Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - WAZE - Driver generated mapping, traffic and navigation
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

WAZE - Driver generated mapping, traffic and navigation
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave2084
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waze will get better, some time over the next few months they plan to upload "basemaps" which should be a full grid of UK roads which will no doubt need some tweaking but will go a long way to making it usable.

I will add though that this update has long been promised but has been delayed several times.

Despite being an avid Wazer I do not recommend Waze for navigation to friends yet as it still needs to grow to be useful. But if you've got a smartphone in your car why not run it in the background, the more users it has the better it will get!
Tatsfield
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this is really originally an Israeli development it would make sense. If you've driven in Israel and have tried to use a local sat nav, you would realise that they build new roads quicker than they ever map them and this makes sat nav use an approximate art rather than an exact science! The Pac Man approach to DIY mapping is a very Israeli can-do approach from which I suppose sat nav suppliers can update their local maps cheaply.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The issue I have with Waze, and I confess I hadn't appreciated it before, is the ownership of the data. Any work done on map data for OSM benefits everyone and there are many applications that use that data.

Waze map data is proprietary.

Also find the editor whilst simple is not very flexible and my local area manager doesn't appear to be very active, lots of errors awaiting approval.
scarymonkey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Also find the editor whilst simple is not very flexible and my local area manager doesn't appear to be very active, lots of errors awaiting approval.

They have promised to provide map data FOC for end users using their own product but plan on making money by charging other businesses to use to data in their products.

Also if your area manager is not pro-active you can always apply to become one yourself - just be careful the area you ask for as I wanted Worcestershire and South Warks but ended up with Worcestershire in the South and Staffordshire in the North.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: WAZE - Driver generated mapping, traffic and navigation Reply with quote

News Team wrote:
The only downside is that, unlike OpenStreetMap, the data collated in WAZE is not open source and so is not made available to others to use.

It's too bad that they can't find a business model that lets them join forces with OpenStreetmap and generate revenue through value added services rather than remapping the streets into a format which will just end up as another non-free street map which is of little use and distributed under a non-free license that they can change at a whim.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scarymonkey wrote:
They have promised to provide map data FOC for end users using their own product but plan on making money by charging other businesses to use to data in their products.

With due respect, a promise to license the maps "free of charge to end users" is a promise to provide a license that they can withdraw at any time. Confused
Holdfast
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave2084 wrote:
Waze will get better, some time over the next few months they plan to upload "basemaps" which should be a full grid of UK roads which will no doubt need some tweaking but will go a long way to making it usable.

I will add though that this update has long been promised but has been delayed several times.

Despite being an avid Wazer I do not recommend Waze for navigation to friends yet as it still needs to grow to be useful. But if you've got a smartphone in your car why not run it in the background, the more users it has the better it will get!

Yes Dave I agree, I also run Waze on my Blackberry(Waze Beta Version) in the background. I do find it useful on occasions as I can edit my tracks on locations I may have to re-visit in the future such as Farms,new estates etc, I have tried updating thro Mapshare on TomTom and still waiting after more than 5 years for maps to catch up.

Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Version 3.1.1.0 of Waze is now available and in my area (which is not far from Darren) the maps still need a lot of updating. I have started sorting some of the roads online and the editor is very good, much easier to use than the OSM one.

I have used it for some local navigation and it was OK but I wouldn't rely on it. Some road junctions result in too many instructions because they have been mapped as two T junctions rather than a X.

As Darren has said much depends on how active the local manager is but it is always possible to volunteer Rolling Eyes

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: