Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
Read the current newsletter! Weekly
Newsletter
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom CTO - GO 1000 Will Support Custom POIs Next Year
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom CTO - GO 1000 Will Support Custom POIs Next Year
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Darren
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff


Joined: 11/07/2002 14:36:40
Posts: 23846
Location: Hampshire, UK

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair, you could argue that, with Google Local Search, you could.
_________________
Darren Griffin - Editor
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man


Joined: Feb 27, 2006
Posts: 14617
Location: Keynsham

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Darren, to be fair you could also argue that you could dispense with a satnav using Google Maps. I actually did it once, but only over a distance of about a mile and I don't fancy trying it for serious. Alternatives are one thing, conveniently practical is entirely different.
_________________
Dennis

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DeLorean
Lifetime Member


Joined: Feb 27, 2006
Posts: 301
Location: Basingstoke UK

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lsainsbury wrote:
DeLorean wrote:


Hear, hear....

I spend quite a bit of time travelling from the UK to Eastern & Central Europe and use heaps of POI proximity warnings for all sorts of things not just speed cameras.

For example....

Slovakia:
Speed breakers
Dangerous turns
Road congestion
Dangerous railway crossings
Dangerous roads

Poland:
Dangerous railway crossings
Potholes
Road congestion
Accident black spots
Dangerous sections

All make for a safer travelling and less chance of a buckled wheel rim Laughing


I was think more along the lines of POIs for stores like Asda, Tesco, B&Q and hotels like Premier Inn etc.

My TomTom 1000 (if I had one) would not be able to navigate to any of those.


You'll probably still be able to download those sorts of POIís through TomTom Home (which you can do now).

Its POI alerts which are the main issue here e.g. speed camera warnings etc.
_________________
>> Currently using a TomTom Go 910, 710, TomTom for Android & Trumpion TR-G1 <<


Last edited by DeLorean on Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:43 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator


Joined: Jun 04, 2005
Posts: 19991
Location: West and Southwest London

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
To be fair, you could argue that, with Google Local Search, you could.


Only if you've bought the "LIVE" enabled model,
AND you've decided to keep up with the LIVE subscriptions,
AND you are in a good signal area,
AND the TT servers haven't crashed again!

I love Google search, but there have already been MANYY times when I've relied on it and been stuck when the service has not been there for whatever reason.
DeLorean wrote:

You'll probably still be able to download those sorts of POIís through TomTom Home (which you can do now).


Well you can't (or shouldn't be able to) download the PGPSW ones from Home.
I tend to trust those much more than most other sources, as they have been usually been individually submitted and checked by the members here (sometimes me!), so are far more accurate than others I've tried.

Often, even a company's own database of their shops or branches only uses postcode look-up to determine the locations, and can therefore be quite inaccurate, whereas the ones from here will take you to the door or car park entrance, whichever is most helpful.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mikexgough
Lifetime Member


Joined: Mar 29, 2010
Posts: 7
Location: Cambridgeshire

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the time my current TomTom needs replacing......I will be looking elsewhere..... Nice to have had a lot of 3rd party choice etc......but the routing leaves a lot to be desired and Live is just not worth the money for me.....If they "block" 3rd party POI then they are biting off the hand that feeds ......the consumer will chose another system that is less restrictive...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
DeLorean
Lifetime Member


Joined: Feb 27, 2006
Posts: 301
Location: Basingstoke UK

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've deleted my original post as I was barking up the wrong tree and talking complete cobblers Embarassed
_________________
>> Currently using a TomTom Go 910, 710, TomTom for Android & Trumpion TR-G1 <<


Last edited by DeLorean on Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tedkay
Regular Visitor


Joined: 23/10/2002 02:45:38
Posts: 223
Location: United Kingdom - Ringwood Hants

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:55 am    Post subject: TT on suicide mission ?? Reply with quote

The mindset behind TTs' decision to drop 3rd party POI support is hard to fathom. At a time when their sales are falling due to free satnav on mobile phones and built-in satnav in so many cars, they do something that makes their latest devices infintely less buyable !

I've more or less given up on them now anyway:
    Live services on my GO 950 have become so unreliable that I don't bother to try and use them any more;
    They promote their map upgrade service but won't let you move the suscription to a new device (how's that for a sure way of limiting sales of their new devices !)
    The build quality of their stuff has gone down and down (I'm on my 2nd replacement 950 now)

I use my HTC Desire and Google Maps more and more now - the driving directions are good and you don't have to pay extra to get updated maps because Google Maps are updated constantly for free so with a genuine 'Unlimited' internet with my Vodafone account it doesn't cost me a penny.

So do your worst TT, you will find your customers deserting you in droves...
_________________
TED

"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator


Joined: Mar 15, 2006
Posts: 3210
Location: Windlesham, Surrey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeLorean, presumably you're referring to the speed cameras, which Andy didn't mention. He was referring to the PGPSW POIs, which include shops etc!
_________________
Anita
TomTom VIA 135 - App 12.075, Europe map 1035.9733
Samsung Galaxy S8
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tomo
Lifetime Member


Joined: May 17, 2004
Posts: 212
Location: Fife Scotland

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: TT on suicide mission ?? Reply with quote

tedkay wrote:

I use my HTC Desire and Google Maps more and more now - the driving directions are good and you don't have to pay extra to get updated maps because Google Maps are updated constantly for free so with a genuine 'Unlimited' internet with my Vodafone account it doesn't cost me a penny.



You mean that genuine unlimited internet that has a fair use policy of either 500mb or 1Gb depending on your contract.......

Go see the vodafone sites own forums for info on that one.... in other words be carefull on how much you use!

Steve
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DeLorean
Lifetime Member


Joined: Feb 27, 2006
Posts: 301
Location: Basingstoke UK

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Darren wrote:
To be fair, you could argue that, with Google Local Search, you could.


Only if you've bought the "LIVE" enabled model,
AND you've decided to keep up with the LIVE subscriptions,
AND you are in a good signal area,
AND the TT servers haven't crashed again!

I love Google search, but there have already been MANYY times when I've relied on it and been stuck when the service has not been there for whatever reason.
DeLorean wrote:

You'll probably still be able to download those sorts of POIís through TomTom Home (which you can do now).


Well you can't (or shouldn't be able to) download the PGPSW ones from Home.
I tend to trust those much more than most other sources, as they have been usually been individually submitted and checked by the members here (sometimes me!), so are far more accurate than others I've tried.

Often, even a company's own database of their shops or branches only uses postcode look-up to determine the locations, and can therefore be quite inaccurate, whereas the ones from here will take you to the door or car park entrance, whichever is most helpful.


Oops Embarassed

Please accept my oplogies Andy_P I thought you were refering to the camera database.

I will now go and hang my head in shame & stand in the corner Sad
_________________
>> Currently using a TomTom Go 910, 710, TomTom for Android & Trumpion TR-G1 <<
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tedkay
Regular Visitor


Joined: 23/10/2002 02:45:38
Posts: 223
Location: United Kingdom - Ringwood Hants

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: TT on suicide mission ?? Reply with quote

Tomo wrote:
tedkay wrote:

I use my HTC Desire and Google Maps more and more now - the driving directions are good and you don't have to pay extra to get updated maps because Google Maps are updated constantly for free so with a genuine 'Unlimited' internet with my Vodafone account it doesn't cost me a penny.



You mean that genuine unlimited internet that has a fair use policy of either 500mb or 1Gb depending on your contract.......

Go see the vodafone sites own forums for info on that one.... in other words be carefull on how much you use!

Steve


I know all about the 'Fair Use Policy' but in fact it is possible to get true 'Unlimited' with Vodafone, that's why I used the word 'genuine' ..! I had confirmation from Vfone that I would not be charged extra for my internet use and all my bills so far show 00000 for Internet , and I use it lots every day ....

Anyway even if there was a small charge I would be happy to pay it for the truly updated maps which Google provides, rather than the 3 monthly updates TT charge for.
_________________
TED

"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator


Joined: Jun 04, 2005
Posts: 19991
Location: West and Southwest London

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeLorean wrote:

removed to spare more blushes


DeLorean wrote:

Oops Embarassed

Please accept my oplogies Andy_P I thought you were refering to the camera database.

I will now go and hang my head in shame & stand in the corner Sad


That's OK, mate (Hopefully you haven't read my original reply already, which I'm now editing having seen yours! Laughing )

Now, I'll only mention that we actually prefer people to only
quote the sections of posts that are relevant to the reply as that avoids cluttering the place up with multiple quotes of entire quotes.
People can always refer back to the original if they need more clarification.

Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DeLorean
Lifetime Member


Joined: Feb 27, 2006
Posts: 301
Location: Basingstoke UK

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers & point taken Very Happy
_________________
>> Currently using a TomTom Go 910, 710, TomTom for Android & Trumpion TR-G1 <<
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator


Joined: Jun 04, 2005
Posts: 19991
Location: West and Southwest London

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
technik
Lifetime Member


Joined: Mar 18, 2004
Posts: 765
Location: Midlands UK

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shall not be buying a new TomTom on the promise that POI's will be fixed.

They can't even do map updates properly.
_________________
GO 1000 EU, Tomtom Android EU,
Garmin 2548LMT-D; 2599LMT-D
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message







Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Powered by phpBB 2.0.11 © 2001 phpBB Group
phpBB port v2.1 based on Tom Nitzschner's phpbb2.0.6 upgraded to phpBB 2.0.4 standalone was developed and tested by:
ArtificialIntel, ChatServ, mikem,
sixonetonoffun and Paul Laudanski (aka Zhen-Xjell).

Version 2.1 by Nuke Cops © 2003 http://www.nukecops.com

Make a Donation



CamerAlert Database

Click here for the PocketGPSWorld.com Speed Camera Database

Download Speed Camera Database
17.103 (16 Oct 19)



WORLDWIDE SPEED CAMERA SPOTTERS WANTED!

Click here to submit camera positions to the PocketGPSWorld.com Speed Camera Database


12mth Subscriber memberships awarded every week for verified new camera reports!

Submit Speed Camera Locations Now


CamerAlert Apps



iOS QR Code






Android QR Code







© Terms & Privacy


GPS Shopping