Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - PGPSW Speed Camera Database on TomTom iPhone App
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

PGPSW Speed Camera Database on TomTom iPhone App
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 40, 41, 42  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

s3dbw wrote:
One additional query, If I wanted to change the warning distances, is there a way the cfg file can be edited to accommodate that?

We've included a sample config file with our default distances. To change these you would need to obtain a config file from a TomTom PND configured with your preferred settings.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rw613 wrote:
Is there a way to make this work on TomTom 1.6 for USA?

The same process would apply, but you would need to obtain a MapSettings.cfg file from a TomTom PND running the same version of US map as you have installed on your iPhone, and configured with the same SpeedCam POIs and alert preferences.
rw613
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your fast response.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An alternate to needing the PND with a North American map on it is to use the example mapsettings.cfg file in the download and rename your POI files to match the POI file names for the UK Speed Zoned file set - Mike
rw613
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
An alternate to needing the PND with a North American map on it is to use the example mapsettings.cfg file in the download and rename your POI files to match the POI file names for the UK Speed Zoned file set - Mike

This method worked perfectly ;-)

Thanks very much.
rw613
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to create your own mapsettings.cfg could it be done from a Windows Moblle version of TomTom?

thanks in advance
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, so long as it had the same map version installed. But, have you considered our iPhone app instead? A whole lot less messing about!
MrGumby
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just spent a happy few hours reading my way through this thread, making notes and paying silent tribute to Mike.

Just one question, before I buy TT for iPhone 4:

Presumably it doesn't matter, for the purpose of pgpsw speed cams, whether I choose UK & Ireland or Western Europe maps?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The same mapsettings.cfg file will work with any TomTom v1,6 app for iPhone.

Please note this POI warning that we are using is an unofficial feature that TomTom could disable at a future point via an upgrade, it worked for 1,5 and 1,6 so I doubt it will be removed but you never know - Mike
MrGumby
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
But, have you considered our iPhone app instead? A whole lot less messing about!

I've been using CamerAlert (with NavFree, just for the purpose of evaluating CamerAlert with a nav app) and it's great but I see two disadvantages vs. speed cams in TT. Please correct me if I'm missing something:

1. If I want to see cameras on maps, I have to use my data plan. With Map/Show/Near_cam set, to reduce data plan usage, I've usually gone past the camera before the map appears. With speed cams in TT, I can always see where they are without downloading any data.

2. In any case, with CamerAlert running in the background, I don't get to see its maps. Nor do I see the average speed read-out.

So the benefits of CamerAlert (in the background) vs. cameras in TT are simplicity of installation and directional cameras?

(This is not to knock CamerAlert which is an excellent app, I just want to check that I've got my facts right).
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrGumby wrote:
1. If I want to see cameras on maps, I have to use my data plan.

Correct.
Quote:
2. In any case, with CamerAlert running in the background, I don't get to see its maps. Nor do I see the average speed read-out.

Also correct.

These are limitations of iOS rather than CamerAlert. We are not able to force it to pop-over or use a banner as we can in the Android version.

But, for me, ease of install is key and, excellent as the hack is, it's just too much effort for me!
Da_Matser
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:21 pm    Post subject: Additional Generic Warnings within mapsettings.cfg file Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:

Hi Mike (Darren),

I followed your link from tomtomforums, read this thread from beginning to end and duly subscribed to the camera POIs. Works like a dream. Thank you soooo much! Very Happy

But, one additional feature that would unlock the true potential of this awesome workaround - adding even more value to this solution (and it seems like a natural progression of this thread) - is to include some (say, 3-5) generic warning sets; e.g. User1, User2, etc.

I have a library of custom POI sets, that I have built up over the years and would like to port over from TomTom Navigator 5. Obviously, the v860 maps are not available for this and so I would need to purchase another TomTom product that is upgradable to v860 and has the warning feature, just to configure a mapsettings.cfg file.

I have ogg voice alerts from my two sons when they were little. I had to coach the youngest syllable-by-syllable to say "Shell Petrol Station" and "Subway" - he sounds so sweet!

So, Mike, if you could please find the time to add a few generic warnings (say @300m distance or even a mix), then we could just rename our sets accordingly. Obviously, there's a bit of work on the bmp's disguised as png's - particularly as I have an iPhone 4 - but it won't cost owt. Incidentally, what's your latest recommendation regarding the sizes?

On a commercial point Idea, I would make the mapsettings.cfg file accessible to members only.

Finally, now I'm in 'TomTom for iPhone' world, what's the easiest way of adding/deleting POI positions to each category; POIEdit? That said, would this also allow me to generate the mapsettings.cfg file? Wishful thinking, I suspect.

The only other way would be to sacrifice some of the camera categories, which seems such a shame and is a bit of a gamble.

Anyway, sorry to wang on, and if nothing else develops, then a big thank you for getting me this far. Smile

Matt
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good ideas but as far as PocketGPS is concerned, this is an unsupported hack and we can't justify expending time on it.

Nothing to stop others and we'll be happy to host but, given TomTom could pull the plug on this at the next release, our only supported platform remains CamerAlert.

For those who are happy to do the work necessary to have it working in TomTom, great, but until such time as TomTom affirm it will be a supported solution going forwards, we can't invest time in creating specific packages for it.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Additional Generic Warnings within mapsettings.cfg file Reply with quote

Da_Matser wrote:
So, Mike, if you could please find the time to add a few generic warnings (say @300m distance or even a mix), then we could just rename our sets accordingly..

Carrying out something like this would be rather time consuming, perhaps you could send me an e-mail with the ov2, bmp and ogg files attached and I will see what I can do this weekend. To be honest I still haven't worked out what the limit is for custom POI files on the iPhone app, some PND units can take 169 categories others 255 and the really new PND's can't accept any at the moment!

Da_Matser wrote:
POIEdit? That said, would this also allow me to generate the mapsettings.cfg file? Wishful thinking, I suspect.

AFAIK POIEdit won't save the mapsettings.cfg file in the correct format for the iPhone app, it also isn't possible to use POI Edit to add the binary code needed to trigger the warnings - Mike
nightflier
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:01 pm    Post subject: iphone mapsettings.cfg Reply with quote

I installed the mapsettings.cfg on my iphone as described on the website. Now I have the correct settings for the UK. Where can I find a mapsettings.cfg for the UK and EUR ? In live in Belgium so I need EUR also. Any idea ?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 40, 41, 42  Next
Page 10 of 42

Jump to: