Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - how to use Satmap and Geocching
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

how to use Satmap and Geocching

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nick789uk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:38 pm    Post subject: how to use Satmap and Geocching Reply with quote

Hi had a look at the forum and what has been said about the topic but sorry dont understand it, I would like to try geoching but have not a clue on how to do it, it would be very helpful if any of you could give me a step by step guide or point me in the right direction where I can find this out thanking you for your time.

Nick
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick,

Do you mean geocaching in general or geocaching with the Active10 ?

For the former,have a look here:-

http://www.geocaching.com/default.aspx

which should explain it.

In short it is a treasure hunt with a GPS.People hide "treasure",post it on the site with GPS co-ordinates and other people find it and post their finds.

The Active 10 makes it easier as cache descriptions can be downloaded to the unit and icons appear on the map,all very clever.

Ian
nick789uk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi thanks for that yes I did mean geocaching with the active 10, how do I down load stuff to the active 10 so I can start to find them, as I meant to say in my last post I do not have a clue how to do this, any help would br greatfully appriciated thanking you.

Nick
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick,

Go to geocaching.com and select the cache you want to find.Download the cache to your computer in ".gpx" form.It will appear as,for example,GC2WCB2.You can rename it to the cache name which is useful if you have a lot of caches but keep the ".gpx" file name.

Open Satsync on your computer and import the file to either the unit or your map card ( or both ).

On the Active 10 looking at the map page,press the lower right button,then the upper left ( POI Menu ),then click on "Internal Storage" ( if saved to the unit ) or on the map folder if saved to your card.

Your cache name should then display,select it and either press the joystick or "Show Details" and your cache description complete with logs and clue should display.

An icon will also appear on the map at the cache site

Gibbo on this forum has a method using GSAK which he may bob along and inform you of.

Hope this helps.

Ian
Gibbo10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick, as Bosun said you can download a gpx file but you will need to be a premium member to do that, if you are a basic member you can download a .loc file but you you will only see the name of the cache and the co-ordinates for the cache.

If you are a premium member you can create what's called pocket queries and download upto 1000 caches at a time with all the cache information and then you can go "paperless" caching i.e. load all the data into the Active 10 rather than print of the cache page.

As Bosum mentioned I have a macro that works with GSAK database when you want to get a bit more advanced.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: