Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Urban rider EU question regarding power
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Urban rider EU question regarding power

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sillysimon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:44 pm    Post subject: Urban rider EU question regarding power Reply with quote

I have just got a TT R EU and have purchased the active dock for it.

Can someone tell me wether the dock itself has an inbuilt fuse or should I fit an inline one before connecting to bike battery ??

Thanks in advance
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend you fit a 2A inline fuse as close as practically possible to the battery, if nothing else this protects the wiring to the nav unit which has to flex when steering and if it were to short out you want the fuse to blow rather than trying to deal with a fire a 70MPH - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually the active mount does have it's own fuse.

For some reason, neither the Rider User manual or the Rider Reference guide have any real details on fitting and wiring in the power for the mount, but I found this tiny mention on page 3 of the user guide.

Quote:
• If you choose to attach the mount kit yourself, note that the Active Dock has a built-in fuse.
This means that you don’t need to add a fuse yourself while performing the connection between the device and the motorcycle battery.

So it's not strictly necessary, but there's No harm in having "belt and braces" and fitting your own in-line fuse as well!
sillysimon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

many thanks guys Very Happy I did think that but just wanted to check first Cool
EricWB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Mike suggests an in line fuse close to the battery will protect you against a short to earth in that section of wire between the battery and the active mount.

Been there done it and got the burns to prove it.
exportman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

If you can fit the power supply through a relay that is live only when the ignition is on.

The reason I recommend this is that the active head can develop problems and be drawing power even when not in use ( I'm on my third) . Also a good practice too.

I have one fitted on my bike I power the sat nav heated grips and aux lights through it. No chance of leaving the power turned on when the ignition is off.

The switch feed is from the rear light circuit which only live when the ignition is on ( unless I was to use the park setting which is very unlikely)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: