Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TTXL Full!!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TTXL Full!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bandk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:26 pm    Post subject: TTXL Full!! Reply with quote

Today I finally got round to downloading whatever the latest map edition was from TomTom but I now have a problem.

The onboard memory is practically full, I have 9Mb's left on it, so something is truly overbloated. Are there any of the myriad of files and folders that can be deleted? for instance why does it need to have a copy of TT Home on there?

Bear in mind that all I have on it are the maps and of course the camera warnings from this wonderful site.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need a copy of the Home.exe there.

Also, look in the license folder and dump anything not showing EN_UK in the name (you really can delete everything)

Use Home and remove any voices you don't use.

Got anything in the raster folder? You can dump it.
Greenglide
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: TTXL Full!! Reply with quote

bandk wrote:
Today I finally got round to downloading whatever the latest map edition was from TomTom but I now have a problem.

The onboard memory is practically full, I have 9Mb's left on it, so something is truly overbloated. Are there any of the myriad of files and folders that can be deleted? for instance why does it need to have a copy of TT Home on there?

Bear in mind that all I have on it are the maps and of course the camera warnings from this wonderful site.

So which map(s) are on the device? A map which shouldnt be there would waste a lot of space and the European map can be "problematical" as it won't, quite, fit on a 2Gb device - hence the zoned version.
Google Nexus One with Google Maps & NDrive
bandk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done the house clearing as suggested, I'm up to 12Mb's now Rolling Eyes

Right what I have on there is UK and Western Europe maps, the full camera warnings for uk and europe from this forum. and two warning voices, one for the dirctions obviously and one for the speed cameras, that is all, yet there seems to be a lot of folders that don't appear to do anything at all. I'm sure they will be needed by the software but its impossible to tell.

Can I go through all the folders and delete text files (txt) or are some of these read by the software as well?
Greenglide
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bandk wrote:
Right what I have on there is UK and Western Europe maps,

Is that BOTH the complete Western Europe map AND the full UK and Ireland map?

The device specification is that it has 2GB of flash memory and the Western Europe map is 2GB in size. The UK and Ireland is a mere 200MB!

Because the Western Europe map is growing TT are splitting it into zones as it won't fit on some devices that it should. The TT Go devices have the option of putting the map on an external memory card - I assume the XL devices dont have this option - with TT these days you get very little even if you feel you have paid for it!

If you have the UK map on the device you "shouldnt" need it. If you do then it is a choice between one map or the other - copied back and forward via Windows Explorer - don't trust TT Home (quite safe to do both though - use Home to delete the map from the device).

If you havent got a separate UK map then you need the zoned Western Europe map. You should get that the next time the maps is updated and you can choose the zones you want on your device at any time.

Neither is ideal!

Note that deleting voices (both TTS and recorded ones) etc will free a small amount of space but not a huge amount.

Have you tried a windows chkdsk on the device in case you have lost some sectors from the file system?
bandk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mapping is just one file ie uk and europe combined. I only ever use france and spain along with the uk, so next time I do a map upgrade those 3 would be the ideal solution. Having said that though, TTHome seems to download everything automatically with no option given to me to choose maps.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bandk wrote:
The mapping is just one file ie uk and europe combined. I only ever use france and spain along with the uk, so next time I do a map upgrade those 3 would be the ideal solution. Having said that though, TTHome seems to download everything automatically with no option given to me to choose maps.

from now on it WILL offer you one of four zones of Europe.
In fact (as you are entitled to the whole of Europe, it will allow you to download all four zones, and you should then be able to use Home to install one of them at a time onto the device.
If you only need the UK, France and Spain, those will all be on one zone anyway, so you might not want to bother with the other zones, it's up to you.
bandk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that info Andy, when was this introduced? as you see from the date of my first post, I actually downloaded the mapping from TT last thursday morning, I wasn't given a choice, just the normal full map content for UK and Europe.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bandk wrote:
when was this introduced?

About two months ago the zonal European maps were introduced, so a map downloaded last week will have been the zoned map unless the device has sufficiant capacity to store the full map along with everything else required (certainly over 2,5GB) - Mike
bandk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just received this email from TT, so it looks like I'll be downloading new maps again tomorrow!

Dear Brian,

Your new TomTom map is now available to download – and it’s better than ever.

With the brand new map, which is covered by your TomTom Map Update Service, you’ll be able to drive with the latest changes to the roads.

To enhance your drive even more, the map is now divided into focused, detail-rich Map Zones. Each Map Zone is packed with landscape details and points of interest as well as richer graphics, to give you even greater freedom to move and enjoy your journey.

How to get your map
When downloading your new map, all you need to do is:
• Connect your device to TomTom HOME
• Accept the installation of the new TomTom HOME version
• Follow the simple instructions to install the Map Zone you want

And if you want to change your map zone? It’s easy – just download the new map zone via TomTom HOME. For more information please visit www.tomtom.com/mapzones.

bandk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So...................

This moring connect satnav to computer, TTHome is the current version and am I offered the zones? Nope..It just downloaded the complete UK and W.Europe maps again!

As with computers the less in memory the faster the unit works or so I believe. It makes sense to just have the maps you use, so in my case France,Spain and the UK is quite sufficient. Can I get them? like Censored I can!

Please do not use alternative characters to circumvent the swear filter. PaulB2005
Greenglide
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bandk wrote:
So...................
This moring connect satnav to computer, TTHome is the current version and am I offered the zones? Nope..It just downloaded the complete UK and W.Europe maps again!

As with computers the less in memory the faster the unit works or so I believe. It makes sense to just have the maps you use, so in my case France,Spain and the UK is quite sufficient. Can I get them?

Could you not copy your map to the PC, remove it from the device, create a file of 150MB or so on the device and then copy the map from TT again. It may offer you the zoned version as the map wont fit on the device then.

Most people are trying to achieve the opposite but I can understand the logic.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bandk wrote:

Please do not use alternative characters to circumvent the swear filter. PaulB2005

Isn't your beloved "censored" symbol an "alternative character"?

I always think it stands for the most disgusting swear-word imaginable, so I'm being corrupted far worse than I would have been otherwise. Wink

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: