Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Itinerary Planning
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Itinerary Planning
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lasertek
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:43 am    Post subject: TomTom Itinerary Planning Reply with quote

Hi. Newbie to the site and have a 6 year old TT Go 500 that works excellent and has the latest v850.xxxx maps but only v7.9 Nav firmware.

Sorry if this has been asked and answered, but I have been unable to find anything via the search options.

I use the Itinerary Planning function as a delivery driver and want to know if there is a 3rd party add on that will allow the Continuation to the next Destination in the list with say a Yes\No prompt?

As you are all aware you have to exit and go back to the IP and continue that way. If they are set as Waypoints then you are not exactly directed to the door and wants you to turn around back onto the main route. If the waypoint is on the main route also then you just drive straight past as it gives no indication of approach etc.

Are there and newer devices that cope with this better? I was thinking of the Referbished TT 530/730 series as advertised on their Outlet shop.

Assistance appreciated.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Fraid not - your method seems to be the only one that works. In my own case, I rarely have more than two drops, so I simply Prepare route to them both then after the first, Navigate to Recent Destination and choose the other, I long ago learned that waypoints are something up to two miles away off route and don't get anywhere near them!! Even Navigate Via one point can be unreliable.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
I long ago learned that waypoints are something up to two miles away off route and don't get anywhere near them!! Even Navigate Via one point can be unreliable.
It very much depends on how you select/place the waypoints.

In my experience, if a waypoint is placed accurately on a navigable road then a route will pass through that point.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. I was once in Bedford and decided to return home (Bristol) via a former home in the village of Pavenham near Bedford - I input Pavenham and it showed the village as the waypoint, but the closest I got was a mile away. When I browsed map, the village waypoint flag was clearly in the village, but my route wasn't.

But even with precise placing (postcode, house number etc) I have found the same problem as the OP - "Turn around when possible" BEFORE I've reached it. For example, I used to try to navigate via POIs, namely the camera sites we get to verify, which are all on navigable roads, but it was hopeless.

JoolsTwo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my ONE doesn't have itinerary planning as such, but I have the option to "travel via". I find if I put a city centre in then anything vaguely near the place counts as having been there, but if I use a street or postcode it will always take me to the correct place. But unless you actually pass over the point, it will try to get you to go back, I get round this selecting a new point to go via and it says "replace exisiting waypoint? Y/N" put yes and then cancel it and it's sorted Smile

matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sometimes use the "travel via" to get the TT to go a particular route I want to try. But next time I'll use that cancel method you mention, as what I've normally done is just set off and get on the right road, and then use Navigate to, and then recent destinations, and then the place I really want to go. Which is why when I was taken through the centre of a large city I started to be surprised that it might be the best route. And even more surprised when it said "in 300 yards, you have reached your destination"...

I'd selected my "via this city" as the recent destination to actually head to.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it not a case of setting the places you want to visit in the itinerary as multiple destinations rather than waypoints?
Lasertek
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
Is it not a case of setting the places you want to visit in the itinerary as multiple destinations rather than waypoints?

Yes it is, but when you reach the first destination and want to go to the next destination in the list you can not do this simply. Hence requesting a Yes\No to Continue to the next destination would solve this simple problem.
Presently you have to enter the menu system again to Itinerary Planner where it will then ask to go to the next Destination. Many key pressing steps to achieve a simple goal.

There must be a 'clever' programmer out there that can create a simple addon that would allow this? I am prepared to 'Donate' if it can be done?

How about the Garmin range, with Route Planning? Do these work Destination to Destination from the list simply?
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iGO 8 does what you want Very Happy
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't selecting "Shortest Routes" take you to the door step of every WayPoint? I know that we nearly always use "Fastest Route" but, to be honest, we all Know the fastest route to our destinations but just need a bit of "Fine Tuning" when we are nearby to "zero us in". But hey, I think this is what I worked out too many San Miguels ago, so it's probably cojones!
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
Lasertek
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a delivery driver, shortest routes are a nighmare. You get taken down every side street. Not recommended to anyone.

The Itinerray Planning just needs an overhaul to make it work a bit better.
It seems that from the response that there are no extra addons for the TT firmware \ software?
I will just have to live with the extra key presses until TT decide to update this feature for the daily work of multi-destinations by delivery drivers.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lasertek wrote:
I will just have to live with the extra key presses until TT decide to update this feature for the daily work of multi-destinations by delivery drivers.

Don't hold your breath! Even though we are the salt of the earth and the best drivers thereon, we're a minority, so they're not going to do it. For localised multi-drop, there is nothing to beat the guidance system of the human brain - how many times do you make one stop for two or more deliveries - the satnav would have you put even more strain on your battery, clutch, brakes and engine.

Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:

Even though we are the salt of the earth and the best drivers thereon

Lasertek wrote:

The Itinerray Planning just needs an overhaul to make it work a bit better.

I agree, it always seemed to me like the Itinerary Planning section was written by someone different from the team who did the main menus. It feels like it was done in a hurry and never quite finished.

A good first try, but needed some polishing.

Lasertek wrote:
It seems that from the response that there are no extra addons for the TT firmware \ software.

There WERE quite a few third-party add-ons for the TomTom software, including several tools for the Itinerary Planning. See this topic:
{Sticky} Third Party Add-On Applications

But TomTom made a decision to stop supporting external developers and stopped supplying the software development kit to enable them to keep things working after TT updates. So it is quite likely that most of them don't work on recent software versions.
alanji
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try using "point on map" when adding itinerary waypoints - if necessary (eg address) go to "browse map" first and place cursor on where you want to go then go back to itinerary and add point on map. Bit long winded but seems to work.

Go 750 LIVE Europe Map 870.3406
Go 720 W Europe Map 865.3245
One XL W Europe. Map 715.1689
Dell Axim & TT3
Psion 5mx & Routeplanner
JoolsTwo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alanji wrote:
Try using "point on map" when adding itinerary waypoints - if necessary (eg address) go to "browse map" first and place cursor on where you want to go then go back to itinerary and add point on map. Bit long winded but seems to work.
That's similar to how I use it, use browse map to find the location then select "navigate there". The plan my oririginal journey and travel via "recent destination"

Another option is to browse the map and add places as favourites, then plan a route via several favourites.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: