Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Selling Go 540 to friend; HOME and HD Traffic transfer?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Selling Go 540 to friend; HOME and HD Traffic transfer?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pward
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:27 pm    Post subject: Selling Go 540 to friend; HOME and HD Traffic transfer? Reply with quote

Hi,

I have upgraded to a 550 and plan on selling my 540, which has an active HD Traffic subscription, to a friend. He currently has an older Go, a 720.

A couple of questions:

1. When he plugs the 540 into his TT HOME what happens? Will he be prompted to 'transfer' the device to his account?
2. Is there a way of transferring the HD Traffic subscription to a new user? Or do I need to cancel my subscription and have my friend start a new subscription?

Thanks in advance.

pward
TomDavison
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Create a "disposable" hotmail account, and then change the e-mail registered to your satnav to the new e-mail.

When you then sell it, give away the e-mail account and password with the device. That way, he can register the new device on his Home, using the e-mail account, and all of the subscriptions registered to that account should transfer to him automatically.

Be aware that when you do this, ALL of the subscriptions will transfer, so if you have a map upgrade, as well as the HD, you can't split them when you transfer this way.

Whenever I buy a new Tom Tom, I create a new e-mail address, linked to that particular device, so any future sale can take the account with it.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget, the user account does have to be in email "format" (i.e. anyname@anyplace.com) but it doesn't have to be a "real" email address.
pward
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember to delete the PocketGPSWorld camera database if you have that on the device - the database will always have your pgpsw ID on it and if your friend lets it loose, you could lose your membership here.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
pward
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all for your help on this.

One further question; after discussion with my friend he would rather set up his own account with TomTom to pay his HD Traffic subscriptions himself.

What do I need to do to my TomTom GO 540 to permit him to set up his own account for HD Traffic?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pward wrote:
What do I need to do to my TomTom GO 540 to permit him to set up his own account for HD Traffic?

Nothing. He treats it just as if he's bought it today and taken it out of the box. Factory reset should make him choose all the stuff he needs to set it up. He needs to set up an account with (his) email address for it on both TT Home and www.tomtom.com - top right, "Create account".

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
pward
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
pward wrote:

Nothing. He treats it just as if he's bought it today and taken it out of the box. Factory reset should make him choose all the stuff he needs to set it up. He needs to set up an account with (his) email address for it on both TT Home and www.tomtom.com - top right, "Create account".

Thanks Dennis.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an aside to the questions why have you switched from a 540 to a 550 and if I might ask why do you consider this an "upgrade" - just want to know out of interest - Mike
pward
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
As an aside to the questions why have you switched from a 540 to a 550 and if I might ask why do you consider this an "upgrade" - just want to know out of interest - Mike

I realise the 550 isn't really an upgrade on the 540 but I switched for a couple of reasons; I like Navcore 9 which doesn't work reliably on the 540 and I got a good deal on the 550.

Also I will get the 1 Year Live Services offer and I am selling the 540 to my friend, making the deal more or less cost neutral.
djc1610
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Remember to delete the PocketGPSWorld camera database if you have that on the device - the database will always have your pgpsw ID on it and if your friend lets it loose, you could lose your membership here.

Now that's something well worth knowing.

I am just about to sell my TT and I would otherwise have left the camera POIs on it.

Phew!!

VW RNS 510 and TomTom 5200 World

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: