Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GO 1000 Live - Reviewed
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GO 1000 Live - Reviewed
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:

We have some news on the POI front as well, I'll be making a full post later

See Darren's post in the "News" section HERE Smile
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having discussed this with our colleagues at GPSPassion and Pocketnavigating.de, the concensus is that we all advise potential customers do not buy if third party POIs are required until such time that support is offered.

This launch could prove very interesting, PocketNavigating.de ran a poll (which we'll emulate) asking for users opinions. So far it stands at:

71% were interested but changed their minds when they discovered loss of features
19% are interested but waiting for more buyer feedback or updates
6% not interested
3% will buy the device anyway
Graham-P
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1% Don't know Question
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Having discussed this with our colleagues at GPSPassion and Pocketnavigating.de, the concensus is that we all advise potential customers do not buy if third party POIs are required until such time that support is offered.

Just as we advised users to stay away from EasyMenu models in forums I moderate in North America, the same advise will be given if and when the T1000/T1005 models hit North American shores.

No custom poi support = don't buy.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So that's your forum, the biggest French one, the biggest German one and the biggest UK one!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... and it's not as if we didn't warn them months ago!

Still, we should look on the bright side. I think there was a time when they wouldn't have listened at all.
mow
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of complaints about the 1000/1005, but also lots of orders - very strange.
Quote:

71% were interested but changed their minds when they discovered loss of features
19% are interested but waiting for more buyer feedback or updates
6% not interested
3% will buy the device anywayWhat % of GPS users view GPS forums ?

What % of GPS users follow forums - 1% or 2% may be !!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mow wrote:
...but also lots of orders....

Where did that info come from? I've not seen it mentioned anywhere.
mow
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My order with Amazon for a GO 1005 was due (a bit optimistically) to ship today

Quote:
We expect your order to be shipped next week

Quote:
Due to the large amount of pre-orders we received, our warehouse is working overtime to make sure every customer will receive the GO LIVE 1000 as soon as possible. This means there will be slight delay in your delivery.

Just reading the posts
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mow wrote:
What % of GPS users follow forums - 1% or 2% may be !!!

There are maybe 20 family and friends whom I talk to about satnavs. The biggest category is the aging group [aren't we all] who are getting fed up with the stress of map reading, the next biggest is those with built in car systems who are not happy with them, then there is a younger generation just getting into navigation/car buying. So I think we connoisseurs have some influence.
Kia In-dash Tomtom
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mow wrote:
Just reading the posts

Quote:
My order with Amazon for a GO 1005 was due (a bit optimistically) to ship today

That's one!

Quote:
We expect your order to be shipped next week

Quote:
Due to the large amount of pre-orders we received, our warehouse is working overtime to make sure every customer will receive the GO LIVE 1000 as soon as possible. This means there will be slight delay in your delivery.

Those are just fob-off replies. We know full well the second one is being "economical with the truth" - The fact they can't deliver is nothing to do with the high demand, just that they haven't got any to sell yet!
mow
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don’t want to burst your bubble, but do you really think this forum has a mass impact on the market. These units will be stocked by all major retailers both online and in retail outlets, they are no fools and know the market potential. I can’t pretend to know the expected turnover in the UK and Europe but it must be in the tens of thousands (someone will no doubt tell me, facts please not fiction).
I am sure the “connoisseurs do have some influence” but get real, it’s a tiny percentage of potential total sales.
Where is “they can’t deliver” coming from? Insider information or just pure trouble making. They will deliver, probably later than first estimated but that happens in all businesses for all sorts of reasons.
I will restate my first thoughts which remains that the lack of an open system has clearly annoyed many “connoisseurs” but the attack that has followed on the Company and its product is losing credibility through unfounded comments.
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what do people look for in a satnav? Ease of use, reliability, availability and accuracy of information. Also what the competition is offering. TT have suffered significant software problems with x40 and x50 models, which will have damaged their reliability score. So what have customers done? Some will never have connected to Home and may have continued to run their devices in 'out of the box' condition. On the evidence in this forum, many will have had an OK experience. Some will have connected to Home and had their device corrupted, then gone through the rigmarole of asking for CS assistance, which seems not to be that helpful. Some presumably put their device in a drawer and forget their experimentation with satnav, others come here and get assistance, some still take a hammer to their device out of frustration. Tomtom has lost the trust of many on this forum, there was a hope that the G1K would be a turning point in a difficult 18 months, but the specification is not a major upgrade, the lockdown of software is not believable to people who spend considerable time and expertise restoring corrupted software. You're saying give the company a chance, but the surprising thing is that so many have stayed so long. I think people still want to stay with TT, a system they love [and hate], but most see the G1K as the make or break issue.

..and I'm not attempting to speak for the forum, just summarising my own view of the experiences of people reporting TT issues. Personally my 530 has been fine. Reading Forums has enabled me to reactivate an old One XL I thought I had terminally damaged. I now appreciate what a simple, reliable, and robust little machine it is. I hope TT succeeds, but I have begun to look at what the competition is offering, the first time I have ever looked outside TT.
Kia In-dash Tomtom
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mow wrote:
I really don’t want to burst your bubble, but do you really think this forum has a mass impact on the market.

If this was aimed at me, I never said that I thought it did.

mow wrote:
I can’t pretend to know the expected turnover in the UK and Europe but it must be in the tens of thousands (someone will no doubt tell me, facts please not fiction).

Precisely. You seemed to imply that you DID know and all I asked was where you got your facts from. That's when you said it was just from the posts of a few people here!

mow wrote:
Where is “they can’t deliver” coming from? Insider information or just pure trouble making. They will deliver, probably later than first estimated but that happens in all businesses for all sorts of reasons.

Do you mean can't deliver the device that people want, or to deliver it when they say they will?
They have demonstrably failed on both counts.
It's no secret that several of us have been using the device for some time now, and from both that and the press and company statements we KNOW what has been left off the machine and the opportunities that have been missed.

And it is a simple truth that they have not launched the machine on date they said they would. To me, that is no big deal, but I can understand the frustration of people who have had their money taken off them already - that's not good business practice.

mow wrote:
I will restate my first thoughts which remains that the lack of an open system has clearly annoyed many “connoisseurs” but the attack that has followed on the Company and its product is losing credibility through unfounded comments.

That is almost not worthy of comment. Which "unfounded comments are you referring to, please?
mow
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy
Clearly we are not going to agree on this one.
From early in this thread, indeed page one, it was quoted “As it's not the release version it is unfair to dwell too much on this.” And from what I read there have been countless comments on pre production performance from then on.
Your comment on page 11, quote “that’s one” sums it up. Take a look at the Retailers stocking the product, Amazon, Tesco, Comet, Halfords. Do you really think they believe no one will buy it. There are also posts from members relating to “my order” so don’t let’s get silly.
As far as delivery is concerned do you have any idea about the complexities of launching a product? There are a hundred and one reasons why delays occur altering “Expected dates” it’s life, it happens, not only production issues but from customs documentation processing through container handling and routing. That’s why it is an expected delivery date. I do however believe that Companies should be honest and inform customers of deliver issues on a regular basis.
I am sure some will move away from Tom Tom (actually I’m not because of HD Traffic) and will find all the other brands are full of similar issues. Look at the Garmin 37xx thread !

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 11 of 13

Jump to: