Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom to Add 3rd Party POI Support by End of January 2011
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom to Add 3rd Party POI Support by End of January 2011
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:56 pm    Post subject: File Transfer Reply with quote

Its more of a file installer / transfer than a POI management utility since you have to do all the managing manually within the folders
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ xtraseller I assume you are talking about the Garmin POI loader rather than the MyTomTom system? - Mike
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And can we keep this thread for discussion of TomTom, MyTomTom and the VIA & GO100x associated issues please.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

defi wrote:

I couldn’t care less about mp3's etc, I just want a satnav that is lightweight (Velcro is my mount) fits in my pocket (just) and supports 3rd party Poi's with Ogg sound files, a microphone for hands free would be nice.

... and there's the manufacturers' problem.

I couldn't care less about a microphone for hands free, but I really do want an mp3 player.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:01 pm    Post subject: Garmin POI Reply with quote

Yes the Garmin POI is what I am referring too
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
thezerocool
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:16 am    Post subject: Re: My Tom Tom Reply with quote

mow wrote:
Were there any hints on when the Company will get the "My Tom Tom" connectivity to actually work?
At the moment the device states “not connected” when Tom Tom says it is, States there are important downloads when apparently there aren’t.
The whole thing seems to be a disaster and no sign of any solution

It all works fine here.

From my expience, admittedly largely from other versions of Home, connection errors are usually caused by random driver errors caused on first connection and can be fixed by removing drivers and reinstalling so I would suggest your error could be PC or 'picnic'. Try another computer to be sure before blaming the software or device as other people are having success.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The confusion arises because different parts of the MyTomTom system give completely conflicting results.

For example on my last "update" (no idea what was actually being done as it gives no details) the My TomTom webpage was saying "Not connected" while the mouse text (if you hovered over the program icon in the system tray) was saying "updating...", as was the Go1000 screen.

After about 5 minutes the My TomTom page decided I *was* connected after all, but then when the process ended according to the webpage, the hover text said "still updating , keep connected, while the Go itself said "you can now disconnect".

No wonder people are confused.
Fraserp
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom to Add 3rd Party POI Support by End of January 20 Reply with quote

Quote:
The statements are looking quite promising and are summarised below:
  • Latest Map Guarantee and Speed cameras will be available towards end of the year
  • 3rd party Points of Interest will be enabled by end January 2011
  • Latest Map Guarantee – extended from 30 to 90 days for the GO 100x and Via ranges
  • Itinerary Planning will be available in Q2 2011, as part of a scheduled feature release

We also quizzed TomTom for some more details on the POI aspect of their announcement so read on to find out what will and won't be available for you.

Has anything changed with the TT and the 1000 series since the November posting? Did they manage to deliver the "latest Map Guarantee and Speed cameras" ?
While I still have a working 920, I'm not intending to buy another Sat Nav Until they add back the 3rd party POI's and Itineraries it wont be a TomTom.
SatMap
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite a few people have received new maps earlier this month so TomTom are making some progress. As for their Speed Camera updates I have no idea as to whether that is working.

Custom POI installation, they have a further 30 days to meet their own January 2011 target date.

Itinerary integration, never been mentioned for the new 1000/ 1005 or Via devices so I very much doubt that will get added to these devices, I have never considered the Itinerary Planning option fully integrated on any TomTom that does support it, it always had a feel of being developed elsewhere and bolted in to the main code, even the menu colour scheme stood out like a sore thumb when you entered itinerary mode - Mike
Fraserp
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Quite a few people have received new maps earlier this month so TomTom are making some progress. As for their Speed Camera updates I have no idea as to whether that is working.

Custom POI installation, they have a further 30 days to meet their own January 2011 target date.

Itinerary integration, never been mentioned for the new 1000/ 1005 or Via devices so I very much doubt that will get added to these devices, I have never considered the Itinerary Planning option fully integrated on any TomTom that does support it, it always had a feel of being developed elsewhere and bolted in to the main code, even the menu colour scheme stood out like a sore thumb when you entered itinerary mode - Mike

The original posted referred to:-
Quote:
Itinerary Planning will be available in Q2 2011, as part of a scheduled feature release
Is this not the same thing? Is it not possible to set up a route and save it on the new devices as you can on earlier TT units? Do other satnav products allow route planning?
SatMap
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fraserp wrote:
mikealder wrote:

Itinerary integration, never been mentioned for the new 1000/ 1005 or Via devices

The original posted referred to:-
Quote:
Itinerary Planning will be available in Q2 2011, as part of a scheduled feature release

Is this not the same thing?

Yes, you're right 'fraserp', Mike's mistaken on that point.
He's right about how the Itinerary functionality always feels like a later "bolt-on" that was never properly finished though!

Fraserp wrote:
Is it not possible to set up a route and save it on the new devices as you can on earlier TT units?

Not currently. It's all part of TomTom's mad desire to "simplify" everything.

Fraserp wrote:
Do other satnav products allow route planning?

I certainly think so... A quick Google came up with this quote back in 2006 from a Garmin Streetpilot review...

Quote:
Both units let you create and save routes with multiple via points. On the Garmin, they're called "Saved Routes". On the TomTom, they're called "Itineraries".

surely Garmin wouldn't be so stupid to remove the feature as well as TT?
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
surely Garmin wouldn't be so stupid to remove the feature as well as TT?

yes, multi-pont routing / trip planner is available on most, if not all, of garmin's higher-end models.

MaFt
mjdj1689
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone had any updates for their 1000, I have seen nothing no speed cams nothing not even pois, still not their end of the month yet.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patience... Wink
mjdj1689
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following on from this I was in Tamworth area today, and on the m42 I went through some average speed cameras, between junction 9 and 10, I thought on the 1000 that mobile speed cameras were updated over the air.. They never came up on mine and if have a subscription should these not come up on their database.

I bet they are on the pgws database. I will be glad to get that back as you do miss it and with Tom Tom as the only source its so annoying.

I will be looking forward how pois will be added onto the 1000 with not being able to get into the route directory anymore.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: