Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Map download advice
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Map download advice
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RichardM
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:27 pm    Post subject: Map download advice Reply with quote

I have a TT 750 which is about 6 weeks old. I want to update the map and am being offered W&C Europe,Turkey & Russia, or four zoned maps. The W&C Euope Turkey, & Russia map is over 2gb but I have a 4gb sdhc card which has the current Europe map on it along with all the other files from the internal memory. This has left a bit under 2gb of free space, will the the W&C Europe, Turkey & Russia map of 2gb plus fit on this card? Does it overwrite the current map or do I have to clear the current map to leave enough free space?
Also is the detail on any given route on this map the same as the same route on the zoned maps?
Any help appreciated.
RichardM
rireed3
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a device without card, so I'm stuck, but I think I remember reading that you can get the full map on a 4 GB card, but it has to be the only thing on it. The old map should also be on the PC as a backup, and you can copy it somewhere if you're worried about it.

It sounds like you were already running the map from the card, but if not, you have to set the card as the active memory before getting the v850 map with TT Home (again, I only read about that, as mine doesn't have a card).

Richard
RichardM
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I have a back up of all the original files on my computer. What I need to know is do I have to delete the current map on the card in order to have enough free space or will the download over write the map.
RichardM
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the current map needs to be still on the card for Home to offer you the new one.
Home will then overwrite the old map with the new one, so space should not be an issue.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best method is to do the upgrade using the SD card in a card reader, not inside the device - your PC will recognise the card as an external drive and TT Home will recognise it as a TT device, just as if you had the 750 plugged into the PC. Be aware that when the new map overwrites the old map, it will carry forward your POIs but probably NOT your Favourites, so take steps to cover this (e.g. convert Favourites to POIs). Anyway, do remember that a full Windows Explorer backup is your guarantee against things going pear-shaped when upgrading/changing anything.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
RichardM
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. At least I know I can download the new map and have enough space. I have done a full back up but am having problems with my sdhc adapter which for some reason is not showing up when I connect to the computer. So it looks like a new one of those. So far I have not put on any POI or favourites as I knew a map update was due and would probably wipe some or all of them. Once the new map is on then I can put the POI etc on.
The other question I asked was, is the detail on any given route on the W&C Europe Turkey & Russia map the same as the same route on the zoned maps?
RichardM
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom Home will only recognise the card as a TT device if it has the application on the card as well as the map. Copy the entire contents of your TT device onto the card, then load it onto a card reader and, as Dennis says, Home will think the card is the device itself and overwrite the map with the new version. If the card is big enough you will be offered the full W and C Europe, rather than the zoned version
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The full and zoned maps should be the same - that's been the case with Europe and Regional maps previously, but this zoning is a new departure for TomTom, so I don't think anybody knows yet. I've seen no reports of any differences.

mcintyre
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gosh I just came here this morning to ask pretty much the same question as Home has just offered me new maps of western and central europe with russia and stuff added.

My Go 730 has 2Gb of memory and the current map is installed there but I also have a 16Gb SD card for music/audiobooks and photos.

Think I shall now spend some time with explorer and copy everything in the unit to my PC before I proceed - I have been relying on Home for backups until now.

Thanks - Dan
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcintyre wrote:
I have been relying on Home for backups until now.
As I said in another thread recently, the correct word is backup - singular. Home backs up and overwrites the existing backup, so you've only ever got one backup, the most recent. It's not like Windows Restore points, there's only one. And if that was dodgy, that's what you're stuck with. Windows Explorer method is a tiny bit more effort, but oh so worth it!

If you copy everything on your 730 onto the 16GB SDHC card, you can put that into your PC's card reader and it'll look just like a 730 to Home, so you'll be able to download the new map without all this messing about with zones.

Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robin2 wrote:
TomTom Home will only recognise the card as a TT device if it has the application on the card as well as the map.

To be clear, this is ONLY the case if you are trying to use a card reader.
I have updated a US map on an SD card without the system files while it is in the TomTom itself.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy, this gets me wondering...........

The Canada TomTom site is pathetic when it comes to map purchases; namely, you have a choice of North_America or Western_Europe and there is no way to select any other map or to designate a model.

But, you can designate a model on the US (and UK sites).

So, based upon what stuff has been transpiring the past couple of days here with how to get all of Western_Central_Europe offered, not just zones, by using a card reader and everything from a 720 or 720 copied to a sdhc card (maybe 8 gigs).....

Wonder if the same thing would work on the US site: Copy everything on the sdhc card. Use just a card reader. Request the FULL North_America map (normally only offered if, in Canada, you DO have a 930 unit) and say you have a 930 model so that the full (not the NA_2GB) gets offered.

Or, when all is said and done, if you do get the full map and then try to install on the sdhc card for the 730, you'll still run into 'not meant for this device' malarky??

Just musing here.....
RichardM
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply DennisN. I have found out why my card is not showing in the card reader. Apparently the reader will only work with micro sd cards up to 1gb. So its off to the shops to get a new one that will work on 4gb and then wait for the weekend to do the download. Fingers crossed it all goes OK.
Richard M
MrDJ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how old is your computer Richard. i thought nearly all computers in the last 4-5 years came with an inbuilt 17 in 1 card reader.

my 8gb card arrived this morning so in the process of transfering everything across from my 930 to the sd card.
one question i have is, once ive transfered everything onto the card and updated the maps 1) should i delete all the original files off the go and run it from the sd card or 2) delete all the files on the go and move everything back from the sd card to the go once its updated. or 3) move everything back from the card once its updated but just leave the western & central europe and north american maps on the card.

edit: here we go again.
coppied everything onto sd card. selected sd card as drive to update new maps.
go harddrive has 332mb free space of 3.74gb
sd card has 3.99gb free of 7.42gb
the new maps are 4.1gb so im still beeing offered zoned maps arghh!

time to delete everything and start again.
this time im just going to put the 2 map folders on the sd card and try it that way.

edit 2:
almost 2 hours and america map has got aother 15 mins to finish downloading and then onto the even bigger map to download.
mcintyre
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
As I said in another thread recently, the correct word is backup - singular. Home backs up and overwrites the existing backup, so you've only ever got one backup, the most recent. It's not like Windows Restore points, there's only one. And if that was dodgy, that's what you're stuck with.

Understood, and thanks for the clarification.

Quote:
Windows Explorer method is a tiny bit more effort, but oh so worth it!

Now done and it is only a *tiny* bit more effort.

Quote:
If you copy everything on your 730 onto the 16GB SDHC card, you can put that into your PC's card reader and it'll look just like a 730 to Home, so you'll be able to download the new map without all this messing about with zones.

Hmmm might have to try that - I'm still new to Tomtom and assumed that the application and maps *had* to be installed on the unit. If they work from the card I might be able to get all of Europe on, but not sure if it's worth the effort as I have no plans to visit Eastern Europe in the near future - I only bought the Tomtom unit as I am driving to Southern Spain in a fortnight and my old Navman didn't cover Europe. I've gone for the Western zone of the Europe map and it covers the UK, France and Spain.

Still might be worth trying for future use...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: