Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Polarity Converter
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Polarity Converter
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 12:21 pm    Post subject: Polarity Converter Reply with quote

One of my cars is a 1954 Riley with positive earth. I'm heading off to Le Mans in it next week and would like to use my GPS (Haicom 204S + Axim X3i and TTN3). Any idea where I can obtain a polarity converter to provide a negative earth supply to a cigarette socket?
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst I'm no expert on positive earth vehicles, so long as your Riley is 12V, can anyone see any problems if you wire an insulated cigarette lighter socket (available from Maplin for around a pound) with the centre positive and the outside negative?

The only thing that comes to mind is that in a positive earth vehicle, you probably want to fuse the negative line rather than the positive (3A is likely more than enough).

Only one thing - don't hold me responsible if you blow your system up.

David
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wondered about that but hoped to hear from someone who has actually done it. I don't really want to risk frying a few hundred quids worth of PDA and GPS kit, not to mention the car which still has its original wiring.
Thanks for the suggestion however I think for this trip I might rely on my wife's navigation - probably end up in Poland.....
Scott
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidW wrote:
Whilst I'm no expert on positive earth vehicles, so long as your Riley is 12V, can anyone see any problems if you wire an insulated cigarette lighter socket (available from Maplin for around a pound) with the centre positive and the outside negative?

David

You'll get a nasty short condition if any exposed 'earth' connections on the PDA/GPS come into contact with the car chassis.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst I'm not familiar with the hardware the original poster has, most Pocket PCs, even if they look metallic, are in a plastic case.

If so, I don't think there'll be a problem - but I can't guarantee it.

David
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no auto-electrician but wiring a cig lighter socket into a positive earth vehicle should not be a problem and work fine. Simply put the positive wire to any metal point and take a negative from the nearest available point (as you would a positive on normal vehicles)
You should always fuse the live feed and never the earth.
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we have some agreement on this - that so long as you remember to fuse the negative (not the positive as you would on a negative earth vehicle), you should be fine - assuming that the Riley's electrics are 12V and not excessively noisy.

David
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we know what we are saying David but the wording makes it look confusing. Confused

Perhaps change the word 'earth' at the end of my last post to 'negative' then delete this sentence. (it will give you some more editing practice at least Smile )
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your deliberations however I think a PDA and GPS are a bit too expensive too risk so I've decided to opt for a less reliable method of navigation - wife + road atlas... CoPilot
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why not wire the lighter straight off the battery pos to pos neg to neg the would give a negative earth

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

icsys wrote:
I think we know what we are saying David but the wording makes it look confusing. Confused

Perhaps change the word 'earth' at the end of my last post to 'negative' then delete this sentence. (it will give you some more editing practice at least Smile )

I could do it that way - then someone will come along and read that instruction as being valid in a negative earth vehicle. I think it's clear enough as it stands, now.

The point is - you fuse the feed, not the earth. In a negative earth vehicle, the fuse goes in the positive line. In a positive earth vehicle, the fuse goes in the negative line. If you're paranoid, you could fuse both (some Nokia phone wiring looms are shown as being wired this way - possibly because they may be installed on a 12V supply from an isolated convertor on a 24V vehicle, where neither negative nor positive is earth).

David
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidW wrote:
The point is - you fuse the feed, not the earth. In a negative earth vehicle, the fuse goes in the positive line. In a positive earth vehicle, the fuse goes in the negative line.

This is exactly my point about the word 'earth' David,
You fuse the feed (+ve), not the earth. In a negative earth vehicle, the fuse goes in the positive line. In a positive earth vehicle, the fuse goes in the earth line because it will be positive and is providing the feed.

Pwhew Confused I think we should call it a day on this one now.
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

icsys wrote:

You fuse the feed (+ve), not the earth. In a negative earth vehicle, the fuse goes in the positive line. In a positive earth vehicle, the fuse goes in the earth line because it will be positive and is providing the feed.

I disagree with the above, the fuse should always go in the line that is not earthed to the body of the car.

The logic behind this is that if the non earthed wire touches the earthed body, the fuse blows.

If you fuse the earthed supply to a device and the non earthed feed touches any part of the earthed body there is no protection, the current will just flow back through the earthed body and not through the earthed fuse.

If a supply is floating you may need to fuse both supply leads.

A wire fuse does not care which direction a current flows through it.
dastardly
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
I disagree with the above, the fuse should always go in the line that is not earthed to the body of the car.

Absolutely, that's the heart of the issue Thumbs Up .... and so on a positive earth car, you still fuse the 'live' feed (It just happens to be negative because the battery terminals are reversed compared to modern cars).

So far no worries, just remember that when you connect up your PPC - Positive goes to chassis and negative goes to live.

In all honesty though if it was me, I'd get hold of a 12v 6Ah rechageable jelly cell - they're pretty cheap, and then I wouldn't have to rely on 1954 car electrics: ie, dynamo & voltage regulator (no disrespect meant to the lovely car) Wink
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phew! That opened a can of worms - ever wish you'd never asked the question?
Thanks for all your responses. The car has a new battery and I fitted new brushes in the dynamo yesterday. Other than a recent coil, distributor and HT leads all of the rest of the electrical system is fifty years old - hence my desire not to take any chances.
I've shelved the idea for now but may try it later. Fortunately we are travelling to Le Mans in a group so I don't have to rely entirely on my wife's navigating.
CoPilot

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: