Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom Bluetooth Kit, Docking station or not :(
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom Bluetooth Kit, Docking station or not :(

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rorton
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 2:12 am    Post subject: Tomtom Bluetooth Kit, Docking station or not :( Reply with quote

After all the reading online, i got my heart set on a tomtom bluetooth GPS Receiver.

There is a reveiw link.. http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/tomtombtgps.php, showing the receiver having a docking station for the receiver which is what has sold the whole idea for me Smile

Put the docking station on the back quarter window section (Parcel Shell support) and hard wire into the vehicle. I can then have the receiver permanetly charged, but can undock and use in my girlfriends car, without leaving a load of messy wires hanging in my own car

QUestion is, can you buy just the receiver on its on, and does it come with the docking station? Dont mind if i have to buy a full kit (would prefer not to) as some people are now saying that the receiver no longer ships with the docking station and hard wiring kit.

If this is true, are there any other BT receivers which can be docked and undocked easily and be wired into the vehicles ignition?

Sorry for such a long 1st post
mannyo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I got mine a couple of weeks ago the BT reciever was supplied without the docking station. You now get a cable that you can use to connect to your carkit that supplies power to the reciever, I guess this could be hardwired but not as neat as a docking cradle.
Berisford
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine has to sit in back window too as the front has that sun-screen built in that stops not only the sun but also GPS signals.

Quite a pain having to remember to charge it in the house regularly.

I complained to TomTom about the misleading bumph on the web site, they replied with a load of waffle about 'it's what customers want'!!!!!
a4ace
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have the tomtom bluetooth gps hardwired at the parcel shelf. you can see it here.

when i sent an e-mail to tomtom saying i want to recommend this setup to friends, they said they can supply the required items if users are really keen on hardwiring.
AndyWilson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there anyway I can recharge or power my TT Bluetooth GPS in the car without buying a TT PDA cradle????

I've got a perfectly good cradle - and a perfectly good cig adaptor for the IPaq - so I don't really want to splash out again for those when all I want is to power the GPS!
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just need a (5V) iPAQ car charger and to make sure that the cable has the same size plug to fit into the iPAQ as the TomTom.

http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=IPAQDC without the adaptor should work.
AndyWilson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers - I've got a spare one of those somewhere - it never occured to me that the power socket on the GPS was the same as an old ipaq 36xx socket!

All I need now is a cig lighter doubler....
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's worth mentioning that the TT BT GPS has the same power requirments as any iPAQ.

As long as the 12v charger has the two pole connector rather than the sync connector then it will charge the BT unit fine (this also applies to Emtac BT Units).

As for the BT Cradle, TomTom have to my knowledge supplied a few people with these when they asked so if you desperately want one drop TomTom an email.
pany
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would have to recommend being wary of hardwiring the gps receiver into your car, mine was professionally installed and worked fine for about 5 days. Then it ceased to work, and the BT was undetectable by my 5450, my 3970, my home pc, and two BT enabled phones.

When I spoke to the supplier they immediately issued a rma and sent a new kit, saying they had come across this before. My second receiver has lasted about 2 months and now exhibits also doesnt work with identical symptoms.

I have had the car electrics checked, there are no power spikes on start up etc, the install checked by the original fitter and again by a third party who says everything is fine , and yet i am now in need of my third receiver within 3 months. Evil or Very Mad
Scotes
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I complained to TomTom service here in the US about not receiving a cradle after calling the place I purchased the unit from (Semsons) said to. It took a couple of weeks but they did send it out to me.

I now have the unit hard wired in my trunk under the parcel shelf as well and the greatest thing about the cradle is that it will control power to the unit if it is wired to a switched power source in the car. So when I turn the car on the BT unit will power on and when I turn the car off it will power off. A very handy feature that I don't think any other BT receiver has.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: