Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New user problems
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New user problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Apple Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nhalliday
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:55 pm    Post subject: New user problems Reply with quote

I've just been trying to use the app for the first time. I successfully downloaded the free "trial" update (and the database seems to be loaded OK), but I'm getting the following issues:

1. Most of the time, there are no cameras shown on the map, even though I know there are plenty there (and in the database). Occasionally they appear on the map (hundreds of them), but almost always, there's nothing. If I tap the "list" icon, it sometimes lists nothing, but sometimes lists cameras hundreds of miles away (I'm guessing they are in the UK, I'm in Belgium).

2. I don't need to see the map, ideally I'd like to keep my phone in my pocket and for it to just beep/vibrate when approaching a camera. Is there something I need to change in the settings to keep the app running in the background? It seems to me that everytime I press the phone's home screen button, the app quits.

So far, I've been unable to get it to alert me of a single camera, but I'm sure I must be doing something wrong.

Finally, is there an updated user manual available? The one on this forum seems to relate to a different version, and includes buttons I don't have, as well as not mentioning ones I do. For example, what does the toggle to the right of the volume slider bar do (accessed by tapping the musical note button)?

Any help gratefully received!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no expert, but here goes with a little...

Cameras don't often show up until you start moving (with a satellite/GPS lock). There are cameras in Bruxelles. I don't know where you are, but if you could drive from N50.84965, E4.48033 to N50.87717, E4.46389 you would pass a 120 Km/h camera on that road east of the city.

When you press the Home button, the app does not quit, it goes into background mode. It will give warnings in that mode (in your pocket).

Tap the cog icon, bottom right, to go to the second page where you can alter settings...

Manage Cameras is to link a PGPSW Account and download the latest database.

Sound Warnings - ON, tap arrow to right of it for selecting warning range, warning sound and parameters.

Return to page two and Map, Show - 3 choices are Always, Near Cameras and Never. I use Near Cam, then it puts up the map when approaching a camera (but only when running in the foreground, not in background mode, when it will only give the audio warning).

Map type choices Standard, Satellite view or Hybrid view. I use standard - satellite and hybrid are not my preference.

Zoom Automatically.

I'm sorry, I can't help you with the manual - people on here will tell you I never read manuals - it's why I'm pretty hopeless at many things!!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
nhalliday
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Dennis.

Those settings are pretty much what I've got, with the exception of displaying the map (no need with the phone in my pocket).

I think the problem may be to do with the app not running in the background. For example, although I never quit out of the app (by double-clicking the button then closing it via the red cross), more often than not, when I tap the icon, it goes through the whole welcome screen thing again, which suggests to me that it hasn't been running.

If I can get to the bottom of that, I'll have another go at testing it on the road.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
when I tap the icon, it goes through the whole welcome screen thing again, which suggests to me that it hasn't been running.

Does here too but it's still running in the background as the latest release introduced mult-tasking.

What iPhone do you have and what iOS are you running?

Try running it in the foreground first and then try it in the background. It definately works here as i have had it running behind nDrive on several occasions.

Finally you say you want it running in your pocket but are you sure it's maintaining a satalite lock in your pocket?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What welcome screen? I get a very brief blue intro logo thing, but then in millisecs, moves on to the normal CamerAlert. I've just loaded it now and inside here with no satellite lock, it's showing quite a lot of cameras, nearest 407.0 miles away (my real nearest is a mobile about 890yds away).

Closing via the red cross? Mine's a red minus sign.

Please be aware that you can delete, redownload and reinstall the app at any time - I have done so myself a couple times, in order to refresh the app if it gets itself in a twist. I suggest you try that for now - it'll tell you that you have already bought it, so this download is free.

MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Please be aware that you can delete, redownload and reinstall the app at any time

NO! not before you read this: if you delete the app and reinstall then you will NOT be able to get the latest database update. as it is only one free database per device.

if you have an iPhone 3G (NOT 3GS or 4) then it will not run in the background. You can however go to the settings (cog in bottom right) then choose Show Map: Never so no map is shown. also, from memory, putting your phone in standby will still give you alerts.

also, we may simply be lacking data for your area. if you go to http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Cameras&op=SubmitCamera you can see the map and see what cameras we have. if you know of any missing ones then please do submit them and, once confirmed, then you may qualify for free lifetime updates (tip: if you submit via the website then please create anaccount and also link your phone to that account).

MaFt
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
DennisN wrote:
Please be aware that you can delete, redownload and reinstall the app at any time

NO! not before you read this: if you delete the app and reinstall then you will NOT be able to get the latest database update. as it is only one free database per device.

Sorry MaFt - I almost did write "But you won't get a more up to date version of the database, you'll get the same one you got first time". I can't think why I decided not to. Embarassed

nhalliday
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.

The phone is a 3GS running the latest OS (4.1 I think?).

When it works, it definitely picks up the cameras, so the database isn't an issue.

The problem is how to keep it running. I have never closed the app by clicking the red minus sign, but it never seems to run for more than an hour. When I tap the app icon, I get the blue startup screen for a couple of seconds, then the map displays.

When I press the iPhone's hardware button to go back to the home screen, run another app or whatever, the GPS arrow remains displayed at the top of the screen. However, after a while it disappears, presumably meaning the app has quit?

I'm indoors now, presumably with no GPS signal (although the map shows a blue dot for my location). When I tap the list button, it tells me that the nearest camera is 231km away, when in fact it's less than 20km to the nearest one on the database (although there are dozens more which are not listed).

I'll have a go at deleting the app and re-installing it to see how I get on.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nhalliday wrote:
The problem is how to keep it running...

When I press the iPhone's hardware button to go back to the home screen, run another app or whatever, the GPS arrow remains displayed at the top of the screen. However, after a while it disappears, presumably meaning the app has quit?

this sounds like low memory issues. how many apps do you have running at the same time? and does the arrow disappear if you just press the home key and don't open any other apps?

nhalliday wrote:
I'm indoors now, presumably with no GPS signal (although the map shows a blue dot for my location). When I tap the list button, it tells me that the nearest camera is 231km away, when in fact it's less than 20km to the nearest one on the database (although there are dozens more which are not listed).

the app isn;t designed for 'couch testing'. the nearby cameras only update when you are moving so sitting indoors not moving will not show your position accurately and, hence, not show the nearest cameras in 'list view'. once you are moving then the list view will update. hope this helps?

MaFt
nhalliday
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick update after re-installing the app:

1. Oops, it doesn't keep the last downloaded database at all, instead it reverts to the pre-installed version. How do I get that back?

2. The icon at the top right is red, presumably meaning that there is no GPS fix? I downloaded the companion GPS-Status app, and this shows "Good fix".
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nhalliday wrote:
A quick update after re-installing the app:

1. Oops, it doesn't keep the last downloaded database at all, instead it reverts to the pre-installed version. How do I get that back?

You can't, and we DID warn you!! However, as you're trying to sort out a potential issue with the app I have added a single download back for your device. Go to settings / manage cameras and then it should allow you a free download.

nhalliday wrote:
2. The icon at the top right is red, presumably meaning that there is no GPS fix? I downloaded the companion GPS-Status app, and this shows "Good fix".

is this couch-testing again? try it moving outside and it should pick up.

MaFt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Apple Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: