Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GO 1000 Live - Reviewed
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GO 1000 Live - Reviewed
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still blaming Microsoft for this change in TT's direction. That and TT's lawyers, who seem not to want to risk anymore legal challenges.
Kia In-dash Tomtom
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the scary thing in that statement is the "roll out will take several months", and that some things will not be in from day one. Given it has taken about two years to do the most basic thing of preserving your favourites across map updates, I expect this to take years, not months. They may well have third party POI or similar plans, but they can slip, and then never happen.

Now, maybe they actually have a brilliant plan and can implement it. Let's face it, wouldn't it be nice to have the satnav completely updated from the web, which means that you could be driving along and have the latest POIs downloaded direct to the device without you having to connect to your computer. You could use the web site to manage the subscriptions, so you could have the PocketGPSWorld POI subscription, and when they released a new update it would appear magically on your device. Moreover, they could update your iPhone/Android/PND all from the same system.

[fx: scratched record sound]

Back in the real world, the new firmware would be pushed out to all those 740's driving around, and then the LIVE traffic would stop. No way to resort to previous version, and two months to fix. One of the things I really like is that I can choose when updates happen. If I have a big journey planned, I make sure things are updated and working at least a week in advance, and then I don't touch it.

TomTom may have the best plan in the world. But they do not have the best track record in implementing these things, or keeping them running.

Time will tell.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice post, Matthew. Smile
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if they do permit third party POI they will still have complete control over what is & isn't allowed on your privately owned device which is totally unacceptable in my view & may well be the last straw for many TomTom owners!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But if it works properly and (eventually) gives you the amount of control you actually *need* (adding POIs, voices, setting warnings etc.) does it matter?

It will only be like dozens of other electrical devices where we have no control over the operating system.

My bedside radio's software is updatable via USB and I would love it if the display of the time was a bit bigger on the display, but I certainly don't think it's unacceptable that I can't hack into it and try to change it myself. I could say the same about my TV, cable box, microwave oven - they are all "closed" systems with more or less limited options for customisation, but it doesn't bother me unduly.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
But if it works properly and (eventually) gives you the amount of control you actually *need* (adding POIs, voices, setting warnings etc.) does it matter?

It will only be like dozens of other electrical devices where we have no control over the operating system.

My bedside radio's software is updatable via USB and I would love it if the display of the time was a bit bigger on the display, but I certainly don't think it's unacceptable that I can't hack into it and try to change it myself. I could say the same about my TV, cable box, microwave oven - they are all "closed" systems with more or less limited options for customisation, but it doesn't bother me unduly.

but did you USED to be able to update the clock and they took the feature away? or has it just never been possible?

had tomtom never had these features before then it would be easier to accept, but the fact they got so popular because of them and now they're taking them away is a whole different story.

MaFt
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:

Whilst I agree with you 'In Principle' if TomTom licence just the ACME POI Company for distribution of Third Party 'POIs, voices, setting warnings etc' then I am severely restricted in choice & more importantly 'quality' & I certainly would not be able to use the PGPSW files.

Rather than using your bedside clock I think a closer comparison to the TomTom would be a netbook/PC where we can alter/control anything you want provided you have the brains or money. If Mr Gates had totally closed down windows to all prying eyes & programmers where would we be now with no choice other than MS progs. As stated by MaFt, if we'd never had these features then we probably wouldn't miss them but that's not the case, we can't roll back time
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:

but did you USED to be able to update the clock and they took the feature away? or has it just never been possible?

Did you miss my big 'rider' at the front of my comment?
Andy_P wrote:
But if it works properly and (eventually) gives you the amount of control you actually *need*....

At the moment, it's pants.
The fact they even THOUGHT they could remove these features, is pants.

But if all the normal customisation is restored, then 99% of users probably aren't going to be too upset about not being able to have total access to the file structure etc.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:

At the moment, it's pants.
The fact they even THOUGHT they could remove these features, is pants.

The more I hang out in this forum, the more I understand the expressions you people use in the UK.

Just to be clear, is it safe to say that 'pants' in the above expression would probably be equivalent to a word that sounds like 'trap'? Wink
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very similar Laughing
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got it!
but it's PaulB friendly .... Laughing
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IanS100 wrote:

Rather than using your bedside clock I think a closer comparison to the TomTom would be a netbook/PC where we can alter/control anything you want provided you have the brains or money. If Mr Gates had totally closed down windows to all prying eyes & programmers where would we be now with no choice other than MS progs. As stated by MaFt, if we'd never had these features then we probably wouldn't miss them but that's not the case, we can't roll back time

just a quick reminder about how good microsoft is ..... while I don't condone it the faster microsoft bring out features to stop the illegal trade of cracking and bypassing all their devices the quicker people make programs to fix it so it can still run on a person PC Shocked Shocked Shocked
I would say give it time and some bright spark will find a way to crack open a tom-tom and bring the features back ....... although I could be wrong Shocked Shocked Shocked
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has PGPSW got hold of a production model to review yet?
Kia In-dash Tomtom
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, but I have enough information and user experience to answer any queries you may have in the interim?

We have some news on the POI front as well, I'll be making a full post later (see link 3 posts below - AP) but the simple answer from TomTom is that it isn't being dropped, but it has had to be omitted at the moment because of pressure to get the basic platform released.

We shouldn't expect to see third party POI support available on GO 1000 and VIA until 2011 at earliest.

So if third party POI support is important to you, don't go buying one of these models now unless you're prepared for what could be a long wait.
HenryMitchell
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mor order with Amazon for a GO 1005 was due (a bit optimistically) to ship today but they just emailed me this morning to say there will be "a delay obtaining stock" and "We are awaiting a revised estimate from our supplier, and will email you as soon as we receive this information".

I'll wait and see what happens, but my GO 950 is working fine so I'm happy to wait.
Map: Europe v920.5244 (11/2013)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 10 of 13

Jump to: