Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Newbie to tt6 navigator
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie to tt6 navigator
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blackstars
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:50 am    Post subject: Newbie to tt6 navigator Reply with quote

Hi guys, need your help/advice please!

I have just upgraded my car stereo to a Chinese unit that runs wince 6.
I am running tt6 on it, {have tried igo8, but like tom tom better, don’t know if igo8 is a better prog, it seems to have better graphics !}
I am not sure if my tt 6 is setup correctly as there a couple of things that don’t seem to be working right. i already have a 940 and that is what i am comparing it to.

1. There seems to be only a 3 digit postcode search???
2. when entering destination city, say for example Northampton, when you press n, it will come up with all the places beginning with n, in the whole of Europe, i just want the uk citys to be shown, is this possible ?
3. I have no speed cameras installed what so ever.
4. it takes about 5 mins to find a gps signal.

Also is it possible to have iq routes, text to speech and lane guidance on these navigator progs ? Would tt7 have any of these features?

Thanks guys!
AllyCat
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I don't know much about dash systems, but I'll try to start the ball rolling with a few answers.

1. Do you have a "postal" file in the ZIP folder ?

2. What is the name (folder) of your map files? If it's something like GB...+Major Roads of Europe then yes I think you'll get at least the major European towns listed.

3. Do you have any "camera" files in the POI list (i.e. in the map folder as above) ?

4. Is the slow acquisition with the car stationary or already moving? If the car is stationary with a "good view of the sky" and plenty of satellites have previously been received (GPS status somewhere in TT's settings/preferences menu) then perhaps the GPS antenna isn't well located, or the Chinese GPS receiver isn't too good.

I believe the latter features are (mainly?) limited to TT's hardware units and TT7 is unlikely to be much better (if it works at all).

Cheers, Alan.
Memory Map (v5.4.2 & v5.1.3 OS & Euro), GPS gate,OSGPSconverter.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Sygic on it as it works well on my double DIN head unit of Chinese origin, to save you the time and frustration of messing with TTN7 don't bother, if you do get it to install the voices don't work correctly as the processor isn't up to the job of running that application.

The maps with TTN6 are very dated by todays standards, I have to say I don't have trouble with the GPS receiver for my unit and I simply stuck it to one of the metal brackets under the dash - Mike
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For postcodes, try copying the Zip folder from your 940 onto it.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
blackstars
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AllyCat wrote:
Hi,

I don't know much about dash systems, but I'll try to start the ball rolling with a few answers.

1. Do you have a "postal" file in the ZIP folder ?

2. What is the name (folder) of your map files? If it's something like GB...+Major Roads of Europe then yes I think you'll get at least the major European towns listed.

3. Do you have any "camera" files in the POI list (i.e. in the map folder as above) ?

4. Is the slow acquisition with the car stationary or already moving? If the car is stationary with a "good view of the sky" and plenty of satellites have previously been received (GPS status somewhere in TT's settings/preferences menu) then perhaps the GPS antenna isn't well located, or the Chinese GPS receiver isn't too good.

I believe the latter features are (mainly?) limited to TT's hardware units and TT7 is unlikely to be much better (if it works at all).

Cheers, Alan.

Hi,

yes i do have a 'postal file' in my zip folder, in the main tom tom folder, all i can see regarding map files is, Western_and_Central_Europe.pna file ??
i do have a poi file, but i cannot open it up to have a look inside, as it is a dat file, 39.450kb in size.
once the car is moving, there is no probs with the gps signal, even though sometimes there is only one bar, perhaps i should wait for a gps signal before i drive off, if this is quicker than driving around looking for a signal ???
if i copied the poi's and camera files off my 940 would they work ?

Seriously though, is tom tom 6 or 7 worth bothering with ??
The only reason i am using tt6 is because, it is so easy to use and i know my around all the tt menus, as i have a 940, but compared to that, tt6 looks very basic indeed. are there better satnav progs out there ?
i tried igo8, and that seemed a lot better than tt, , better graphics, more info menus, but not so easy to use as tt, just seemed a bit long winded to put your destination in, and also that only has a 3 digit postcode search as well. never heard of sygic so cant comment.

so is there 'life outside of tom tom' ? should i give igo8 another go, as think most people rate that higher than tt.

Thanks Eric
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Seriously though, is tom tom 6 or 7 worth bothering with ??

Simple answer No!, Its not worth the hassle,
The earlier TT V7 was relatavely simple to use if you simply wanted later version maps, but as new versions was introduced it became a pain in the backside because of the variations and having to ensure you used the correct TT version with the correct version Map making it impossible to use lane assist etc, from my observations and looking at alternatives it would seem that Sygic mm10 is the best alternative for TomTom lovers. and of course sourcing the TT software is the added problem,

Last edited by aj2052 on Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:29 am; edited 1 time in total
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blackstars wrote:
perhaps i should wait for a gps signal before i drive off, if this is quicker than driving around looking for a signal ???
That is always a good idea. It's usually much quicker. Imagine trying to draw a straight line to a point that's always moving. That's the sort of problem that the satnav has when it's moving.
AllyCat
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blackstars wrote:
a 'postal file' in my zip folder, in the main tom tom folder

Hi Eric,

I believe the ZIP and "map name" folders (which contain custom POIs, etc.) should be in the root, not the TomTom folder.

Personally I still use TT6 because it runs on my same PDA as Memory Map, I have changed the menus to my liking, it has the excellent OSGPSconverter addon (to get directly to walk startpoints) and I find the "Limited Speed" option ideal for planning journey times, etc.. But even when introduced I've never found TT's maps exactly "up to date", so I would probably look elsewhere if I wanted a "serious" road navigation package.

Cheers, Alan.
Memory Map (v5.4.2 & v5.1.3 OS & Euro), GPS gate,OSGPSconverter.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Installed Sygic MM10 on my optimus phone earlier today and must admit not disapointed, although its android version and working on a 3" screen and not yet done a road test seems to be fully functional usefull nav system, interface very similar to TomTom with a few more enhancements over TT7 including lane assist and itinary optimisation, cannot offer any comparison with later versions of tomtom but certainly vast improvement over TT6 and uptodate maps, I tried Igo8 a couple of years ago and found it too complicated, but you can see more by downloading sygic manual from thier website to see functions, I will probaly move over my PDA to sygic when TT7 loses it usefullness.
blackstars
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aj2052 wrote:
Installed Sygic MM10 on my optimus phone earlier today and must admit not disapointed, although its android version and working on a 3" screen and not yet done a road test seems to be fully functional usefull nav system, interface very similar to TomTom with a few more enhancements over TT7 including lane assist and itinary optimisation, cannot offer any comparison with later versions of tomtom but certainly vast improvement over TT6 and uptodate maps, I tried Igo8 a couple of years ago and found it too complicated, but you can see more by downloading sygic manual from thier website to see functions, I will probaly move over my PDA to sygic when TT7 loses it usefullness.

where did you get sygic from and what size is the prog ? i am going to give igo8 a try, it cant be any worse than tt6, igo8 seems to have more use and info than tt6, although i will more than likely end up with sygic because it seems more useable
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You want the Windows Mobile version intended for use on Pocket PC based devices, you can download whats needed from Here - Mike
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the link from Mike takes you to Sygic site, download is about 330mb zipped (uk & Ire) about 460mb unzipped altogether, dont know how much is actually installed because it is installed from Card and i think maps etc still reside on memory card but it takes probably a few minutes to install (plus thinking time of course), although I used android version checked compatability with Asus a696 which is win6 so should be ok for you
blackstars
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
You want the Windows Mobile version intended for use on Pocket PC based devices, you can download whats needed from Here - Mike

had a look at the website, is this what i need ?http://www.sygic.com/index.php/en/how-to-buy.html
seems very cheap ??? is it all there in the one 330mb download ?
maybe better to buy a proper copy, than trying to find one on the internet, if you know what i mean.....
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Price depends on what regions you require, but I think you will find the retailers will be more expensive but possibly on card as opposed to download from the maker, but you pays your money and makes your choice, so to speak.
blackstars
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aj2052 wrote:
Price depends on what regions you require, but I think you will find the retailers will be more expensive but possibly on card as opposed to download from the maker, but you pays your money and makes your choice, so to speak.

Its 19.99euro, {10 euro discount, till midnight} which works out to about £18, which i think is very good, is it is easy to update and what extra features and benefits {text to speech, speed camera warnings etc, etc..} does it have over tt nav 6 or 7? {

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: