Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom car kit for iPhone
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom car kit for iPhone
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:47 pm    Post subject: Tomtom car kit for iPhone Reply with quote

Hi. Got this today to use with my iPhone 3GS with OS 4 installed. The phone has also been jail broke.
On putting this in the car, I get a message that this accessory is not configured for this iPhone. And something about awful sound. It won't find the TT Bluetooth signal and the TT application app doesn't see the gps bit.
I rang TT support who said it should work but to hold the volume switch down for about 30 seconds and the unit should beep as it resets. I held this down for about one minute and it never made a sound let alone reset itself.
Has anyone any ideas before I send this back? It is supposed to be compatible but does anyone know different or have this 3GS /OS4 configuration?
Thanks
Doug
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug, I know this might sound a silly question but was the iPhone car kit plugged in to the car and the ciggy socket powered up, some cars need the ignition switched on/ engine running, without power the car kit won't work as it cannot derive power from the iPhone - Mike
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,
Yes, I had it powered on/engine not running and powered on/engine running. On this firms site, it mentions 3G and 3GS but not OS4. I read somewhere that TT are shipping OS4 compatible ones only now and the one I bought is probably a year old or thereabouts.
It definitely did not want to find Bluetooth and the reset did not work.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like its faulty then unless its your JB thats causing the issue, my non JB 3G is running OS4 and that works with the TT Car Kit - Note the iPhone 3G is practically useless running OS4, unbelievably slow with loads of bugs - Mike
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have iPhone 3GS 16GB "upgraded" (Apple's description, not mine!!) to iOS4 and TT Car Kit working together. The car kit charges my iPhone very well and the phone works through it too - I have at long last discovered that the car kit volume reverts to inaudible when it's switched off, so I have to increase the volume after each time I switch off the ignition.

You can tell if they are getting power by putting the iPhone into the cradle BEFORE switching on the ignition - then at the very least you'll get a burble of sound from the iPhone - mine is switched into sleep mode (or whatever) and inviltes me to slide to unlock when I switch on the ignition.

I don't use many apps, really only CamerAlert, but I can confirm Mike's description of iOS4 being a disaster - it crashes CamerAlert after less than 30 minutes running.

From what little I've read, the car kit does not fit the iPhone 4 - different thickness.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike and Dennis,
Thanks for that info. I think to test it out fully, I will restore my phone through Itunes to un jailbreak it and see if that is the problem. I have tried the switching on when all connected together and I get no sound at al and I get that message about the accessory not being optimized for that type of Iphone.
If it still doesn't go, I can always jailbreak it again. I've had a look at reverting to 3.1.3 but it looks daunting.
Let you know how it goes.
Thanks
Doug
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try someone elses iPhone in your car kit, all they would need is the TomTom GPS status app which is free to know if its working or not - Mike
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, need to find another IPhone user. I have restored it back to 4.0.1 and still nothing. I need an explanation as to why I get that message 'this accessory is not optimised for this IPhone'. Then adds a bit about garbled sound. So it must be powered to pick that up. After pressing okay, it does nothing. Even the reset does nothing, no noise etc. Will try and play some tunes thro it.
Anything I have forgotten I wonder?
Doug
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Returned the other one and got one from Argus today. Got the same "not optimised for this iphone message" and no pairing so it must be my 3GS with OS 4.0.1 on it. Anyone any ideas please?
Doug
Crying or Very sad
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's probably a daft question, but have you actually downloaded the TomTom Car Kit Tool from the App store? (Yellow/orange icon - same colour as iPod icon - with TT red hands in white circle). Run it with iPhone in stand and power on from ciggy lighter plug.

dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dennis,
Is it essential to have this running before you start the pairing process? Is this application an integral part of using the car kit? I thought it was just another application!
Am I a prat then?
Doug
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno, but I'm having a nightmare with Bluetooth at the moment, meaning I have at least twice unpaired the Car Kit, then re-paired it. At least the App tells you the status of the Car Kit . I really can't be sure, but it won't harm getting the app and running it to see what it tells you - right now, my Car Kit is out there in the van, so the App is telling me Status, Not Docked and GPS, No Fix. It also tells me the Model number, serial number, firmware and hardware versions. Does that mean the iPhone knows what's there now? I seem to recall reading somewhere that you need to have the Car Kit Tool for something to work. I also know that when I had unpaired the Car Kit, the power supply still came through to the iPhone.

It's free, give it a go. Can't harm, can it?

dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. The power is there, the speaker works etc and I do have the app. The strange thing and an important thing is this message I get as soon as I dock it. About not optimised for this phone. That would mean to me that it is not going to work! And it doesn't.
I have googled this error message and found someone on the Mac forum asking the same question with exactly the same message and unable to pair.
I did ask Tomtom and they had no idea either.
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to buy from Argos a Mio (Navman) Iphone car holder and try that. Exactly the same thing but will be interested in whether that works. If not, it goes back and I will give up.
Doug
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried out this one this morning. Thought I had cracked it as Bluetooth paired and made a call no problem. Started Sygic Aura and got no sound! Got the dreaded message about sound distortion and poor gps reception. Unfortunately returned it but perhaps should have tried another application. Is it worth reverting to 3.1.3 to give that a try or should I give up?
Doug

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: