Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Dead TomTom GO???
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Dead TomTom GO???
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
elzar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:19 pm    Post subject: Dead TomTom GO??? Reply with quote

I have an old TomTom GO that I got from a friend a few months ago. I already asked a bunch of questions about it and you guyz really helped me out learn how to work it and upgrade it to latest software.

But now I think it is "Dead". As in "deceased". As in NOT "pining for the fjords" (sorry, Monty Python joke).

I had not used it in a few weeks. Hooked it up to power in the house and created a new favorite and setup a "Navigate To". Everything looked fine. It was low on juice so I left it charging, but powered it off.

Here's where things went crazy. All by itself it turned itself on and started speaking, like it was starting the route, I heard what sounded like somebody talking in my kitchen so I ran in expecting to catch some one breaking in, but it was TomTom talking. I powered it off again, went into another room, but heard the talking again. Went back to kitchen and TomTom had turned himself on again and was saying "and the end of the road turn left". Guess she was really eager to go for a drive???

Turned it off manually yet again, still left it powered off, but this time stayed in the room to watch it. Within a few seconds it powered itself back on and once again & started talking. At this point I tried pulling the plug then attaching it again; it still carried on with the same behavior (if I powered it off but let it plugged in it tried to start on some mystical journey).

At that point I removed the memory card. Left it plugged in to charge up. Several hours later took it to my car to guide me where I needed to go. But it would not power on, even if plugged into ciggy lighter.

Trying more at home, I cannot get it to power on at all under any scenarios, with or without memory card. The most I can get out of it is that the green power light stays on solid if it is plugged in - but it will not power on.

Even tried removing card and holding power button in to get the stats page but that won't come up either.

Is there something else I should try or look at? Does this mean it is broken, and if so can it be repaired (or is that not worth the expense)? Or could this have something to do with its rechargeable battery that I could look into???

Any help appreciated, thanks!
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you didn't say what GO model it is but I think all have a dedicated reset button in the bottom. If so, have you tried a reset with a paper clip?
elzar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhn wrote:
you didn't say what GO model it is but I think all have a dedicated reset button in the bottom. If so, have you tried a reset with a paper clip?

Wow!! FANTASTIC!!! THAT FIXED IT!!!! Somehow I have to try to remember this....

And I don't know an actual model number, it says it is a "GO" at the bootup status screen. It also has numbers 4D00.001 on the bottom. I think it was the first (or one of the first) models, just called "GO". Thinking more maybe people refer to it as a "GO Classic" these days, since it is prehistoric.
elzar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, in my excitement at seeing the TT come back to life I forgot to say a big THANKS!!!!
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are most welcome! Laughing

Nice to hear good news for a change........
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

elzar wrote:
It also has numbers 4D00.001 on the bottom. I think it was the first (or one of the first) models, just called "GO".

Correct! A 4D00.001 was the original "Go", now referred to by most people as the "Go Classic".

Hope you've got it all backed up to your PC too?
elzar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
elzar wrote:
It also has numbers 4D00.001 on the bottom. I think it was the first (or one of the first) models, just called "GO".

Correct! A 4D00.001 was the original "Go", now referred to by most people as the "Go Classic".

Hope you've got it all backed up to your PC too?

Yup! Figured I should make a backup of the card while I was at it ;-)

If the unit had died, would I have been able to use any of the data on the card (my favorites for example) on any newer models?
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See this link by Mikealder for a method to make Favourites more convenient to transfer from map to map.
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original GO came with a back-up CD in the box! Smile
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
Kenwood DNX-4210DAB with Garmin maps
elzar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resurrecting this thread - my TT had come back from the dead thanks to the advice up here but it is now dead again, and not responding to anything.

The paperclip reset trick does nothing.

Plugged in the green light comes on but that is about it.

Is there something I can look it to debug it further, to see if it is even (easily) fixable? Could the battery it comes with just be unchargeable and if so is that replaceable??

Thanks for any clues.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elzar wrote:

Plugged in the green light comes on but that is about it.

Is there a possibility that someone plugged the WRONG charger into it?
If you put 12 Volts up the power input rather then the 5 Volts it is expecting, it is instant death and you end up with just the green light left working.

This can also happen if the proper charger goes faulty, and I'm afraid it was a known problem with some of the chargers supplied with those early models!
Do you have access to a DC voltmeter, so you could check the voltage coming out of the charger? Again, it should be 5 Volts, not 12 Volts.

Also, have a sniff near the power socket for any burning smell.

Batteries are replaceable if you are fairly competent at electronics, but it's not worth doing if the charging circuit has been burnt out.
elzar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I don't actually have the home charger per se for it. And it's never been plugged into a wrong one but must be fried a different way.

To charge it at home I've been using a simple converter for charging it in the house with the car attachment (I think that was discussed in a different thread when I first got this, asking about how to charge it). That had been working fine.

Actually the circumstances of it dying this time may shed more light on this. Similar to what I wrote to start this thread I had not used it for a long time.

I charged it up at home and it seemed fine. Loaded up a route into it for where I was going. It was working AOK. I checked the battery level and it was fine.

Took it out to the car, and hooked the power up to the ciggie lighter. Started up the car and tried to turn on the TT to begin my trip but it would not power on. Only got the green light. Tried unplugging the power to run on the battery, still would not turn on, despite working fine on the battery just minutes before. Removed the memory card. Still would not turn on. Tried the poweron test thing that shows the battery level (which checked out fine before I left the house) but that would not come up. Tried the paper clip reset switch with no luck. Was running late so gave up and went on my trip. Tired futzing with it at home a few days later and can't get any life out of it.

So it died just from powering up via the car I guess.
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the battery has totally died Crying or Very sad
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the car charger is still giving out 5V not 12V, it would be worth getting the battery replaced, but I would check that first, before spending any money.
elzar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there any recommended threads, or websites, where I can investigate where to get a new battery, how much they cost, how to replace the old one?

I did some quick searching around & it seems like the info out there is for newer TT's, not my old one with no model number (a "classic"). Or if anyone has ever looked into this for an old Classic, is it just not even worth wasting time on? I figure if it is more than $30 it probably isn't worth it.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: