Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Satnav for an open top car
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Satnav for an open top car

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alanf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:40 am    Post subject: Satnav for an open top car Reply with quote

I'm looking for a replacement sat nav. The previous one (acer n35 with destinator 6) has done sterling service, been through several mounts, software upgrades, been mounted in a dozen or more hired or borrowed cars and vans on three continents. The battery is now virtually shot, the contacts unreliable and the map out of date so time for retirement.

I'm not currently doing many miles but I am using a variety of vehicles and this includes an open top classic MG. There's no security and no facilities to integrate with, so a stand alone sat nav sems to fit the bill. What I'm looking for is something:

* Compact and slim, fits in a pocket for transport and when dismounted and won't keep turning itself on.
* Bright and clear when used open top in bright sunshine.
* Reasonable volume over background noise without distortion
* Easily dis/remounted, I have been using cheap replacement phone mounts, customised them for dashboard mounting and lost/left a couple in hire cars.
* Robust charging socket for frequent dismounts
* Good initial map coverage and updateable to add other continents
* Fairly cheap since I'm only using it for holidays now, basic functionality over bells and whistles.

Too much to ask for?

Obviously, it needs to be able to use the PGPSW speed camera database with voice alerts which I gather eliminates the latest tomtom ranges. Quick survey of Halfords shows the premium tomtom ranges are big with dedicated mounts. Some of the Garmin nuvi range might be suitable, has anyone tried them in open top and noisy conditions? Or is there some other little gem I havn't seen?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: