Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Premium Safety Cam UK and Safety Cameras UK TomTom offered?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Premium Safety Cam UK and Safety Cameras UK TomTom offered?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:31 am    Post subject: Premium Safety Cam UK and Safety Cameras UK TomTom offered? Reply with quote

Home is now offering me Premium Safety Cam UK and Safety Cameras UK TomTom. Why are both being offered and will they be duplications? Other countries only offer one or the other.

I only like the SPECs cameras from TomTom as they offer an overspeed warning when they appear in the right place.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had this before now.
I get a complete pigs ear of different ones offered for different machines.
For example I get American ones offered for a machine with an old US map, but I don't get them for another machine which has an up-to-date US map and current Live Services.

I'm pretty sure you would get duplications if you downloaded both, I would just shake your head at Home's antics and just select the "premium" ones.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did read awhile back that the Standard version is static cameras and the Premium includes Mobile cameras, How true that is I dont know because never used iether, perhaps others can verify that.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Premium Cameras are mainly in countries that have HD Services, UK, BE, DE, FR, IE, IT, NL & PT, whilst the others are AT, CZ, ES, FI, GR, NO, PL & SE. I wonder if this is to do with the downloading of cameras over Live Services?
theengine
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been looking into this issue since March this year when I got my new 550 Live. My understanding is:

Safety Cameras UK TomTom: Is static cameras only, including SPECS. Specs warn as individual cameras only when you approach them. They can only be updated through home.

Premium Safety Cam UK: Is for Static and Mobile Cameras Only. Differences are:

SPECS. These are regarded as the "whole area". As you drive through the area, you get a constant SPECS flashing icon to warn that you are in a SPECS zone. You only get a audible warning when you pass the first and last camaras. Also, if you exceed the SPECS speed limited, the icon changes to the speed limit and you get a constant audible warning. This works well.

MOBILE. The file has a list of the mobile hotspots, but this is disabled by default. All these locations (files) can only be updated through Home.
Real Time Mobile Locations. Enabled by default, this is a list of real time mobile van locations. The idea is you only get a warning if the van is there. This information is supplied by Road Angel and is updated real time through the Live Service. Trouble is it doesn't work. Since March it has missed umpteen vans that are there, and has warned about two that weren't. A Mobile.ov2 file is downloaded, but is very rarely seen to exist. I have been in touch with TT over this, and they report that this system has not worked properly since inception and that they have no idea when it will be resolved as the issue is outwith their control.

So, I have enables the Hotspot warning and I find the quality of the Premium file to be just the same as the GPS files. (Sorry)

Another issue arose:

Months ago I emailed TT asking why I had 3 entries for Safety Alerts in Live Services - My Services. They didn't know, but somehow deleted 2 of them for me. Since then Home only offered me the non premium file for months. Finally I emailed them to ask why after checking here that others were still being offered the Premium file. They didn't know, but finally granted me another 2 months Live Services on to my annual (free) subscription. When they did this, once again I had 3 Safety Alert entries, and low and behold I got my premium cameras back.

This is all just my view, and I hope it helps.
theengine
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
I've had this before now.
I get a complete pigs ear of different ones offered for different machines.
For example I get American ones offered for a machine with an old US map, but I don't get them for another machine which has an up-to-date US map and current Live Services.

This is due to Home.

I only have the UK & ROI Map and am offered all files for all European areas through Home. To fix, download them all through home. They will all be installed in your map directory. Then delete the "wrong" ones through Manage My Device" in home. You will only then be offered the correct ones thereafter.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as the UK is concerned, 'Premium' means is uses enhanced Road Angel data whereas standard is the pure TomTom data.

Matters little as TomTom's data is dire and somehow (assuming Road Angel's data is normally good), TomTom have managed to screw it up so it's equally poor Confused

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: