Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - HP IPAQ 2210 and Hiacom HI-204s GPS
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

HP IPAQ 2210 and Hiacom HI-204s GPS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard9339
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 7:35 pm    Post subject: HP IPAQ 2210 and Hiacom HI-204s GPS Reply with quote

Hi,

can anyone please tell me what drivers i need to connect these to items together? I have bought the lead to convert between GPS USB and the IPAQ but there is just no connection or drivers anywhere. Many thanks

RIchard
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming you have the Haicom cable for your iPAQ, no drivers are needed as the GPS is a serial device. I don't see where USB comes into it; you can't use a USB cable with most Pocket PCs, and the connector in the Haicom cable uses a mini-DIN plug, not a USB one. If you have a USB only Haicom, you can't use that with a Pocket PC.

There are two caveats. Firstly, the GPS will only work when the cigarette lighter plug on the GPS cable is connected to power - otherwise there's no power to the GPS hardware. Secondly, if you have a driver installed for a plug in keyboard, you'll need to disable the keyboard driver to use the GPS.

What software are you trying to use on the Pocket PC?

David
Richard9339
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David many thanks.

In reply, you are correct, the Hiacom is mini Din and i have a cable to convert that to the IPAQ connection. The software is Pocket PC 2003 Prem. I have Tom Tom navigation software but have not installed it on my IPAQ yet - however as i write this i think i might need to if the GPS does not require any other drivers.

Is this correct please?
MAny thanks.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to double check that you've got communication, you can download and install the latest version of TomTom GPS from support.tomtom.com before installing and activating TomTom Navigator software.

You won't need any drivers; the GPS you have is a serial device. Plug the 22 pin plug into the iPAQ, plug the GPS into the mini-DIN and plug the cigarette lighter plug into a 12V power source.

In the second tab of TomTom GPS, tap to take the tick out of the box, select 'Haicom GPS' (this is correct for the HI-204S as it's SiRF based - Evermore based Haicoms should use 'NMEA 0183v2 4800') and select COM1: (which may be described as 'Serial cable on COM1:') and then tap the box to tick it again.

You should find, when you switch back to the first tab, that you see scrolling dots, a time and date (which will eventually correct themselves if they're wrong to start with) and after a while - which may be some considerable time the first time the GPS is used, you'll get a position fix where the bars go red and the longitude and latitude figures appear.

You can then proceed to install and activate your TomTom Navigator software and maps safe in the knowledge that your GPS installation is working correctly.

I would upgrade to Navigator 3 3.07 (or 3.07T if you want to evaluate and/or subscribe to Traffic) and GPS 3.07 when you've got everything installed.

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: