Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - HD Traffic web site - TomTom Routes
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

HD Traffic web site - TomTom Routes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject: HD Traffic web site - TomTom Routes Reply with quote

While HD Traffic remains a marvellous thing when it is working, it is funny how poor the TomTom completion of the details is. The M6 motorway has multiple long delays right now. Both north and southbound. But how long is that delay total? Let's visit routes.tomtom.com and enter a route. Kendal to Worcester. 3 hours 5 mins, with 0 minutes for traffic. Powered by TomTom Traffic HD. Hmm, but what is that delay there, of 14 mins? Or that one of 19 mins?

Not a good advert is it really? I hope my 950 works better on the road.
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh! And it seems that my 950 doesn't have traffic all the way down the M6, only to past Manchester. Had anyone told TomTom? Gun Shoot Out Gun Shoot Out

CoPilot
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh No. Not yet another thread about TT Traffic No Spam Here Joker
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we are what, the tenth anniversary of the HD Traffic distance reduction. But I feel that the web site not working is another indication of the lack of completion of any of the things TomTom produce.

Preparing for my trip home, I could see that the traffic was bad. My 950 decided that SIM error 108 or something was a good option, and wouldn't connect. So I paid £3.99 for a month of traffic on the iPhone, and that did work okay. The 950 then decided to work after a while too, which was nice.

I look forward to trying iOS6 and seeing if it is a more reliable way to get HD traffic and navigation.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Oh No. Not yet another thread about TT Traffic No Spam Here Joker

Yeah - because every time we have a proper go about it on the TomTom Discussions Forum, they summarily delete our posts and suspend us for a couple of weeks. But they don't tell anybody they've done it and they don't warn us. And they haven't posted any information for six months.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis, have you noticed any changes to TT Traffic in recent months? I've used my 940 only a few times for long trips and found it performing OK on my usual M1/M25/M2 drive from Derbyshire to Kent and back. It's diverted me on to the A14/M11 once and even on to the A1M which it never did previously.

Only problem I have is with Bluetooth connectivity to my Nokia phone (it keeps dropping) but that's a different issue entirely.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HD Traffic only shows as far as Birmingham from Bristol and nothing in London. If I try, I can still do the fancy trick of screen grabbing the intial download of up to 200+ miles, followed by drop back to 75 or less.

The only changes I've noticed in recent months is failure to connect to the server, same trouble they're having in USA. One day recently it never connected from 7am to 1pm.

spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dennis. I don't make so many long distance journeys now but whenever I have used TT Traffic this year, it's worked well e.g. last Friday when there were numerous incidents on the M1 it notified me of them and I was able to assess them and avoid them. The rolling 75 mile range hasn't been an issue for me, on my journeys it's been far enough ahead to provide alternative routes (the A1M and M11 I mentioned previously).

Connection to the server is always rapid, within two minutes of switching on and dropped connections are now less of a problem too.
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As it will be deleted soon I expect, I'll repeat my post from the TT forums here, if I may:

Good news, good news. Terrible traffic in the UK at the moment. I'm about to head off down the M6, and showing 55 mins of traffic on mt TT740. Unfortunately the HD Traffic web site shows that there is at least another 30 mins of delay out of range. Bound to disappear by the time I get there though. Heck, it's been there all day so far (5 hours), so can't last much longer can it?

Oh, did I mention good news? Yep, the TT PND user doesn't need to feel hard done by compared to the iPhone users and their separate data feeds. That too is limiting the range of traffic so I can't see further using that either. So no need to spend money on the iPhone app for better service. Phew!

Hang on, the delays just got bigger? How can that happen? They should be getting less...

Wish me luck.
scotty76
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed the website behaves in the same way as the devices. If you plan a long route and get 0 mins delay, if you move the start point to just before an incident suddenly it appears. I've done this a few times when playing with routes up the M6. So it would seem the website has a "range" as well.

HD traffic has worked for me on my most recent trips North on the M6, diverting me round some serious incidents which were well reported by the radio.

It does have days where it won't connect, other days it takes ages to connect and yet another days it connects really quickly.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scotty76 wrote:
So it would seem the website has a "range" as well.
The probable reason for this is so that it won't be glaringly obvious to people that the range has been butchered on their devices Rolling Eyes . Call me Mr. Cynical if you want Wink
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooo, you Cynical Mr, you.

matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to think that there was a range in play, but many times the first delay is the town traffic just 100 yards from my start point. That's some short range! However, I'm pleased to hear that it can show delays, as that just means it is a bug, and bound to be spotted and fixed within weeks of the site's release.

Oh yes. Sad
scotty76
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some examples of what I mean. Two routes. One from Swindon to Luton, 0 mins delay shown. One from Reading to Luton, almost the same route just starting further up the M4 and hey presto, 25.5 mins delay!

[/img]
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you are right. Worcester to Kendal, right now, gets zero delay. Penkridge to Kendal gets 58 mins delay (on the M6). So only the first 50 miles perhaps.

What a heap of Censored

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: