Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 2595LMT - how long should first update take?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

2595LMT - how long should first update take?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldie69
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: 2595LMT - how long should first update take? Reply with quote

I've just taken delivery of a 2595LMT. After reading the quickguide, I plugged the unit into my laptop (hopefully, it's charging) and registered, etc.

The next instruction was to update the software : this has now been going on for nearly 3 hours. I have a screen saying "Updating Device Software", and "May take a few minutes". There is a small blue cog symbol revolving.

At the bottom there are seven blue dots, the second on expanded to a circle.

There's also the words "Search for device", underlined, with no clue as to what it's about. And a "continue" box which appears to be unhighlighted.

1. Is it updating maps as well as software?
2. Should I have clicked on "search for device"?
3. How long should this stage take?

My connection is currently running at just over 30Mbps (i've just checked), but I have the Hub Manager page open, and "Data Received" is increasing very, very slowly. I have a feeling I might have been better connecting by ethernet, rather than wireless, but it's too late now.

Sorry for the long post, but I've been in a "Is this working" state for at least two hours.
fruit
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't say how you are connecting but assume via browser and Garmin's mydashboard?

A new map has been released in the last couple of days and it's a big download, took nearly 3 hours here, in fits and starts as is often the case, but that is via Lifetime Updater. Many don't like Lifetime Updater and I'm not that keen on it myself.

If you are connecting via browser then I think you should have selected device first, then you are given options to update software or maps IME. You don't need to sign in for that.

I'd be inclined to leave it a bit longer in case it's actually working correctly.

If you cancel/quit/reboot then that should not affect your ability to update in the future so try again.

Hope that helps
oldie69
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Fruit

I'm with BT, so I was able to check my received data for the month up till midnight last night - 4.08 GB. Since my Hub Managershowed about 5.2 GB received in last 12 days, I decided the transfer had been done, but nothing had been triggered to move to the next stage.

So I clicked on "search fpr device", and things immediately moved into the Map Update phase. Three separate boxes gave download time (27 min), prepare maps (2 mins) and time to go (29 mins), and the 'dot enlarged to circle' moved forward. The times were underestimated, but eventually everything was completed. Another check of Hub manager showed 10.5GB received.

I've been trying to get used to the menu systems (the manual's not particularly good, in my opinion), and a problem's shown up with the unit closing down while I'm editing Favourites. On Restart, you go through the initial screens again, and the favourites have disappeared. However, I'll post on this separately.
dunk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:07 pm    Post subject: New Garmin 2595 first update and register Reply with quote

Hi
I had a new garmin 2595 delivered yesterday and at 2030 hrs started to register which it did then started on map download after downloading for the umpteenth time the updater but no where to continue to download maps? Eventually it downloaded an update to map downloader v 3.1.19.! Then it started to download the maps,with estimated time of 9hrs a map preparation time of 25mins and an install time of 2hrs!
Then after 2hrs I returned to find the download time was now 96hrs! So I went to bed and checked on it at 2am to find the download time was 2050hrs!! But to be fair AOL had disconnected somewhere along the line! So I shut it down and went back to bed.
When I opened up the Garmin next morning Lo And Behold? It had the same version as it started with v2013.20 and that's all that is in the map folder.
Please! What's going on anybody.
dunk

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: