Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Another tomtom 1000 update coming down
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Another tomtom 1000 update coming down
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:
(nice to the have PGPSW ones in a TomTom Chargable App option one day next year - that would be good for everyone!)

I hope pgpsw don't let TomTom have them - the implementation of the RoadAngel ones has demonstrated that TT have strange ideas about maintaining accuracy.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking of it as an independent app, through TomTom with revenue share (bit like all the iPhone / Android stores, etc.) which may come next year some time

Or maybe not...!
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:
I was thinking of it as an independent app, through TomTom with revenue share (bit like all the iPhone / Android stores, etc.) which may come next year some time

Or maybe not...!

Didn't you already say that third party POIs are definitely promised for some time next year?

xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
xtraseller wrote:

Or maybe not...!

Didn't you already say that third party POIs are definitely promised for some time next year?

Not at all DenniN, keep up...! It was TomTom who announced that, through PGPSW. I'm not that bad on computers, but I ain't writing a patch for TomTom

And what I was talking about above was the Apps which are possible on the new web based OS of the new TomToms, and MAY come to fruition sometime next year, where independent apps could be made available through the TomTom Marketplace or something which would mean PGPWS data, for instance, would be retained in their control
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
mjdj1689
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:13 pm    Post subject: Mobile speed cameras Reply with quote

Just been reading on Tom Toms website that Mobile speed cameras are downloaded over the air, can you someone tell me how you can check this on the 1000 device please ?

Is there anyway if you can tell if you have the latest version ? and is there any settings in the menus you have to be sure are ticked for this to happen ?

Thanx
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mobile speed camera database that TomTom offer is nothing short of a joke, I wouldn't worry about how it gets delivered or updated as its as good as useless when out on the road. This isn't an attempt to bolster what this site can offer it is a simple fact.

Anything that takes mobile locations from other users and shares them around but only retains the locations for 24 hours is not going to work.

I have known some users to even set up a spoken alert for the TomTom Mobile cameras that reads out "Well **** Me I have found a mobile camera location" even with young kids in the car they won't get to hear the warning! - Mike
G4GVB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a point I would like to make. Quite a few people buy these TT units and customise them, cameras, splash screens, POI etc. Just as people do with their computers. If TT are misguided enough to take this away with their new models thats fine, its up to them. But why is this not mentioned in their advertising. People buy these models expecting to be able to do what they did with the old models only to find they can't.

Tomtom Mislead.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be interested in the proportion of sales between new & returning customers. From my limited experience on ebay, newcomers have no knowledge, few expectations, and no inclination to even register with the companies' websites. They just seem to just want to plug the satnav into the car and go to B.

We PGPSW (and other forum) 'afficianados', who even KNOW about POIs, never mind want them, may well be in a minority, and so of less concern to TomTom, etc.

Even with existing customers, manufacturers know there is a lot of 'loyalty' (= disinclination to move to a 'non-favourite' supplier) so they can hope not to end up with TOO many defectors.
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good points BigPerk. Forum members and tweakers are well in the minority I suspect, and Tomtom has a very efficient web of marketing. Going by some of the TT press releases you'd think their satnav's should be considered the 8th Wonders. Laughing
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Anything that takes mobile locations from other users and shares them around but only retains the locations for 24 hours is not going to work.

There was another problem when I last used that thing - they used to update over the air (a selectable function whilst the device was switched on and had a route planned) with currently operating mobile cameras - users would report a mobile operating and TT would supposedly circulate it, then remove it after 24 hours. But the only one I ever noticed was kept in that category ("operating today") for some weeks!

At that time they had two categories of mobiles, being sort of "mobile areas" and "current mobile operating". They were both rubbish and I have long since stopped even bothering to compare them with the pgpsw database for laughs.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: