Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Rat trap cameras introduced in Cambridgshire
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Rat trap cameras introduced in Cambridgshire
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Duddy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many areas where the Police get involved or assist a person or business and a CRIMINAL offence is not involved.

With regards trespass, the guidelines were "A Police Officer MAY assist with regards a trespass"

So long as the hospital displays the correct notices I see no problem in the offending drivers being civily sued.

On a personal note I think a driver, who uses a hospital grounds as a rat-run is an idiot, should pay £45 on the 1st instance, £100 on 2nd and doubleing up every time after that. Eventually he would have to sell his car
Reading glasses getting thicker as is my waist
Retired but want to go back to work for a rest.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duddy wrote:
With regards trespass, the guidelines were "A Police Officer MAY assist with regards a trespass"

Sure, trespass is a civil matter but the Police will get involved if there is likely to be a breach of the peace, damage or threatening behaviour.

Duddy wrote:
On a personal note I think a driver, who uses a hospital grounds as a rat-run is an idiot, should pay £45 on the 1st instance, £100 on 2nd and doubleing up every time after that. Eventually he would have to sell his car

Yeah, sure. There are a lot of things in this world that annoy me too. Wouldn't it be great if we could just levy arbitrary fines whenever we saw fit! Laughing

Unfortunately the law doesn't work that way so it's not going to work. Wink
Duddy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mis-understand me slightly, I was attempting to point out the Police assist on many occasions when a criminal offence is not being commited or is not likely to be commited.

With regards to your 2nd point, the law can be applied in many ways, it just takes the will to apply an appropriate law. The MP's thought they were immune with regards their expenses.

In a civil case evidence of a previous occurrence, of the same matter, can, and is, given after the findings. e.g. evidence of a non-criminal bankruptcy, whereupon a greater penalty may be applied.

Nothing is done, about small irritations in life, until someone stands up and tries.

Just my opinion.
Reading glasses getting thicker as is my waist
Retired but want to go back to work for a rest.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't help feeling that a traffic 'calming' measure, or a 'pay-on-entry/exit' (as most drivers SHOULD be using the hospital facilities or visiting) would solve this sort of problem, and possibly at less overall cost (and certainly less continuing administrative maintenance).

Rats run where it's fastest and just wouldn't bother if it took longer, or was more hassle, going through the hospital grounds. Basically, any time-'wasting' measure should do the trick. Why bother with expensive techy solutions?
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPerk wrote:
Why bother with expensive techy solutions?
Probably because they will raise money for someone. Shocked
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPerk wrote:
I can't help feeling that a traffic 'calming' measure, or a 'pay-on-entry/exit'

Basically, any time-'wasting' measure should do the trick. Why bother with expensive techy solutions?

As M8TJT says - there is the potential to make money on the techy solutions. Twisted Evil

I don't think traffic calming would work well, emergency vehicles will often enter or leave the site at high speed and it would be wrong to slow them down. Also, the bumps often used for traffic calming cause considerable discomfort to injured people. Try riding in an ambulance with a broken/dislocated limb while they drive over traffic humps. Crying or Very sad

The "time wasting" system might work but once again this is provided it didn't slow the emergency services.

If it's a private road then they could just charge a £5 toll to use the road and use the ANPR to enforce it. If you are a legitimate user then you can get the toll waived by entering your details on a machine inside the hospital building. I guess that's a lot of admin and messing about though...
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A hospital where I delivered recently had something of a scheme. Every vehicle had to take a ticket on entry and the driver has to go (by foot) to a pay station on exit. If time start to end is within ten minutes, free exit, otherwise pay at the usual exhorbitant scales. I would expect such a free exit system would still add enough delay to dissuade rat runners. I didn't see what arrangements were in force for emargency ambulances, but that could surely be a separate lane/barrier.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had in mind something more like 'one way' working, to send any through traffic 'round the houses' a bit, into the parking areas, for instance. In any case, I don't honestly think emergency vehicles would really be doing high speeds in the grounds, even if there was one of that endangered species, the A&E Dept there, as surely that would be extremely hazardous.

I take the point about revenue to some extent, though I would have expected the hospital to be relying more on parking revenue - it's very expensive at our local one. But this is clearly a measure to STOP people doing the rat-running for safety reasons, so I would have expected revenue to dry up long before any installation became self-financing, as otherwise the hospital authority would be looking for a better alternative.

I know the really cynical view is that such measures are always intended to be revenue gatherers, but I do think that there is sometimes a feeling of the 'Reds Under The Bed' syndrome. Razz Cool

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: