically updates the US maps?
Has anyone else got an imported model, as I'd like to hear your experiences.
missing_user

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin Imports?? Reply with quote

TheReverend wrote:
I'm completely new to GPS, and am in the market for a Garmin 60CSx or similar. When I compare the prices, you can import the units from the USA at about 50% the UK prices.

There are now places in the UK selling them for £200 - that compares with the US prices plus postage!

I know there are voltage differences, Not an issue but I can get around this,

but are the base maps going to be USA rather than UK? Yes, but you can load an European Basemap.

I've also seen on the Garmin website that when you want to upgrade the mapping, it asks for the serial number, which I would assume automatically updates the US maps? No the maps are not within the unit - you have to buy the extra CityNavigator or Topo with unlock codes and can if you wish update those

Has anyone else got an imported model, as I'd like to hear your experiences.

Yes, I bought mine from the US on eBay two years ago, no problems at all!

I would look on ebay UK and see the prices there.

The cheapest maps are MetroGuide, I see there are DVD's and SDs with full 'autorouting' Metroguide on ebay - some new and some used - at fantastic prices!
TheReverend
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your comprehensive reply Strumble. Please do let me know where I can get them for £200, as I'm struggling!

I can't believe how hard it is to actually see one of these units before buying it. I checked all the major stores at the weekend, and everybody is selling the in-car units.

The reason I've been looking recently is that I've been doing alot of walking (locally) and would like to know where I am in relation to the local byways etc.. I'd love to have a unit which would hold a local OS map which I can refer to whilst walking, but I'm doubtful if it's possible? It seems that I can load routes onto the GPS from my PC, and basically follow them and report my routes on my return. Is this about right?

I've also looked at the Garmin Rino 530HCx, which looks like it will allow me to broadcast my location and talk to base as well as being a GPS. They seem like a great idea for long walks, camping and holidays. Has anyone else used these units in the UK?
TheReverend
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact gents, scrub most of my questions as they've been addressed in iamian's question earlier!!

I'd still like to know if anyone is using the 530HCx in the UK, and their expiriences.

Thanks

The Rev.
lucas85
Spammer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:21 pm    Post subject: Garmin Rino 530HCX Reply with quote

I have used 530Hcx in the Alpes last year and it worked great for me. We were climbing in three teams ( everybody had 530Hcx ) and I could see everybody on your screen. That means that even when you loose eye contact with one of your teams you still see them on the screen. It is extremely useful in the mountains when weather conditions are difficult.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just puzzled - no problem with useful advice from anyone, but just what does
Quote:
BANNED
actually mean then?

@TheReverend - if you are also looking at the 530hcx, you seem to be going upmarket a bit. In which case, as you are after OS maps, you could do worse than look at the Satmap Active10, to see if it might fit your requirements.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Just puzzled - no problem with useful advice from anyone, but just what does
Quote:
BANNED

actually mean then?

That he's been permanantly banned from the forum. There are a number of other posts he has made which are no longer visible which are blatent adverts for his website and shop. Hence the "Spammer" tag too....
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, this was dredging up an old topic from years ago, a common trick with spammers.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: