Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - A14 SPECS Rollout as Police admit Speedcams cause Accidents
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

A14 SPECS Rollout as Police admit Speedcams cause Accidents
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guivre46 wrote:
exportman wrote:
I agree that you can judge your speed, but it was much easier in A Morris Minor or a Ford pop.

Ford Pop; now that was a car. Two foot gear lever, 3 forward gears, no heater - any speed felt like 70mph.
Mine was the sit up and beg model. Nieces wallpapered the outside of it and when the prop shaft broke, it needed a hammer and chisel to get the paint off the nuts and bolts - paint thicker than the metal on modern cars!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Fellwalker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

exportman wrote:

There are a few older people out here who remember when the sign that now denotes the national speed limit meant the end of speed limits.

Which is what I meant.
exportman wrote:

A modern car is quite smooth no wind noise fast acceleration it is more difficult to keep to the speed you would like to drive at.

I want one without wind noise please.
exportman wrote:

Still I bet Fellwalker subscribes to the speed camera database. Smile

Early on I reported three new cameras and got a lifetime subscription, but I do not have the PGPSW database (or any other) on my satnav. I used to but got so fed up of the constant warnings when I was within the speed limit that I took it off.
exportman wrote:

On the static cameras. I agree there are a serious number of driver who brake when they see a camera no matter what speed they are doing, even if they are well within the limit. I often pass 50 mph cameras on the A556 between the M6 and M56 at busy time you are lucky to be doing 40 yet drivers still comfort brake before the cameras.
Damned annoying isn't it.
DennisN wrote:
So Fellwalker and I need for loads of speed cameras to get all the rest of you off the road. Police

Now there's a thought. Can we also remove the tailgaters, those that cut in too quickly after overtaking, and those that stop a car's length short of a traffic light (they aren't even on the embedded sensor, so it cannot know they are there). Twisted Evil
Guivre46 wrote:

Ford Pop; now that was a car. Two foot gear lever, 3 forward gears, no heater - any speed felt like 70mph.

And don't forget the windscreen wipers operating off the vacuum so that they stopped when you accelerated. My Ford Pop used almost as much oil as petrol above 50mph.
Samsung Galaxy Note 9, Nexus 5, Galaxy tab S3. Also use OSMAnd+, Sygic Mobile Maps, and OS maps app. Also "Great Britain Topo Maps" and "Old Maps". Don't use speed camera database as sticking to the limit is safer.
exportman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fellwalker wrote:

And don't forget the windscreen wipers operating off the vacuum so that they stopped when you accelerated. My Ford Pop used almost as much oil as petrol above 50mph.

My Gran had one with vacuum assisted brakes operated through a leaver on the steering wheel ( she was a little disabled).

Drove the Pop when I was 14 ( not on the road of course) first car to drive on the road was my mums Ford Anglia. First car I owned was a 1960 Morris Minor. It was almost as old as me.

I ride a motor bike most days, comparatively cars today have little or no wind noise. Certainly at city speeds there is no discernible noise in my Mondeo even at seventy is not bad. There is tyre noise but it is not that intrusive. Turn on the radio and you have only visual indicators of your speed. ( and how many cars you pass / pass you I guess)
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Skippy wrote:
Cameras won't take a photo unless your speed is constant....
Where does that particular piece of urban myth come from Shocked

The cameras take a number of readings and if the speed is changing rapidly then it won't trigger because it's not sure it has an accurate reading. Wink
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fellwalker wrote:

Right, it munched piston rings. Needed to replace them nearly every year - still have some scars.
Kia In-dash Tomtom
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
The cameras take a number of readings and if the speed is changing rapidly then it won't trigger because it's not sure it has an accurate reading. Wink
Presumably you are talking about laser hand helds. Fixed cams mostly use doppler CW radar to take continuous readings. Confused I wonder how much you can alter your speed by in 300msec without standing your bike on its front wheel. Shocked BTW I did notice your wink
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And nobody mentioned the sore thumbs from the starting handle Kickback. and my first was a Standard 12 or was it a 14 with kickboards for the passengers in sunny weather, you had to put your hand out the window to scrape the windscreen outside in the winter aswell as the inside and bank the pillar to make the old semaphores work, Oh happy days.even if thier was cameras you didnt have time to look for them.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Skippy wrote:
Presumably you are talking about laser hand helds. Fixed cams mostly use doppler CW radar to take continuous readings.

I tend to agree with M8TJT... I don't think a standard Gatso is that clever!

Also, I used to regularly see a biker who (just for a giggle) would go from a standing start at the traffic lights on the north side of Chiswick Bridge in London and then accelerate past the camera on the other side of the road, causing it to falsely trigger and flash the cars going past it on the right side.

The only time I ever got done by a camera (through sheer inattention), I was accelerating....
tomcat76
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
SPECS is still something of a mystery. How many of the cameras are active at any one time is unknown and from conversations with the manufacturers, it appears that they are rarely all active and in some roadworks installs, not even connected!

Ah ha.... so that's why when I come down the M1 approaching Luton and you have that 15mile section of roadworks I am plodding along at a steady 50 and I get trucks wizzing past me and even faster are the car's... maybe they know which ones are not working, or are they in for a shock when they get their ticket... Smile
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed. I discussed this with a taxi driver who was taking me to Heathrow a while back. His company do a large number of airport transfers and he claimed the M3 SPECS had never resulted in a ticket. He was quite happy to drive through them at 70.

His comments were what prompted me to quiz the company at a trade show we went to and they as good as said they were rarely all configured or active. Of course I wouldn't expect them to admit that entire sections were inactive but when roadworks move along a motorway it's not hard to imagine that the SPECS setup may not always be configured or even powered Confused
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely that's true of any fixed camera Darren - that it may or may not be active, irrespective of type?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spook51 wrote:
Surely that's true of any fixed camera Darren - that it may or may not be active, irrespective of type?

Not at all. Yes the old wet film GATSO's may not have a film in them but you can be darn sure they are set-up to work and wired for power. Same applies to all the other fixed camera types. The digital ones are always live.

The point being here that it was intimated that some of the road-works SPECS were not connected to anything, no data hook up, no power, nothing and were there only to serve as a warning.
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see what you mean. That could certainly be true of the Cat & Fiddle SPECS as discussed elsewhere - thanks for the clarification.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone got a camera with a night vision setting?
At least we could find out if the IR illuminators were switched on.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Anyone got a camera with a night vision setting?
At least we could find out if the IR illuminators were switched on.

Worth a try, I've got a camera with night-shot mode using IR, will check.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: