Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GO 750 LIVE - first impressions and a few questions
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GO 750 LIVE - first impressions and a few questions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BodgerBaz
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:40 am    Post subject: GO 750 LIVE - first impressions and a few questions Reply with quote

Having had a GO 510 die on me I replaced it with a GO 750 LIVE mainly due to newer models having less features. It looks a nice machine with a smashing wide screen and I'm getting to grips with the slightly different menus.

I went for the 750 as opposed to the 550 as we often travel through western Europe but was disappointed to see that it came with the Europe_2GB map. This was upgraded to the latest 8.55 version as promised by TomTom under their 30 day new map rule.

The first thing I did before I did anything else was to back it up to my PC. I then updated the map and installed a newer version of the operating system.

Now for the questions

1. I was under the impression that the 'nnnn_2GB' maps had much less detail on them so they would fit on to a standard SD card. If that is true, should I get the 'full' Western Europe map to get all the details?

2. The 8.55 version of the Western Europe map appears to be 1898.5 MB so should I replace the original 2GB map folder or stick the new map on to a Micro SD card?

3. There is 2GB of flash memory and a MicroSD slot. Their web site says they support up to a 4GB MicroSD card but mentions that you should get a fastest card as possible. That would be a MicroSDHC card then? Would a 4GB MicroSDHC class 6 card work or would I need to get a slower none SDHC card?

4. I'm assuming that I still copy my POIs and PocketGPSWorld speed cameras and voices to the '2GB' map folder as before ?

5. As I'll be using the PocketGPSWorld speed cams I assume it'll be OK to delete all the 'radar', 'speed cams' and 'blitzer' POIs?

6. Is it OK to delete all the 'Cspeech' files in other languages?

7. I've just noticed that when I upgraded to the newer version of the map I was offered map zones! As it's unlikely for me to visit anything other than Western Europe I've selected that and the map folder has been renamed to 'Europe_West' which only takes up 1.21 GB including all the unwanted TomTom speed cams. Presumably if I select all zones it'll pretty well fill up most of the flash memory?

. . . . . and finally

8. If I do get a new, more detailed, map it looks as though it'll need to go on to the microSD card as it's probably too big to fit into flash memory by the time I add all my other POIs, speed cams and itineraries? Will it default to flash memory or can I set it to always use the microSD card?

I'm sorry this has been such a novel to read and I thank you for getting to this point Wink

Any advice would be swell.

Barry
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The newer maps are more detailed than the pre 850 ones but they are now "Zoned" to fit on the 2Gb units. You'll be offered the chance to download one zone which will install to the unit replacing the current map folder. If you load a 4 Gb card and attempt to update the maps you'll be given the option of a fifth map which is the whole map. I believe its about 2 Gb but still too big for the 2 Gb units. The card you mention should be ok. If you load a zone and then want to use another one you'll need to stop and download the new zone before continuing. I've just loaded the Western Zone. The zones have the same amount of detail as the full Europe map but just cover smaller areas.

Whatever you do there will be loads of room for the POIs and speed CS which still go in whichever map folder you are using. The Western Zone is about 1.2 Gb IIRC

Yes you can delete the TT cams but I'm not sure about the cspeech files. Neve done it myself but if you have it probably ok to do.
BodgerBaz
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for the quick and precise answers Paul. Much appreciated.

Barry
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem. Just to answer a question I missed....

The way I would switch to the SD card is to copy the contents of the unit to the card with a card reader. Insert the card and then start the unit. The unit will always choose the card first when one is inserted. Then update with Home. When Home starts it'll ask which memory you want to you use. Select the Memory Card to proceed.
BodgerBaz
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, that seems to make sense. Many thanks again.

B.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those cspeech files are not files in other languages but, rather files so you can use Voice Recognition in other countries.

So, for example, if there is one called cspeech_GER.dat and you never plan to drive in Germany and use VR there, then you can remove that file.

But back them up on your computer using Explorer, don't just delete them.
BodgerBaz
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip David.

I've since changed zone maps from Western Europe to Northern Europe as it covers Germany - somewhere we go to regularly. The folder now says 'Europe_North' and not only did it replace the cspeech files I had deleted but it also kept all my speed cams and POIs.

Phew, although I'd backed them up I didn't fancy copying them back again Wink

Interesting what you say about those cspeech files David. I had assumed they were just different language files but I'll keep them this time as there appears to quite a lot of space felt in flash memory.

Kind regards

Barry
Wazza_G
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just remember that you'll need LOADS of patience, it took me god knows how many hours to get it to work correctly it's a right royal P.I.T.A.
BodgerBaz
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure I follow you. Which bit are you referring to?

I've used my GO510 almost daily for last 4 years (ish) and use the itinerary planning a lot to visit my custom POIs. I've now setup the GO750 and everything looks good and ready to go.

Barry
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must admit, I was wondering too.
Wazza_G
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I tried to transfer all of the contents of the unit to a 4 or 8Gb card all it kept on coming up with was error after error.

I wish I'd never bought the bloody thing. Evil or Very Mad
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of errors and how were you trying to do the transfer (Explorer I hope). And, I assume you meant sdhc card, not sd card.
Wazza_G
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried using Explorer & direct copying and it just kept coming up with errors about invalid certificates/licences and other bull...

Yes they were both MiSDHC cards.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes, that kind of error occurs if the application detects the map is a hacked version.

Let's assume that is NOT the case here.......

Look in the specific map folder with Explorer and see if you have a file with an extension of meta.dct there.

Make sure you have Windows set NOT to hide extensions for known file types. (Control Panel--Folder Options--View--Advanced--UNCHECK 'Hide Extensions for known file types)
Wazza_G
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh it's done now. Just I think the TT750 sucks, the mapping is particularly poor.

Trying to get the Live services to work properly is also a nightmare, that's why it mostly sits on the shelf whilst I use the old man's Garmin.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: