Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Lights, Camera, Inaction: Swindon, Oxfordshire and Now Derby
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Lights, Camera, Inaction: Swindon, Oxfordshire and Now Derby
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vicz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:05 pm    Post subject: Caught! Reply with quote

And the govt finally confess to lying about the effectiveness of speed cameras http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/07/29/dft_speed_cam_incorrectness/
Spy_Dad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:25 pm    Post subject: Speed Camera Income Reply with quote

I personnaly believe that the reason they are shutting down the fixed cameras is they are not making enough money to keep up the maintenance and paperwork they require (+ profit of course!). You could argue that downloads of SC DB's are a primary cause but you can play that off against "they are accidnet black spots" and if no ones getting caught, then the cameras and DB's have done their job. I believe that SC DB's are an important addition to road safety.
Now i don't want to start a conspiracy theory here but what if police threw in false reports of SC's, or parked the van on a regular basis at a certain spot - speed would defrinitely be reduced in that area. However, what is interesting is the statistics from the 'Oxfordshire' post above which shows that speeding is not the "be all and end all" of motoring offences. It's just it's easy to catch a speeder!
I saw a report recently that said 'drug driving' is on the increase and close to drink driving figures! But there is no sure way to catch them, maybe they've realised speed is not everything that is a problem.
Down er're in West Country (Plymouth) red light jumping is horrendous, i'd like to see a large percntage of traffic lights with Red Light Cameras built in. I've had several near misses in the past month. Still time to stop ranting, good night all!
davidjm25
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wazza_G wrote:
They used to be paid for by central (Labour) government who then got a rake off of the profits, which were to be used for more & more of them, so more & more cameras would come raking in ever more profits!

So it's not surprisingly they (Labour) were keen to keep them.

But the Tories, knew that the public resented them & just saw them as a cash machine and said that they'd reduce & get rid of a lot of them which was good card to play at election time with a duff/failing Labour government in charge. Now it seems that they're actually doing it.

I think you'll find it was the Tories that brought cameras to the UK roads (and they were all grey!)...

When Labour came to power they made the councils (who received part of the revenue from them) turn them bright yellow & move them from behind trees, road signs or anything else that would obscure them from plain sight...
Wazza_G
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll agree it was the Tories who bought them in it was Stephen Norris actually.

I notice that the cameras in Wiltshire are expected to be deactivated in October.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-10853753

Bloody good riddance as this lot are some of the worst for money grabbing.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wazza_G wrote:
I'll agree it was the Tories who bought them in it was Stephen Norris actually.
snip

And we have a video of Mr Norris on this site talking about speed cameras and how the Gatso is not effective...

Click here to watch it.
whiteshark
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can understand LV's claim, the times have have followed a car approaching a camera, it the brakes ans s;ows to about 10 mph under the speed limit to pass the camera, how dangerous.

It doesnot effect me removing the cameras, although I am pleased to see them go, as I and many more use this database you can speed when ever you want too, so how can the dogooders say a speed camera in a particular location, where there has been no accidents, which we had 3 in our town, switching them off willcause accidents, can someone explaing the logic.

The TV Police traffic division in Oxfordshire has made it clear they do not have the resources to do anymore speed checks than they are doing at present.

It will be interesting to see if accident figures are manipulated to to try and say there is an increase because of the removal of the cameras.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thames Valley Safer Roads Partnership wrote:

The partnership Road Safety Constables also coordinate checks to address dangerous driving behaviour such as failure to wear seatbelts, using a mobile phone or drink driving. In 2009 in Oxfordshire these checks detected the following offences:

Seatbelt offences 4,050
Mobile Phone Offences 1,010
Speed Offences 2,866
Construction and Use offences 2,058
Drink Drive Offences 6
Insurance Offences 52
Driving Licence Offences 26

There's one they missed: Evil or Very Mad

Speeding Offences caught on camera 75,000

Yet, the total number of drink, insurance and license offences comes to just 84. There's got to be something wrong with that.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
Yet, the total number of drink, insurance and license offences comes to just 84. There's got to be something wrong with that.
Then they should to get a 'Police Interceptors' team. They catch this many in a night on telly Shocked

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: