Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - help!! tomtom died
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

help!! tomtom died

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tonygold
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:55 am    Post subject: help!! tomtom died Reply with quote

hi all
tomtom one IQ routes europe
picked up hire car in spain last night, plugged tomtom into car charger no probs all working, but then 10 minutes later the unit just goes dead. the neon on the car charger was unlit now.
got to our destination and managed to restart tomtom by holding down power button for 20 mins and it came back to life but.......
it will not even accept a charge from my mains charger. the green neon on the underside doesn't light and the battery caption on screen does not say 'charging'.
any ideas guys as i have only about an hour of battery life left in the unit. is there any hope for my trusty unit??????
thanks in advance
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So TomTom is fine but charger has died?

It sounds like a fuse has gone, either
1. in the charger itself - depending on model it is either a small blade-type fuse in the side of the charger body (it just pulls out) or a glass tubular one underneath the silver end cap (unscrew the black hexagon shaped end piece to get to it)

2. or the car's own fuse for the cigarette lighter socket. Do you have anything else you can plug into it to check if it is still live? Can you find the fuse box and look for a fuse with a pictur of the cigarette lighter or something like "Acc." (for accessory) beside it. Once pulled out, you can usually see visually if it has blown.
tonygold
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure it's that simple as I have also tried plugging the tomtom into a mains charger and still the green neon won't light and the battery symbol does not say it's charging??
Greenglide
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonygold wrote:
I'm not sure it's that simple as I have also tried plugging the tomtom into a mains charger and still the green neon won't light and the battery symbol does not say it's charging??

So it is probably a connector problem on the TT.

Does the unit connect to a PC ok, rather than a mains unit? I assume the One has a mini USB (like the Go x20) rather than the multiple connection on the x40 and later?

There have been postings of the USB connector in the device or the charging circuit failing - neither simple fixes Crying or Very sad
Google Nexus One with Google Maps & NDrive
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would look at the car charger cable causing an over voltage to the device which has fried the charging circuit in the device (not unheard of) - Is the unit still under warranty, if it is get it replaced, if not try giving them a ring on 0845 161 0009 as this is a known issue - Mike
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You were of course using the official TT charging cable supplied with the device weren't you Rolling Eyes
Kia In-dash Tomtom
mightyyid
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using the USB connector, when you plug the connector into the unit, wiggle, gently, this and see if you can see the female socket (the part in the unit) move at all. There's a good chance that the connector has come loose from the circuit board, which is why you are not getting any charge coming in. Fairly common as others have said.

You can fix it yourself if you feel brave or it can be repaired but neither will be cheap or easy given your location.

It could of course be other things as well...
tonygold
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick update. I borrowed another car charger plugged it in and the green charging light came on!!
I then plugged my mains charger in and it's now charging. Brilliant. But don't understand why it was not charging before. Anyhow it's now up and running so thanks to all that replied with advice.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: