Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Goodbye TomTom. Enough is enough..
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Goodbye TomTom. Enough is enough..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ravi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:32 am    Post subject: Goodbye TomTom. Enough is enough.. Reply with quote

Two weeks ago I bought a Go 1000. It worked for a few hours. It would connect to Live Services when it felt like it and gave me traffic when it wanted to, and then developed a SIM error. After waiting nearly 40mins for phone support, TT told me to take it back as it was faulty.

Last week I replaced it with a Go 1005. This one did exactly the same things but as a bonus, it would re-boot randomly and sometimes simply not boot at all. Yaaay!
Back it went.

Like an idiot, I went to John Lewis and picked up a Go950 on saturday because most people seemed to say that the new Go1005 & Go1000 series were full of problems and the 'old' ones were better. I've spent the weekend trying to connect to Live Services, trying to connect to Google searches, trying to stop it re-booting everytime it tries to get traffic and generally trying not to pull my hair out over TT. It also gives me red screen errors that say:

"Could not connect to TomTom Services",
"There is a SIM fault" or something like that
"Could not establish a wireless data connection"
"An error occured on the TomTom",
"Connecting to TomTom server.." for hours on end if I leave it.

It's going back also.

Yesterday, after having a gutsfull of TT products, I went and bought a Nuvi 3790T. It just works intuitively, and doesn't promise stuff that it can't deliver. The display makes any TT display look like something that was output from a Sinclair Spectrum.

I would urge any potential purchasers of a TomTom to not to be swayed by the promise of much and prepare for the delivery of sweet FA. If you have to buy a TT, buy it mail order so at least you can sling it back when it fails within the first few days!

Finally, I have to add that this is my opinion based on my experiences with TT devices I have purchased. Your mileage may vary...

Last edited by ravi on Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
swash
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't agree more, if Tom Tom's did what it says on the tin, they would be fantastic, however most of the time, you can't even get the fecking lid off!
ravi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Couldn't agree more, if Tom Tom's did what it says on the tin, they would be fantastic, however most of the time, you can't even get the fecking lid off!"

LMAO
LesP2008
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, had this problem with my 1005 live services on and off for almost two weeks now. Today it was totally useless never connected all day...just what am i paying for? It seems as these newer models have been "upgraded" they have got progressively worse. I supported the new 1005 in the beginning but to be honest as much as i like the unit it's performance is crap. Mine has become slow to plan routes, it's routing is sometimes crazy, it's refresh rate is slow, and as for the postcodes well forget it they are f*****g useless one in harlow took me 3.9 miles away into a cul de sac instead of the business park it should have gone to.
Gotta hold my hands up and say that i have to agree with the general consensus in the beginning, that these units are not doing it.
Bjalf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My TomTom works perfectly!

Of course, it's an XL 340 with no live services, no traffic, and no mapshare ... Wink
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LesP2008 wrote:
as for the postcodes well forget it they are f*****g useless one in harlow took me 3.9 miles away into a cul de sac instead of the business park it should have gone to.

Any chance you could tell us that postcode?
SQUARE2024
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using a TT 530 for a few years now,the only problem I have had is dropping the Blue tooth connection [usually with same incoming phone No]
As for all this harping on about bad routing etc,it is easy to enter it in- correct and we must all have done it some time and I am one of them !,the route you can pre-view it before you set off,if your not happy hit the button again [I always look for the straightest line across the mapping].
I also use a Garmin courtesy of th 2010 xmas comp, and believe me that is not perfect either,remember they are an aid not a co-pilot,just remember what it was like before sat nav, they make journeys a tad easier.
thats it I have had my say...............

TomTom 520
Christmas Draw 2010 Grand Final Winner Garmin Nuvi 1490TV
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very true. That's all a satnav is, an aid. Just like when we relied on maps sometimes you have to engage brain. At the end of the day it's a navigation device, if it gets you there it's done its job Wink
scotty76
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must admit the live connection seems to be getting worse on my Via Live 120. I've had it two months and when I first got it, it used to connect quickly and stay connected.

These last few weeks it's reluctant at peak times (known issue?). Sometimes I get the spinning cog forever, othertimes I get the triangle exclamation mark. I find if I turn it off and on again it sometimes connects but if I leave it on showing the spinning cog it never reconnects. Sadly unless I am stopped I won't touch it (I don't want to be a Daily Mail headline Very Happy )
LesP2008
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed... about the sat nav just being an aid, however as i have had tomtom units from the very start and never had any problem of this nature before i feel that there is certainly a problem with these newer units when it comes to the way they work out routings. Perhaps the IQ routing is the problem? perhaps live traffic is not helping?, in truth i don't know and when i am in an unfamiliar area i guess i will never know.
The instances i refer to are all in areas i know like my own back yard and believe me some of the ways this thing has sent me you have to think Jeremy Beadle is inside the unit having a laugh. It has got to the point where i now do not take much notice of it when i am in familiar territory or go through the route to see where it is sending me, which kinda defeats the object, if i want a slow laborius system then i can always get a £20 AA road atlas.
The 1005 as a unit is good but its how TomTom gets it to use its brain that is sadly lacking
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no major complaints about my GO 1000.

Live Traffic works 99% of the time.

It gets me where I want to go.

No lockups or reboots during journeys, unless initiated by me.

My GO 1000 is what dreams are made of. Laughing
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LesP2008 wrote:
if i want a slow laborius system then i can always get a £20 AA road atlas.
Obtainable for £1.99 from most good stores Confused Very Happy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: